[solved]Install german langpack in Seamonkey

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions [solved]Install german langpack in Seamonkey

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Oct 15-5:48 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kexs

Good morning,
    Currently, Seamonkey 2.53.8.1 is installed in English. Would like to have Seamonkey in German. I have installed antix-19- full- on Thinkpad T41.
    On the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
    There are several downloads available for this.
    For example, the package “seamonkey-2.53.8.1.de.linux-i686.tar.bz2”
    and ….. “seamonkey-2.53.8.1.de.Langpack.XPI”.
    I have already downloaded this XPI extension. In which folder exactly did I insert this extension?
    Or am I wrong with this extension and I should install the German version of Seamonkey (—> SEAMONKEY-2.53.8.1.de.linux-i686.tar.bz2)?
    Seamonkey himself is really good.
    Herzliche Grüße
    Kexs

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Kexs.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: edited title to solved
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Hi.
    It is not very intuitive.

1. Go to the
    about:addons
    page inside seamonkey to the Languages option (on the left).

2. Now, download the German language add-on (for the current version, it is this file, but for future readers, the add-ons page will show a link at the right saying “Get more language packs …”, which after clicking will lead to the language packs page, where you search for the one for your language).

3. After downloading, open your Downloads folder in your file manager, and drag and drop the language-pack .xpi file from your Downloads folder to seamonkey’s window. It will ask you to install the language pack (say yes).

4. After that, click the “Switch” button in the Add-ons page, Language tab. Select German from the drop-down box, click Close and then restart seamonkey. When seamonkey launches again, it will be in German.

0. [OPTIONAL] Go to this link and download this quick language switcher (plugin to make switching between languages easy from the menu, may not work on newer versions of seamonkey):
    https://addons.thunderbird.net/seamonkey/downloads/latest/simple-locale-switcher/type:attachment/addon-463075-latest.xpi?src=cb-dl-mostpopular
    Save it to your download folder.
    Open seamonkey and go to this page
    open your Downloads folder and drag and drop the file you downloaded at the beginning of this message to the opened seamonkey window. It will ask you if you want to install the add-on (say yes).
    After that, it will enable a simple language switcher (this switcher is not necessary).

Let me know if I missed something or you got stuck on any step.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Xecure.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Xecure.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Xecure. Reason: Change order

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Kexs
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Secure,
    Thank you very much! It works. Your explanation is very well described and I was able to change Seamonkey to my home language. Excellent! And thank you!
    My problem is solved. 🙂

orthodox42
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure
    I followed the instructions above but the menue is still in English. What is the langpack actually supposed to do?
    Thank you

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

First, make sure you have the latest seamonkey version.

1. Inside seamonkey, go to

2. On the left panel, select the last item (“Languages”).

3. On the right there is a text in blue that says something similar to “Get more Language packs”. Click it.

4. A new tab will appear with a list of files. Find the one related to your language and download it.

5. Open your “Downloads” folder and drag and drop the language pack to the seamonkey window. It will ask if you want to install. Say “Install Now”.

6. Go back to the “about:addons” tab and Language section. At the top, beside the previous link you clicked (“Get more Language packs”), you can see that the current language is English United Sates, and beside it a button that says “switch”. Click the button and select your recently installed language in the dropdown menu. Apply.

7. Click the “restart seamoneky now” option or close seamonkey, wait for a few seconds. Launch seamonkey again.

Done.

orthodox42
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you! Though my version seems to be a bit different, menue is now in german, after I installed the quick language switcher plugin. Before, there was no drop down menue, but only one language entry (english US).
    Thank you for the quick answer.
    Antix is great!

best regards

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by orthodox42.
    orthodox42
    Helpful
    Up

Now as everything is working I just can’t reconstruct exactly why it works now.

After installing the quick language switcher plugin I had a drop down possibility (one!) to change languages under the second menue entry from the left “Edit” (in german “Bearbeiten”) last entry “Einstellungen”/ new window first entry there “Erscheinungsbild” . There I have the possibility to switch between english and german.

After I did that I found the blue text line in the “about:addons” window “weitere Sprachpakete laden” which leads you to exactly that mozilla.org page where I got my “seamonkey-2.53.9.1.de.langpack.xpi” from.

From the beginning:

-installed antix
    -changed language to german
    -opened seamonkey (2.53.9.1)
    -language english
    -tried to installed the wrong package from your post (2.53.8.1)
    -Got the message cannot be installed
    -got the newer version langpack 2.53.9.1
    -installed
    -still everything in english
    -installed the quick language switcher plugin
    -found then the drop down menue (in “Erscheinungsbild”) to switch between english and german.

Sorry, but I can’t say whether the drop down menue was already there after installing the langpack 2.53.9.1 or only after installing the language switcher plugin. 🙁

Anyway thanks so much for your help!

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Sorry, but I can’t say whether the drop down menue was already there after installing the langpack 2.53.9.1 or only after installing the language switcher plugin.

You are right. I forgot to add in the instructions to install the simple locale switcher. This is what enables the box for fast switching in the Language tab in about:addons.

Thanks for correcting the instructions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.