Installation Antix on 2 Intel Atom devices

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Installation Antix on 2 Intel Atom devices

• This topic has 29 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Nov 23-5:17 am by fehlix.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

The first is a Acer R131T Laptop with Celeron N3050 CPU – the second a Lattepanda with Atom x5-Z8300, a bastard regarding Linux, but this comes later….

I am coming from SliTAz, because we have problems with new version. antiX is quite similar, but I miss one function. We can set the /home partition in bootparameters with home=/dev/sdb1 or home=UUID.
    Why I need this? The laptop has a internal 32GB emmc disk with Windows 10 – I need this for controlling lights in theater.
    I have a SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB USB-3.0 Stick, which I want to use as Persistent root
    My home-folder is about 80 GB, so I want to put this on a 128GB SD-CArd

First I tried persistence root and home, but this I can do only on one device – thers no possibilty to split it on two devices.

Then I tried only root persistence and edit the fstab to set the sd card as /home patition, which normally works in Linux without any problems, but this is all the time overwritten, with every new boot.

Ok I could do this with symlinks to persistant home , but even this is not possible, because also the SD-card disappear from the booted fstab.

Do you have any idea, how I can solve this

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by kultex. Reason: had to rename fstab
    Attachments:
    1. fstab.txt

I forgot to ad the fdisk.txt

Attachments:
    1. fdisk.txt

After thinking overnight about the problem that the fstab is overwritten at every boot, I find that this is completely at odds with root persistance. The fstab is one of the most important switches of linux.

It’s like deprivation of liberty. Can’t I turn it off somehow? somewhere?

fatmacfatmac

I think you just need to use the SD card UUID, but if that doesn’t work, you could maybe set a link in your /home folder to the card.

Persistence will load your saved data each time it starts up, but you have to create a persistent drive first.

(Others will confirm, I hope, as I don’t use persistence, personally.)

However, why not just install to your pendrive & point it to your SD card as /home(?).

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

I already have both – home and root persistance

But hwo can I set a link in my /home folder to the card, when the fstab is all the time overwritten and the new written fstab dont contain the SD-Card (see the attached files)

And why should I install to the stick, when persistant is your default usb boot-version.

I found something what could maybe help:

Note: If you have your persistence file(s) on a separate device to the one you boot from, you must specify your persistence device. You can use the following: * pdev=sda1 ie persist device * plab=antiX-Persist ie label of the device where persistence files are kept * puuid=xxxxxxx ie the uuid of the device.

yep this would work, but the SD-card is not seen during boot. Straight after boot blkid shows only the internal emmc – just with sudo blkid the SD-Card shows up – see attachment. I think, thats also the problem, that the created fstab dont have the SD-card.

I guess, that those processes are running with the built in kernel modules – those hwo are set as =m in the kernel.config are loaded later……

Attachments:
    1. blkid.txt

yes – the mmc1 is loaded much later – see attached dmesg.txt – the impotant lines are marked with ======================

those modules must be marked with “YES”

mmc_load=”YES”
    mmcsd_load=”YES”
    sdhci_load=”YES”

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man4/sdhci.4freebsd.html

do you think, its possible, that you do this with your next kernel update?

EDIT: renamed now to load.txt – and cut off a lot of lines – if it does not load, I give up

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by kultex. Reason: had to rename dmesg.txt to demesg.txt
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by kultex.

After thinking overnight about the problem that the fstab is overwritten at every boot, I find that this is completely at odds with root persistance. The fstab is one of the most important switches of linux.

It’s like deprivation of liberty. Can’t I turn it off somehow? somewhere?

During legacy BIOS boot, F1 Help is available from the boot menu.
    It explains several boot antiX-specific boot options (unknown on SliTaz systems and elsewhere).
    These boot options are also documented here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/boot-params.html
    (accessible via “FAQ” link in forum header, then scroll down to left side “Boot Paramerters” link in the FAQ webpage)

The “mounting” section of that FAQ page mentions automount=usb (or automount=all).
    Instead of “deprivation of liberty”, we’re given the liberty to choose the mounting behavior during antiX liveboot.
    Further, by specifying bootline cheatcodes, we are (or optionally can be) freed from the chore of hand-editing the fstab file.
    Is “automount=all” not the default, implicit, behavior? Offhand, I can’t recall, so I would try appending that to bootline.

We are free to choose, per each liveboot session, how various aspects of the antiX live system will operate during the current session. To make “sticky” the currently-set bootline parameters, we can append savestate or use F8 Save. (Later, to unstick the previously remembered set of boot parameters, we can append nosavestate.)

During livesession shudown, if “savestate” is enabled,
    (refer to the /antiX/state/ directory on the boot device)
    additional details about hot-pluggable devices is recorded//preserved for reuse during the next boot session.

