Improving Topic Organization in Forum Categories

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Improving Topic Organization in Forum Categories

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 24-6:53 am by MasterPythoner.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MasterPythoner

When navigating through the different categories in the forum, such as “Tips and Tricks,” “Development,” “Welcome to antiX,” or any other category, we notice that four specific topics are consistently displayed at the top of all subcategories, regardless of the category we’re in. These topics are:

1-“Upgrading antiX – don’ts”
      2-“Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie”
      3-“antiX-21/22 to antiX-23”
      4-“Unofficial antiX 23 Frequently Asked Questions”

It is understandable that these four topics are significant and deserve attention, but their repetition across all categories may not be the most effective way to present them.
      When users enter a specific category like “antiX respins,” they expect to see the latest and most relevant topics pertaining to that particular category at the top, rather than generic topics like “Upgrading antiX – don’ts.”
      Suggestion:
      Instead of repeatedly displaying these four topics across all categories, it is recommended to consider creating a dedicated category on the main page specifically for these important topics. By doing so, users can easily access them when needed, without cluttering the subcategory listings with redundant information.
      This approach will ensure that the most relevant and recent topics within each subcategory are prominently displayed, providing a better user experience and easier navigation.
      I hope this suggestion resonates with the community’s needs and aligns with the goal of enhancing the forum’s overall organization and usability. Please feel free to provide your valuable feedback or alternative perspectives on this matter.

calciumsodium

Maybe create a new category:

Frequently asked questions/topics

and put these recurring topics in that category?

MasterPythoner

Maybe create a new category:

Frequently asked questions/topics

and put these recurring topics in that category?

that’s a good suggestions.
          are these repetitive topics bothering me alone?
          I just can’t understand the logic .
          why showing these 4 topics , in “every” subcategory?!

calciumsodium

I also think that the repetitive topics also distract from the purpose of the subcategory.

Many times, these repetitive topics do not pertain to the subcategory.

So, it does not seem to make logical sense.

Therefore, they take away from the significant of these important topics.

I understand, however, that if you don’t show these repetitive topics everywhere, then people will not find them or they won’t bother to find them.

A catch-22?

Are there any ideas to how to improve of the layout of the antixforum?

sybok

How about creating a new block on the forum main page and put links to the aforementioned sticky-posts there?
              The title of the link can be the title of the corresponding topic.

Location in the main page:
              1) below “Announcements” on the main forum page titled e.g. “Essentials”
              OR
              2) in the right-hand-side pane akin to “Quick Links” and title it “Essential Links”

But perhaps, being stuck to every forum has a reason – it’s there for every new user not to (easily) miss it.

MasterPythoner

being stuck to every forum has a reason – it’s there for every new user not to (easily) miss it.

It seems this issue may have gone unnoticed or unmentioned until now.
                An alternate possibility is that while it is a problem with the WordPress platform, the website developer has no plans to allocate time and resources towards resolving it.

calciumsodium

An idea came to me last night.

One of things I mostly do when I go to the antixforum is go to the dropdown menu for Forum.

I think many forum members do this also.

In this dropdown menu has

Recent Posts
                  Latest Topics
                  Most popular topics
                  etc

Can we add another menu called “Frequently Asked Questions” and put those 4 sticky topics under that menu?

The dropdown menu could be

Recent Posts
                  Frequently Asked Questions
                  Lastest Topics
                  etc.

MasterPythoner

Can we add another menu called “Frequently Asked Questions” and put those 4 sticky topics under that menu?

The dropdown menu could be

Recent Posts
                    Frequently Asked Questions
                    Lastest Topics
                    etc.

this is also a good idea . I don’t know how , but I think it’s necessary to remove these 4 topics from top of all categories. and put them somewhere else .
                    we will appreciate if @anticapitalista contributes in this discussion, and shares his opinion on this subject

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.