Install an Epson Perfection V500 Scanner (& others) on antix19.4-core

Forum Forums General Hardware Install an Epson Perfection V500 Scanner (& others) on antix19.4-core

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated Aug 20-3:10 pm by mikey777.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

SUMMARY

This tutorial describes how I installed an Epson Perfection V500 scanner on antiX19.4-core+LXDE, and uses the Simple Scan application However, it also appears suitable for installing some other models of Epson Perfection (2450, 3200, V700, V750, 636, 636S, 1200, 1200S), Epson Expression 800, Epson GT (9700, 9700F, 9800, 9800F, X900) and HP Scanjet ( IIc, IIcx, IIp, 4c, 4p, 5p, 6200C, 6300C).

I’ve divided the tutorial into three sections:
    A. Instructions for Installation
    B. Comments on Scanner Applications
    C. Acknowledgements

A – INSTRUCTONS FOR INSTALLATION

(1) Install the following essential items using terminal:

~$ sudo apt update
    ~$ sudo apt install xsltproc sane sane-utils libsane libsane-common simple-scan

If your scanner has the older scsi cable connection, instead of USB, then you’ll need to add scsitools to the above list for installation. Xsltproc appeared essential – without it the scanner didn’t work, irrespective of the scanner application chosen – it appears needed for processing the iscan data, referred to in (5) & (6) below.

(2) Open antiX User Manager: click on Group Membership tab, select the User to change, then tick the boxes for saned and scanner. Click Apply then close

(3) Download the package iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb.tar.gz (version for Debian) from
    http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan.php?model=gt-x770&version=2.30.43

Note: there is a more recent package available from Epson, i.e. imagescan-bundle-debian-10-3.65.0.x64.deb.tar.gz, but I haven’t tested it.

(4) Point the terminal to wherever you’ve downloaded the above tar.gz package (I’ve used Desktop) & extract it:

~$ cd /home/username/Desktop
    ~/Desktop$ tar xaf iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb.tar.gz

(5) Navigate to the extracted package and list its contents:

~/Desktop$ cd iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb
    ~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb$ ls
    60-iscan.rules	core  data  install.sh	plugins  README.rst

Note: the file 60-iscan.rules lists the other Epson and Scanjet models that can be installed with this software – to read it, simply click to open. These models have been listed in the SUMMARY (above).

(6) Now look inside the data, core and plugins folders. You’ll see each contains a *.deb package – install these packages: first from data, then core, then finally from plugins. The order is important. I found that I had to escalate privileges to su to enable installation of these packages (sudo didn’t work) as follows:

(6a) Data:

~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb $ cd /home/username/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data 
    ~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data $ su
    password
    ~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data # dpkg -i iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb

If you’re installing the Epson Perfection V500, which is not listed in the file 60-iscan.rules, then the output from terminal will give some errors:
    (Reading database ... 114115 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb ... Unpacking iscan-data (1.39.2-1) over (1.39.2-1) ... Setting up iscan-data (1.39.2-1) ... expr: syntax error: missing argument after ‘-’ tail: invalid number of lines: ‘/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules’ Processing triggers for eudev (246:3.2.9.1.0antix4) ...

For now, don’t worry about these errors – they will be dealt with below in (8). They arise because the V500 scanner is not listed in the 60-libsane.rules file. If instead you’re installing one of the other models listed in this file, these errors are not expected to appear, and step (8) will therefore be unnecessary.

(6b) Core

~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data # cd  /home/username/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/core
    ~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/core # dpkg -i iscan_2.30.4-2_amd64.deb

(6c) Plugins

~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/core #  cd  /home/username/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/plugins 
    ~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/plugins # dpkg -i iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.3-1_amd64.deb

(7) To establish that the scanner is now identified by your computer, use scanimage -L. The terminal output below confirms that it is:

~$ sudo scanimage -L 
    device <code>epkowa:interpreter:002:002' is a Epson Perfection V500 flatbed scanner

(8) However, you’ll notice that your Epson Perfection V500 scanner still wont work, when clicking on the scanner icon in Menu, irrespective of the scanner application you’re using. This is because the errors thrown up in (6a) need to be fixed. Again, I needed to escalate admin privileges to su to enable me to do this:

(8a) Symlink the following two library files:
    # ln -sf /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane

(8b) Create a file in the /etc/udev/rules.d folder and name it 79-udev-epson.rules (I’m using leafpad as text editor):
    # leafpad /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules

(8c) Press the Return key, and the new file will automatically open. Add the following text to the file:

# chmod device EPSON group 
    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="EPSON", DRIVERS=="usb", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="*", MODE="0777"

Save file and Close.

Your now done: reboot the system – clicking on the scanner icon should now enable the scanner.

B – COMMENTS ON SCANNER APPLICATIONS

In this tutorial I have used the Simple Scan application. In Synaptic Package Manager, you have a choice of different scanner applications to download and install. Below is a list of the ones I’ve looked at, with the default file extension (within brackets) used for the scanned documents:
    • Simple Scan (*.pdf)
    • Scanlite (*.png)
    • XSane (*.pnm)
    • Image Scan! For Linux (*.pcx)

Simple Scan and Image Scan! don’t appear to have a choice of file extensions outside of the default one, whereas Scanlite and Xsane do. Xsane is probably the best choice if you want a scanner app with multiple features to allow you to manipulate different aspects of scanned images: alternatively you can achieve that using image manipulation software such as Gimp.

If you do use the XSane application, you’ll need to install xsane and xsane-common – see step (1).

My personal choice is Simple Scan as I only need it for simple office admin tasks, where image manipulation is not required.

C – ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Many sincere thanks to the following forum members who contributed ideas and comments on my initial post at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/difficulty-installing-an-epson-scanner/ – their help was crucial in solving how to install the V500 scanner:
    • caprea (#64849) who suggested xsltproc
    • Robin (#64934) for scsitools
    • rokytnji (#64978) for using dpkg instead of apt or apt-get in step (6), and finally
    • Xecure (#65013) for the link https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=8127.0 which allowed solving the data package error at step (8)

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by mikey777.

antix19.4-core+LXDE installed on the following:
    (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    (2008) Asus X71Q – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series (Integrated)
    (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.