Install to hard disk with antiX USB live menu options

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Install to hard disk with antiX USB live menu options

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jun 14-11:59 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Danathar

Is there a way to install AntiX to a non-usb (internal) HD but still get all the cool features like toram and root persistence? I thought I could do it with a frugal install but I’d like to encrypt things and it looks like the stuff saved to the frugal partition is not encrypted.

I’ve got an old Toshiba laptop with 2GB of memory on it and a 40GB hard drive (It’s got a nice big screen and the keyboard is great which is why I keep it). The USB ports kinda slow, so taking the time to load everything into RAM makes the system run WAY faster, but can’t really do that with a regular hard drive install.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Danathar.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Danathar.
    • This topic was modified 1 week ago by christophe. Reason: removed "grub" from title since the accepted "solution" is independent of grub
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

visit forum main page

type into search box: frugal encryped

The second search result, #51149, answers (yes, there is) “a way”

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

You could try from antiX 19.4, as the announcement claims that encrypted frugal is now possible.

https://antixlinux.com/antix-19-4-available/
    Changes:
    […]
    * frugal install to encrypted partition supported

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

If you are interested, here’s how to turn your computer’s hard drive into non-removable antiX live USB:
    (This is for legacy bios. I haven’t done this on a uefi computer.)

1. Make sure this is what you want to do! (It is reversible, of course.)

2. Boot with a live-usb. Start the live usb maker from the command line:
    sudo live-usb-maker --force=usb
    You have to use that parameter, to get the program to “see” your hard drive as a candidate.

3. Live-usb-maker should allow you to pick your hdd as the target. Let the live-usb-maker do its thing. You can clone the live-usb you booted with, or choose an iso file, as usual. (If you clone your current system, I recommend remastering (& rebooting) first, because live-usb-maker won’t copy over your persistence files for you.) Once it’s done, shut down, remove the live-usb that you were using.

4. Upon boot, the hard drive behaves just like a live-usb, but first you have to adjust one thing: once you get to the splash/options screen, add the boot code:
    from=hd
    Make sure you “save” (F8).

5. Now it’s a non-removable antiX live-usb!

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by christophe. Reason: clarification
    Danathar
    Helpful
    Up

If you are interested, here’s how to turn your computer’s hard drive into non-removable antiX live USB:
    (This is for legacy bios. I haven’t done this on a uefi computer.)

1. Make sure this is what you want to do! (It is reversible, of course.)

2. Boot with a live-usb. Start the live usb maker from the command line:
    sudo live-usb-maker --force=usb
    You have to use that parameter, to get the program to “see” your hard drive as a candidate.

3. Live-usb-maker should allow you to pick your hdd as the target. Let the live-usb-maker do its thing. You can clone the live-usb you booted with, or choose an iso file, as usual. (If you clone your current system, I recommend remastering (& rebooting) first, because live-usb-maker won’t copy over your persistence files for you.) Once it’s done, shut down, remove the live-usb that you were using.

4. Upon boot, the hard drive behaves just like a live-usb, but first you have to adjust one thing: once you get to the splash/options screen, add the boot code:
    from=hd
    Make sure you “save” (F8).

5. Now it’s a non-removable antiX live-usb!

Thanks! That’s exactly the instruction I was looking for! I’m assuming encryption should work as expected?

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Danathar.
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

that post #61685 by christophe would be a great future topic in tips-n-tricks

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by skidoo.
    christophe
    Helpful
    Up

I “expect” it to.

I have never used an encrypted live-usb, so I dont know personally.

Theoretically, it should.

Be sure to tell us, if you do it. 😉

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by christophe.
    olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you christophe!
    I did not know… Looks to me it opens a new approach in some of my implementations of antiX as a dedicated system for a specific purpose, running with no persistence…
    Greatly appreciate this discovery…
    Thanks and regards…
    Update:
    Done. Running from Live sda hard disk…
    This seems to open new possibilities too…
    Thanks and regards…

• This reply was modified 6 days, 20 hours ago by olsztyn.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.