Install AntiX with 96MB of ram

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Install AntiX with 96MB of ram

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by BitJam Nov 1-12:07 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Credit goes to Jens

My old computer for testing has 96MB Ram. If I run X I can just run one program at a time.

The antiX-15-V_386-core-libre.iso needs less Ram to install antiX then antiX-16. I booted the CD without splash, w/o quiet and with textmode (vga=ask). I installed the base and updated the software and always updated the config files to the new maintainer version. The kernel 4.0.5-gnu-antix.1-486-smp didn’t have the right firmware file(s) available for internet connection (core-libre CD?) , so I used a USB stick for copying the 4.4.10 kernel and firmware packages.
    The sound chip needs a non-free file and I used the tutorial from https://wiki.debian.org/snd-cs46xx .

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

masinick
    masinick

Cool! Once upon a time I could fit one of our much earlier releases (probably between 6.5 and 8.5) into between 60-80 MB with a GUI and a terminal window open when logged in). Adding a browser would shoot up the memory requirements, but back then I could easily fit the entire system into RAM and often ran antiX from memory after the initial system loading process. Ah, those were truly the days! 🙂

My Dell Dimension 4100 desktop had only 256 MB RAM and a couple of 40 GB disk drives. My current 64-bit system, in contrast, has 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB disk drive – I have something like 12 100 GB disk PARTITIONS – so one partition has more space than BOTH of the disks on that 15-20 year old Dell Desktop! The Dell had ZERO support issues, always booted, always worked until it’s last day.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

BTW: using static root persistence can save some megs on the live system since file system changes will get saved directly in the rootfs file and not in RAM. I believe the RAM used for the file system shows up as “cached” when you run the “free” command. To get close to the true amount used I use the command:echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; free -m
    The cached amount should be smaller if you are using static root persistence.

If you want to go out past the bleeding edge, you could try using the cheat “bp=b9” and then run the installer from that breakpoint. I doubt it will work. When you are done, use “reboot” or “powerdown”.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.