Install trouble, get login, and write errors

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Install trouble, get login, and write errors

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Feb 8-2:40 am by Domarius.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DomariusDomarius

All the guides I can find seem to be written in a way that getting antiX installed is elementary, so I’m not sure what’s wrong.

I downloaded http://mirror.datamossa.io/mxlinux-iso/ANTIX/Final/antiX-19/antiX-19.3_x64-full.iso , I understand this to be the full version, 64bit. Wrote it to USB with Etcher.

It booted fine, I chose the default option, then chose the first option for video device. Pressed Enter to continue.

Then it got stuck on the loading screen for ages where it says “ALT+F1 for load details” and “ALT+F10 to return here”. When I pressed ALT+F1 it was asking for a login.

I rebooted and got the same result, so looking at the instructions on screen, I logged in as root, and then ran the command line install. I got passed the questions OK but when it started to write it spammed a “input/output error, Retrying” message over and over.

If this isn’t sufficient info, let me know, I’ll run it again and take photos of the screen at key points.

XecureXecure

Depending on your computer hardware, we may be able to identify the problem. Please give us the output of
    inxi -Fxz
    that you see on the terminal. We need:
    CPU model, GPU model, aprox. age of the computer, drivers that loaded for each of the CPU, Audio, Video, etc.
    Also, we need to understand what this means:

It booted fine, I chose the default option, then chose the first option for video device. Pressed Enter to continue.

Does your boot screen look like this the first screen or the second screen?
    LEGACY_BIOS boot
    UEFI Boot

DomariusDomarius

Depending on your computer hardware, we may be able to identify the problem. Please give us the output of
    inxi -Fxz
    that you see on the terminal. We need:
    CPU model, GPU model, aprox. age of the computer, drivers that loaded for each of the CPU, Audio, Video, etc.

Approximate age is Windows Vista era I think. The manual I found online for this model mentions Vista. (It was donated to me so I don’t know much of it’s history – it had Windows 7 on it when I got it, so it’s been through some changes I’d say).
    I booted off a manjaro live boot USB I had laying around;

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ inxi -Fxz
    System:
      Kernel: 5.9.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 
      Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
    Machine:
      Type: Portable System: Dell product: Studio XPS 1340 v: A11 
      serial: <filter> 
      Mobo: Dell model: 0Y525R v: A11 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: A11 
      date: 09/08/2009 

Battery:
      ID-1: BAT0 charge: 70.7 Wh condition: 73.2/73.3 Wh (100%) 
      model: SIMPLO Dell status: Discharging 
    CPU:
      Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo P8700 bits: 64 type: MCP 
      arch: Penryn rev: A L2 cache: 3 MiB 
      flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 bogomips: 10137 
      Speed: 1600 MHz min/max: 1600/2534 MHz boost: enabled 
      Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1600 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce G210M] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau 
      v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0 
      Device-2: NVIDIA C79 [GeForce 9400M G] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau 
      v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.0 
      Device-3: Ricoh Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
      bus ID: 2-3:2 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: nouveau 
      unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1280x800~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: NVAC v: 3.3 Mesa 20.3.1 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: NVIDIA MCP79 High Definition Audio vendor: Dell 
      driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:08.0 
      Device-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
      bus ID: 02:00.1 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.9.16-1-MANJARO 
    Network:
      Device-1: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: forcedeth 
      v: kernel port: 30d0 bus ID: 00:0a.0 
      IF: enp0s10 state: down mac: <filter> 
      Device-2: Broadcom BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN vendor: Dell 
      driver: b43-pci-bridge v: N/A port: 5000 bus ID: 06:00.0 
      IF-ID-1: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 469.37 GiB used: 110.5 MiB (0.0%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9500420ASG size: 465.76 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler G3 
      size: 3.61 GiB 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 2.7 GiB used: 110.5 MiB (4.0%) fs: overlay 
      source: ERR-102 
    Swap:
      Alert: No Swap data was found. 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 65.0 C mobo: N/A 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
      GPU: device: nouveau temp: 42.0 C device: nouveau temp: 64.0 C 
    Info:
      Processes: 187 Uptime: 3m Memory: 3.6 GiB used: 1.01 GiB (28.1%) 
      Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: N/A Packages: 1264 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.0 
      inxi: 3.2.01 

Also, we need to understand what this means:

Does your boot screen look like this the first screen or the second screen?
    LEGACY_BIOS boot
    UEFI Boot

It looks like the first screen.

What I see in detail:
    The menu you get as soon as you boot off the USB image, I press enter. I assume this would be the one to boot into live mode or install it directly.
    Then you get asked which video device (something I haven’t seen on other distros, so I thought it was worth mentioning). I chose the first of the 2 options, it seems fine because I still can see everything from that point on.
    Then for some reason it wants you to press Enter to continue, so I do.

Actually here’s a series of photos of what I see, that should help. This is each step of the way. The last 2 show the screen I get stuck on, so I press F1 and get the login…
    https://gyazo.com/2a904d79a6f8cee63c93b20531a58d12
    https://gyazo.com/5fb18ec0327645760ac33edba100503c
    https://gyazo.com/6f483cace750813d7d63c7088d4170e1
    https://gyazo.com/85da9fb28c6153e699deeebb5b3a5b96
    https://gyazo.com/97a77aa28d86916f6234b3c9fbc85946

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Domarius.
    XecureXecure

Hi.
    Sorry, I didn’t have much time today.

Seeing this screenshot, I now understand what you meant. We usually don’t see this menu except if there are multiple video cards in a hybrid configuration (usually intel+nvidia/amd).

If you try 0) Quit/disable, do you get the same result? If so, when you find the terminal interface in F1, can you log in as demo user (user:demo, password:demo), and run
    inxi -Gxxx
    Could you share a photo of this output? It would be best for us so we can understand what is going on, while we compare with the Manjaro output you shared previously.
    If we can figure this out, be it with xorg=nouveau boot parameter or some other way, we may be able to present better recommendations for systems similar to yours in the future.

DomariusDomarius

Thank you, for some reason that worked. Choosing 0 and pressed Enter, twice, got me to the live boot desktop.

Actually first time round it failed to install grub. But I re-installed again and it worked – truth be told, the USB stick connection is confirmed to be a bit flakey so second time around I took care not to touch it once it was connected and everything went fine. I’m now at the desktop, wireless connected and editing my character on DndBeyond.com. Thanks for your help!

Perhaps that monitor choice part of the install could be streamlined to be more user friendly? It seems strange that “doing the right thing” and choosing a device, takes you down a completely different path than the default install.

But, glad I’m using it, it’s really fast on this old laptop – and I love seeing the RAM usage at about 300mb of 2gig!

XecureXecure

Thanks for testing it out and finding a way too boot to antiX in your system.
    The boot scripts probably check if there are various video cards available, and launches this text selection. There was problems before with automatically selecting the proper video card, mainly in computers with hybrid graphics, so this script is aimed for these cases. I am not a dev here, so I don’t have a say and also don’t know or understand how a change would affect other systems. If this issue repeats itself we can either add a note in the wiki or explore a possible solution that doesn’t break card selection in other machines.

Thanks for returning and telling us about your experience. At least this way others who have the same troubles can follow your path of resolution.

DomariusDomarius

I’d say even just making something clearer on that screen with some text. Eg. big warning that choosing 0 will attempt to continue with the current “helpful install” process, and maybe move it to the top option, and call it “0 – Continue automatically” or something.

Choosing a graphics card will branch away into the command line installation… this is not expected!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.