Improvements and looks.

Forum Forums News Announcements Improvements and looks.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 70 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by masinick Jan 16-9:59 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    skidoo

I believe your screen print is from IceSound or something like that

When I researched (prior to delving into fluxbox), “IceWMCP” seemed to be last-man-standing as the only iceWM config nerfing tool which is still potentially viable

I don’t recall which version I had downloaded and modded for the icypee kbkeys dialog. Other than some assorted screencaps, these 3 bookmarked URLs are the only refs I currently have onhand:
    https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD/IcewmCP-icecc.tar.gz (27-Nov-2015 ___ 10.8Mb)
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/icesoundmanager/files/Control%20Panel/IceWMCP-3.2/
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/icesoundmanager (already included in icewmcp)

olsztyn

bullying fluxbox outa stock antiX cuz yousez it’s ugly.

I have not seen the post originating such preposterous opinion that fluxbox is ugly though I would strongly disagree with such assessment. IMHO Fluxbox is the most elegant WM from all currently included and the most functional. Also Just want to bring to attention that with current not very good quality fonts used by default in Antix, Fluxbox menus do have good quality fonts, unlike other WMs.

caprea
    caprea

originating such preposterous opinion

Totally agree.No one who has seriously and honestly dealt with antiX would suggest that. antiX has found an excellent way to give the user a choice to customize it to her/his hardware, or her/his own taste. Reducing these choices is by no means an improvement.

skidoo

Recurring posts to both the MX and antiX forums have mentioned new user confusion regarding available persistence settings.
    A “more thorough” description for each option would be helpful but character count is limited within the liveboot F1 help screens (no scrollbar, so ability to scroll to read long texts isn’t visually obvious). Wording in some of the status quo terse descriptions is misleading / inexact / inaccurate and certainly invites confusion, e.g.:

persist_root …. Fast. Only saves root

root user? root filesystem? Changes to files pathed under /home are NOT preserved???

In this case, the terse description is attempting to emphasize the fact that “only” a rootfs save file is created/used. Problem: at this point in his/her reading, the user likely doesn’t need to know, or care, whether or not “only a single savefile” will be utilized. In other words, drowning the user in unnecessary details.

Maybe a fresh pair of eyes reading this “improvements” topic can suggest brilliant wording for these terse descriptions. In the meantime, I’ll suggest that the names themselves could be changed. “persist_all” could become “persist_dual” (emphsizing dual savefiles), leaving that label available for what is currently described as persist_root…

(SMOOSHED to fit 80char line width)
    persist_all ….. Fast(Uses RAM) At shutdown, saves all rootfilesystem changes

ref: Gfxboot :: Help/antiX/en.html

BobC

I installed Absolute Linux, Debian 9, and OpenSuse Leap 15, Mageia, Slackopup, and Scientific Linux, all with IceWM setup to try to find an IceWM desktop with keyboard shortcuts that work similar to antiX, and few have many keys redefined, none have the window tiling or cascade or window/workspace options for the keys, so I can’t tell if they are is an IceWM issues or not, other than to say all of them also occur on my Dell D620 laptop as well as my HP DV9000 series laptop, with and without external keyboard.

Does anyone else running IceWM have the same keyboard shortcut problems?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
    ohh
    ohh

@skidoo,

Great post thank you for the clarifications 🙂

cheers,
    ohh

Every matter requires prior knowledge.

- Du Mu
    The Art of War

ohh
    ohh

BobC wrote:

I installed Absolute Linux, Debian 9, and OpenSuse Leap 15, Mageia, Slackopup, and Scientific Linux, all with IceWM setup to try to find an IceWM desktop with keyboard shortcuts that work similar to antiX, and few have many keys redefined, none have the window tiling or cascade or window/workspace options for the keys, so I can’t tell if they are is an IceWM issues or not, other than to say all of them also occur on my Dell D620 laptop as well as my HP DV9000 series laptop, with and without external keyboard.

