incessant (er, periodic, rhythmic, neverending) network activity

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco, Hannie Schaft, Manolis Glezos” incessant (er, periodic, rhythmic, neverending) network activity

• This topic has 40 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Apr 3-4:16 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Very definitely connman trying to connect to NTP server. Still trying to figure out how it all links together, giving connman some
    settings quietens it. NTP servers and DNS. The interval lenthens as expected once the data base is built up.

I have also got it to set system time using the inbuilt function after skewing time settings on purpose. (unless another well hidden
    function is doing that). No reboot just a wait time.
    Antix reads system clock on boot to set time, up to now that is all I have found. No NTP daemon is running.

It is definitely not a router or network problem, the connman man page describes the NTP workings.
    At the start connman kept trying to connect to my router config interface page. No chance as password protected.

a few blips with 500 bytes or less, I wouldn’t even raise an eyelid in wonder.

Should enough kids take own laptops to school or antiX gets installed on School laptops we would get a pretty interesting situation.
    the query-to-response ratio is anywhere between 20:1 and 200:1 or more, connman is querying about every three seconds times 26
    to 30 machines and ip adresses for one class.

Trouble, for sure the admin would be somewhat perturbed. er Livid. Possibly the cable network provider too..

Seems time to ressurect this thread as Bullseye a2 Runit is clearly affected by the connman requests for NTP issue.

This is definitely a connmann issue which badly needs fixing, As skidoo stated take out connmann without any other
    changes the inaccessant requests dissapear instantly. I can confirm that is absolutely correct.
    as is result of: sudo watch -n 1 netstat -aenp which will confirm that the problem is connmann.
    (Also a command posted by skidoo),

Only a few blips amounts with the standard connmann setup frequency of every 2 seconds to 30 requests a minute,
    on the HDD install the disk is audibly activated at that frequency. Makes 1800 requests an hour, 43,200 in 24 Hours !!!.
    USB is affected in the same way.

This is an issue for which a fix is known, actually several, among others switch to CENI, or my preference, setup connman
    as standard in such a way that this issue no longer occurs with antiX. How that can be done in two ways also posted earlier
    in this thread.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

We definitely need to look into this.
    Is anyone seeing any difference in behaviour with the latest bullseye-a2 between sysvinit and runit version?
    What about kernel differences (5.10 v 4.9)?
    Thanks

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Hallo anticapitalista, thanks for looking at this, it is worrying.

Both kernels with runit same issue, giving connman backup nameservers and timeservers is no longer fixing the issue
    as it did in 19.
    I can setup a sysvinit stick tomorrow and see if there is any difference.

XecureXecure

giving connman backup nameservers and timeservers is no longer fixing the issue

Because it is not the same issue. This has nothing to do with NTP queries.

I am testing the sysvinit version of bullseye-a2 (live USB + root_persist on 5.10 kernel) and I can only see (on wifi) what looks like normal router and other wifi devices requests. No constant HD writing issues.

I have attached a picture of Wireshark activity, so any expert can point out anything suspicious. At least I don’t see anything, but I am no expert.

May I politely request that this thread returns to factual examination of a problem. A number of earlier posts were way off that.

@xecure,
    First line of my post:
    Seems time to ressurect this thread as Bullseye a2 Runit is clearly affected by the connman requests for NTP issue.

you write I am testing the sysvinit version of bullseye-a2 (live USB + root_persist on 5.10 kernel) and I can only see
    (on wifi) what looks like normal router and other wifi devices requests. No constant HD writing issues.

Maybe there is a difference between the sysv init version and the runit setup causing this issue to surface again.
    I have been easily able to confirm is from connmann.

The network requests are clearly clearly visible using top, or sudo watch -n 1 netstat -aenp as suggested by skidoo.

Audible due a fast and noisy harddisk which pointed me to this problem after Bullseye Runit a2 installation on a stable
    core 2 duo fujitsu tower.

I had been running live Bullseye with sysv init from usb stick, stressed with corona issues and maybe overlooked the network
    problem, or it is not present on the sysv version.

# Normal behaviour of connmann is to frequently request NTP until its base data is reaching a set stability level, after
    that point is reached activity reduces to a call about every 20 minutes. As on my antiX 19.3 installations none of which
    display this issue after fix.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: Removed all masinick comments from this thread
    XecureXecure

I will latter test the runnit version, but switching from connman to ceni in the sysvinit version gives me the exact same network activity, where NTP is not involved. I will test installed (which has no services disabled by default compared to live-USB), that should be a better test.

XecureXecure

@ModdIt I cannot get any ntp related activity observed in wireshark on antix21-a2 runnit live with connman. Jut a lot of talk with other local IPs and the same preious queries.

Can you show us net activity with wireshark when the system is on idle? I cannot reproduce your experience. Maybe provide the output you mentioned before:

The network requests are clearly clearly visible using top, or sudo watch -n 1 netstat -aenp as suggested by skidoo.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xecure. Reason: link wireshark image

I used top, and sudo watch -n 1 netstat -aenp as suggested by skidoo to see what was going on on my computers.
    We are on wired connections most of the time.

Giving connmann a full set of timeservers and (non tracking) DNS servers as well as adding
    fallback timeservers.
    fallback DNS servers
    and probably irrelevant for the problem PreferredTechnologies =ethernet,wifi has after waiting a while
    now brought the network requests down to an acceptable level, minutes not seconds now.

With the settings you had suggested earlier in this thread that did not happen. How and why I do not know.

I downloaded Bullseye runit twice, always check downloads. Used both Live sticks, both as downloaded and updated.
    Installed to HDD which was where I became aware of the issue.

So as no other changes have been made culprit is once again clearly connmann not having the settings it needs to be happy
    same as in 19. I have now given it exactly the same working setup..

I have now a quiet network on the Alpha 2, will not spend more time to investigate until a Beta is released.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Being unaware of this behavior as a usual conman user myself instead of ceni. Never thought of it.

Also being one who uses his phone data plan as a router while being in no internet spots on his motorcycle from time to time while camping in the boondocks.
    Like my abandoned ranch.

I’ll just mention for those with limited data plans on their phones. My phone plan currently is unlimited data usage. But I have rolled with pay as you go sim cards like H20 which I know data plans are limited.
    This might really be a big issue for some in this situation. Limited data plan using phone as a router. If using Conman.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.