[solved] Install trouble

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” [solved] Install trouble

• This topic has 48 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Jan 22-8:52 pm by roland.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    roland

Yes I did go right through to the end filling in passwords and auto-login switch, but really when it fails formatting /root it does so very soon, usually before I have got my fingers to the next button. When it hangs I have also gone to the last screen but it is still hanging with everything filled in. In any case it still has the /home partition to deal with after it finishes with /root, before (I guess ?) it begins to copy system files across.

I do appreciate your point and this afternoon will run through an install once again to check out what I have just said. Honestly I must have tried different approaches about 50 times but the result is always one of two, fails formatting /root, or hangs.

I am almost certainly mistaken but feel that formatting /root when it is unnecessary is not required, and the installer could have an option to Preserve /root besides any others.

Just as an aside I have a Toshiba laptop with a 3-core AMD, quite modern, and installed 17.4 on it in a trouble-free process about 2 years ago. Sadly I am not in UK at the present so cannot look at the partitions I created but they are likely to be just Swap Root and Home. I knew nothing about EFI bck then (and still don’t!).

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Dumb recommendation time.

Maybe try ext3 file system instead of ext 4 file system on that ssd. The fat32 efi partition looks OK to me.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

caprea

Did you update the installer on the live-systems before you performed the installation ?
          sudo apt update && sudo apt install antix-installer

Did you already try to boot into the modern kernel (5.10) on the live-system before installation ?

roland

I ran the installer update before another attempt, which then failed as before, formatting the root partition.

caprea

For completeness in troubleshooting, please fat32 filesystem as boot esp partition.

roland

I ran the kernel update to 5.10.27 which finished OK, ran the same install attempt which failed as before attempting to format the root partition.

I’m not sure what you are asking me to do Caprea with >-

For completeness in troubleshooting, please fat32 filesystem as boot esp partition.

ModdIt

Hi roland, please try and auto install for example mint, see if you still get same kind of error.
                  The device is fitted with a soldered in EMMC as a drive. Pretty notorious for being short lived
                  and not easy to diagnose due the way the controllers work.

If you can get a working installation the drive will be setup for you to reuse.

caprea

On your last screenshots the mmlcblkOp1-partition for installation of grub is filesystem vfat and not fat32.
                    fat32 is recommended.

I ran the kernel update to 5.10.27 which finished OK
                    Did you reboot and choose the new kernel during boot of the livestick?

It’s might a viable idea to follow Moddit’s advice to let another installation set up the drive.

roland

the EFI partition is converted to vfat by the antiX installer when run in default mode, if it starts out as fat32, it finishes as vfat. But one cannot format this partition as vfat with Gparted, it does not allow that, only allows fat16 and fat32. I inadvertently left it as vfat after a previous failed default install.

I will have a go with Mint as suggested by Moddit, look at the partitions created, then try another install.

I apologise for being a bit slow with responses, I have only limited internet time and it’s freezing cold where I have to work! I do appreciate all the thought and effort you contributors are putting in.

ModdIt

Strange things reported, I am booting from
                        sda1 dev/sda1 ext4 /boot boot 639 MiB
                        root is dev/sda2 ext4 / rootantiX21 24,90 GiB
                        home dev/sda3 ext4 /home homeantiX 61.06 GiB

Swap on extended /dev/sda5 linux swap swapantix 1017 MiB which is ridiculous but also have main swap on rotating disk.
                        Ans swappiness set to a minimum for SSD.

sdb has a fat32 187 Mib Partition marked boot and esp

grub is installed to sda MBR option so the efi part is likely unused. It is from an older installation of antix 19.

See what Mint does, hopefully the MMC is not dead, replacing is a job for a good shop unless you have a closely temperature controlled
                        hot air oven and experience. Shop repair is risky and overly expensive too with board replacement being main option offered.

Forum Admin
                        rokytnji

Yeah. I destroyed a hard drive connection on a touchscreen laptop my wife had. The hard drive was dying and I thought my solder skill set was good enough.

You have to run it off sd card or usb port now after I messed with it. It has a soldered in mmc drive.
                          Felt pretty foolish around the wife after that. Her job though supplies her with new gear.
                          So I was kinda semi-sheepish.

At least roland does not have one of the 32 bit bios netbooks on a 64 bit netbook < Just guessing> . It was done to keep people like us away.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

roland

The laptop belongs to my daughter so even opening it up is out! She left it for family use when she bought her latest HP laptop for work. I once tried to replace the caps on a dual slot 1 Supermicro mainboard, I shell not try any more mainboard soldering. I am not convinced the HD is faulty although it’s certainly pointing in that direction.

I still have to try the ext3 suggestion and the Mint install to set up workable partitions.

seaken64

I’m just guessing but my thought is that the emmc chips are not compatible with the formatting you are attempting. Maybe try FAT32? exFAT? just as an experiment. Maybe some hardware firmware is needed?

What was originally on the “drive”? Windows? Windows 7, or 8?

Seaken64

roland

The laptop had windows 10 installed when bought. When it was passed to me I installed antiX 17 without trouble after learning that Grub must be installed on the ESP partition. I cannot recall the version or 17 but it wasn’t 17.4, must have been an early one, sadly I no longer have the ISO usb.

All this trouble started when I decided it was time to upgrade to the latest antiX, and chose 21. Also 17 had several other shortcomings on this laptop which I wanted to move on from. I tried to go back to 17 after 21 and then 19 failed to install, but 17.4 refuses to install with similar fails to 19 and 21. So now I am reduced to running from a usb stick.

Formatting any Fat partition other than fat16 and fat32 is rejected by the install procedure. I also doubt it would accept a /root partition of Fat32 (?). Maybe it would accept a /home of Fat32?

I have downloaded a recent Linux Mint which failed to install. Their installer looks at the hardware before running and it did not like what it found. I did not take detailed notes but can do so if it’s thought of value. I thought maybe it would be of value to look for yet another release that I can use just to let it create the install environment for me, to see what partitions it does create, obviously must be a Debian release.

I’m coming to the conclusion that the HD may in fact be faulty, as has already been suggested. I realise they can be fragile, sadly this one is not easily changed.

The install procedure has been ever-changing since release 13 Luddite, and it is this fact that has led me to suspect the install procedure is faulty, but now I’m not so sure at all. However I would still like to see an option to get straight into copying the system across, and leaving the partition creation and preparation to the user.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by roland.
                                Forum Admin
                                anticapitalista

You could try the cli-installer

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.