Does anyone else running IceWM have the same keyboard shortcut problems?

from Preferences
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeN="Ctrl+Alt+KP_8"
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeNE="Ctrl+Alt+KP_9"
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeE="Ctrl+Alt+KP_6"
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeSE="Ctrl+Alt+KP_3"
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeS="Ctrl+Alt+KP_2"
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeSW="Ctrl+Alt+KP_1"
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeW="Ctrl+Alt+KP_4"
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeNW="Ctrl+Alt+KP_7"
    does nothing - KeyWinArrangeC="Ctrl+Alt+KP_5"

Does nothing on my #keys on right side of keyboard, but they do work for numbers across the top row.
    Just found that using on my iMac 5.1 aluminum keyboard that the sequence of
    Command +Shift+KP8, etc, does move the active window in all directions,
    The Command key on an iMac seems equivalent to Windows Key on that op sys.

cheers,
    ohh

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by ohh.

- Du Mu
    The Art of War

BobC

Ohh, I think you might be referring to the WinGrid keys, which do also work on mine…

From Keys

# Wingrid 
    works - key "Ctrl+1" wingrid-left.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+2" wingrid-right.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+3" wingrid-top.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+4" wingrid-bottom.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+5" wingrid-topleft.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+6" wingrid-topright.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+7" wingrid-bottomleft.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+8" wingrid-bottomright.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+9" wingrid-maximize.sh
    works - key "Ctrl+0" wingrid-close.sh
    linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Hey anticapitalista,

you wrote in post #14858:

11. Xscreensaver has a very annoying nag screen. Also it is much heavier than a simple lock. 
    Finally, it is very easy to install.

For anyone who wants to get rid of the nag screen all you have to
    do is run this in a terminal each time after you install it.

xscreensaver -nosplash

or put it in your startup file
    “control center — edit setings for your wm — startup tab” then enter it
    under the

#!/bin/bash

line for icewm and save. It will then start everytime you login without
    that nagging screen.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: make easier to read

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

ohh
    ohh

BobC wrote:

Ohh, I think you might be referring to the WinGrid keys, which do also work on mine…

From Keys

Yes, you are correct, I did not read the entire post, duh!
    My bad.

cheers,
    ohh

- Du Mu
    The Art of War

skidoo

The scrolling problem is there in Geany but not Firefox where if you click on the scroll bar to move one page up or down, you might go 10 pages instead

Scrolling behavior in geany mathces my expectation. I skimmed the posts in this topic, search for ‘geany’, and couldn’t find your description of the perceived geany scrolling problem.

Firefox. Geez there are now about 100 prefkeys when I visit about:config and search ‘scroll’. I’ll suggest you try fiddling with the values of the general.SmoothScroll.* prefs. This detail (scroll behavior within firefox) I think it’s beyond the scope of improved, pre-configured, distro defaults.

I would prefer finding a default GTK3 theme which does not force “skinny” scrollbars. I would also prefer not finding defaults setup to “have muh browser colors and such follow the desktop theme”. Ah well, that’s fodder for a “things to do/tweak after installing” topic.

BobC

I also don’t like skinny scrollbars, and don’t like scrollbars that hide and pop-up. I want them easy to see and click on and I would really like good sized, well contrasted arrows at the ends of the scrollbars.

So you must either like Geany scrollbar just whizzing past everything, or you fixed it somehow, I think. I think the scrollbars should work the same in all the apps to provide consistent results so people don’t need to think about it, whether it will take them a page or position them someplace. Laptops don’t usually have the page keys in the same place from one to the next, and that’s why I rather use the scrollbar to page.

My hope is for things to be reasonable and consistent in the default setup so I don’t have to remember how to change them, and have to go through it all after installing.

BobC

Here is a pic of Geany on my main system, not defaults. The scrollbars are very visible, scroll properly, and have easy to see/click on arrows, etc. Ok, I don’t care what color as long as its reasonable and has good contrast, but I make enough mistakes without the editor working against me…

Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

fugly will be the response …

The default gtk theme is arc (antiX-17 set).
    Change it to any other theme via the control centre (and/or install other themes) and pick one that *consistently* does what you want it to do for many apps eg geany, firefox, leafpad, rox and luckybackup (ie a mixture of gtk2, gtk3, qt apps). let me know one you think does the job better (and looks reasonably good).

(‘You’ is generic, not specific to any poster)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

BobC

Here is the same view from a default install. Call mine fugly if you like, but on the default the scollbars are skinny and hard to see/click on and have no arrows at the ends to use. The particular color isn’t important as long as its not butt ugly, and gives decent contrast. I did spend a day trying the themes in control centre and icewm and the only one that was close was icewm metal2 with crux, but I had to hand hack the color of crux, as the purple was too much for me.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
    Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.