The script that is used to rebuild /etc/fstab is: /sbin/make-fstab
    If you inspect the script, you can see where it considers the preserved details
    (parsed from current bootline params, and from /boot-dev/antiX/state/general-state-files and machine-state-files)

Hopefully your “not seen USB drive” problem will resolved by simply appending to bootline automount=all savestate

________

If you do hand-edit /etc/fstab during the session, and you bind mount /home so that it points to a location on an external device… does savestate preserve that detail? (Asking b/c I hope you will test and post back stating the result.)

skidoo thx for your help

The main problem is, that all the bootscripts dont see the SD-mmx card, because its loaded to late, because the sdhci driver is not built in the kernel – also the boot parameter load=sdhci does not help, because it is still loaded to late – I dont use upload now – hopefully it works with code – the beginning and end of dmesg I skipped

no not possible to post also a part of dmesg file – very strange – so I use SliTaz paste function (will expire in 1 month)

http://paste.slitaz.org/?492d7049f477e3e8#cB0sFdan3QW5pxUMuWtYXL2ana6l9yxi5SoNH4JbfMU=

so automount=all does not see the SD-Card

and savestate seems to to something, because now I have a fstab, which was created earlier and now I can do whatever I want – I get this old fstab

I did not save savestate, but it seems to persist – how can I remove it – otherwise I start with a new installed Stick

or better – where is that fstab saved file? Because when I can change this, I dont loose all my changes

ok explored it a little bit more, but this is an absolute miracle for me.

1) I change the fstab entry (I remove the internal harddisks, because I dont want to see them) – next boot a new fstab with new timestamp

2) I move make-fstab to /home/demo + delete fstab I get the old fstab with old timestamp in /etc + in /home/demo also a fstab + make-fstab.log but with all 6 hard drives

3) I delete make-fstab and delete fstab – next boot a new fstab with new timestamp – but in /sbin/ there is no make-fstab

I have absolutely no idea whats going on

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by kultex. Reason: really hard with attachemnts

ok found some make-fstab and deleted them

demo@antix1:~
    $ sudo find / -name “make-fstab”
    /etc/live/bin/make-fstab
    find: Dateisystemschleife erkannt; ‘/live/aufs’ ist ein Teil der gleichen Schleife wie ‘/’.
    /live/bin/make-fstab
    /live/linux/sbin/make-fstab
    /live/aufs-ram/upper/sbin/make-fstab

but /live/linux/sbin/make-fstab is unable to be deleted, because its read only – so this remains

/sbin/make-fstab
    find: Dateisystemschleife erkannt; ‘/live/aufs’ ist ein Teil der gleichen Schleife wie ‘/’.
    /live/linux/sbin/make-fstab

so all make-fstab are gone:

[sudo] Passwort für demo:
    $ date
    Di Nov 12 14:47:12 CET 2019

but still fstab with timestamp

Attachments:
    1. fstab-1.txt

The main problem is, that all the bootscripts dont see the SD-mmx card, because its loaded to late, because the sdhci driver is not built in the kernel
    Sorry, during earlier reading I overlooked this detail.

modinfo sdhci
    ^—v
    filename: /lib/modules/x.xx.x-antix.1-amd64-smp/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/sdhci.ko
    intree: Y

docs-antiX-19/FAQ/boot-params.html

Loading Modules

One of the primary tasks of the live-initrd is to mount the device that holds the linuxfs file which contains the final file system. Modules (also called drivers) sometimes need to be loaded to allow the kernel to talk to certain types of hardware. Most of the time this is taken care of automatically but if you have very old or unusual hardware, there might be a glitch.

load=<list> Load one or more specific modules, separated by commas. You need to know the name of the module or modules that you want loaded for this to be useful.

load=all Load all modules in the initrd. This is a shotgun approach just in case there is module that is available in the initrd that needs to be manually loaded for your system to boot that is not getting loaded automatically. In addition, extra debugging information is added to the initrd.log file.

“delete make-fstab”
    No, we should not do that. Pointless (if not otherwise problematic) because within the initrd, the initscripts utilize a bundled copy of make-fstab anyhow.

sorry – as I wrote before – those things must be set not only sdhci=yes

mmc_load=”YES”
    mmcsd_load=”YES”
    sdhci_load=”YES”

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man4/sdhci.4freebsd.html

sorry, I have at the moment no time to check more – I am on tour until sunday

just how dmesg should look like, i think, that SD-Card is seen – just after the usb disks – in antiX a lot of lines in between…

http://paste.slitaz.org/?34d3346c91adccf9#VQ62mZ0Kry76KqmKnWMdKzmE8F7dYLzR6SwgbMrPbSw=

thats the porteus kernel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.