Immaterial question – Greek spelling of antiX

Forum Forums General Other Languages Greek Immaterial question – Greek spelling of antiX

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Mar 28-10:58 am by ProwlerGr.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

As antiX 21 (runit at least) appears to be so perfectly architected and bug-free that hardly any issues related to this version are being reported, just an immaterial question:
      Considering Greece as headquarters of antiX, what actually is the Greek spelling of antiX?
      Is it:
      – αντίΞ
      – άντηΞ
      – άντυΞ
      – …

I apologize if this is well known and I just failed to effectively search this forum…
      Thanks and Regards.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by olsztyn.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

I have never seen antiX written with Greek letters on any Greek linux forums discussing it.

I guess if it were transliterated it would be άντιΞ

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

Thank you…

fungalnet

αντιΧ ΑΝΤΙΧ

appears better to me than Ξ
            The way you would pronounce it in Greek would be just like antiques 🙂

olsztyn

αντιΧ ΑΝΤΙΧ
              appears better to me than Ξντ
              The way you would pronounce it in Greek would be just like antiques

I do appreciate your preference, namely keeping spelling and pronunciation as close to Western way as possible, however my appreciation of purity of Greek standard, I strongly agree with the former stricter choice:

I guess if it were transliterated it would be άντιΞ

Also, while spelling entails pronunciation rules in Greek, then the exact pronunciation of antiX (άντιΞ) should actually sound like ‘addics’, since ‘ντ’ in Greek is spelled as ‘d’.
              Perhaps I am going too far in trying to adhere to purity of Greek, though, with my being opposed to westernization of the sacred Greek or other languages…
              This is just my opinion though, open to other views, of course…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by olsztyn.

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

‘ντ’ in Greek is spelled as ‘d’.

Not always – it is sometimes ‘nt’ or even ‘nd’

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

olsztyn

‘ντ’ in Greek is spelled as ‘d’.

Not always – it is sometimes ‘nt’ or even ‘nd’

Thank you for adding precision. Indeed, there are exceptions to this rule. My assumption that the pronunciation rule applies to antiX is based on the fact that the prefix ‘anti’ (άντι) is typically pronounced like ‘adi’, such as for example ‘anticapitalista’ (αντικαπιταλιστα) is typically pronounced as ‘adikapitalista’ or Φλόριντα (Florida) is typically pronounced as ‘Florida’, where ‘ντ’ is pronounced as ‘d’.
                  In case of antiX I think the creator of the word ‘antiX’ would decide how it should be pronounced, as such word is new to Greek vocabulary…
                  Thanks again for adding precision though. There are exceptions to the rule…

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

In Thessaloniki – anticapitalista is pronounced more like andicapitalista

olsztyn

Thanks much for this info. Good to know…

ProwlerGr

More like andicapitaLLLista you’d mean, lol.
                        I lived-worked-studied in Thessaloniki for a good part of my life (early 90’s until mid 00’s), so I’d know 😉

I have since moved to Melbourne Australia where I am currently based.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.