Important bug warning for leafpad users in antiX 22

Forum Forums General Software Important bug warning for leafpad users in antiX 22

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Dec 3-4:51 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Robin

The »search and replace« function of leafpad as present in antiX 22 is to be considered as broken, it will return improperly replaced instances. Don’t rely on leafpad replacement function until this issue was fixed (bugreport has been filed already).

Example file:

Testgröße: Das ist ein Testverzeichnis
      Testgroesse: Das ist ein Testverzeichnis

If you search for the string »test« it will show the last instance of the string wrongly highlighted:

wrongly matched strings in leafpad

When applying ”search and replace”, it will also replace this very instance to e.g. »TZielerzeichnis« instead of »Zielverzeichnis«, swallowing letter v in the middle of the word and keeping letter »T« in the beginning.

In case you have houndreds of replacements within a file, it can be time consuming to look up and fix all the wrong replacements done by leafpad. While only an annoyance in a simple text file, this behaviour will break any script code you edit in leafpad. Hence I strongly recommend either not to use the »search and replace« function in leafpad, or use geany instead, which does the replacements properly.

I have not checked whether the bug is present in leafpad of earlier antiX versions already.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

christophe

Thanks for that warning. That’s an awful bug if you are expecting accuracy.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

PPC

Man, everyone that runs into a bug should file a bug report as good as yours! I’m just curious – is leafpad really the default text editor in antiX? On mine (antiX 19 and 22 full) it’s always been Geany!

Thanks for the heads up.

P.

Brian Masinick

I used to use Leafpad occasionally for very simple, “notepad”-like edits, but Geany does such a good job, is a similar image size, yet does MORE, so these days Geany is my “go-to” as far as a notepad editor, and practically speaking, for the majority of the editing I do these days; whatever distro doesn’t have it, I either add it or do my editing elsewhere!

I’ve used vi and Emacs too, so I certainly can utilize either Vim, Elvis, or a similar tool, plus GNU Emacs, MicroEmacs, Micro, and a few others, but like I said, these days, it’s usually Geany.

--
            Brian Masinick

Robin

is leafpad really the default text editor in antiX? On mine (antiX 19 and 22 full) it’s always been Geany!

Honestly, I don’t know. I have never checked this, and was simply under the impression it was leafpad. Maybe my recollection dates from antiX 17 and was simply wrong for antiX 19 and 21/22. It is long ago I installed it from ISO, and have the feeling I had manually set it to default to geany, but as said, this is probably wrong recollection simply.

Anyway:

but like I said, these days, it’s usually Geany.

Yes, you are true. I do use and recommend this swiss-knife like editor also (set color scheme to “alternative”). But for many really swift editing tasks squeezed in while running geany already on other projects filled up to the brim with some 10 or 20 documents opened in it, I use leafpad then.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

marcelocripe

Robin, thanks for reporting this bug to the developers.

In antiX 21 and 22, Geany is opened if you click on the first level menu “Text Editor”, but if you open a text file in zzzFM it will be Leafpad. A while ago someone had asked how to change the default text editor.

Some important details, Leafpad “cleans” the formatting of texts copied from internet pages (internet translator and other services) without “damaging” the programming code. Geany does not “clean” the formatting of the texts copied from the internet pages and “damages” the programming code, as well as in the .desktop files that stop working, it is possible to see some characters similar to the letter “o” in the form of rectangles representing the line break of texts copied from internet pages.

– – – – –

Robin, obrigado por reportar esta falha ao desenvolvedores.

No antiX 21 e 22, o Geany é aberto se clicar no menu do primeiro nível “Editor de Texto”, mas se abrir um arquivo de texto no zzzFM será o Leafpad. Há um tempo atrás alguém havia perguntado como alterar o editor de texto padrão.

Alguns detalhes importantes, o Leafpad “limpa” a formatação dos textos copiados nas páginas da internet (tradutor da internet e outros serviços) sem “danificar” o código de programação. O Geany não “limpa” a formatação dos textos copiados nas páginas da internet e “danifica” o código de programação, bem como nos arquivos .desktop que param de funcionar, é possível ver alguns caracteres semelhantes a letra “o” em formato de retângulos representando a quebra de linha dos textos copiados nas páginas da internet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.