Installation Antix on 2 Intel Atom devices

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Installation Antix on 2 Intel Atom devices

• This topic has 29 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Nov 23-5:17 am by fehlix.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

sorry – as I wrote before – those things must be set not only sdhci=yes

mmc_load=”YES”
    mmcsd_load=”YES”
    sdhci_load=”YES”

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man4/sdhci.4freebsd.html

sorry, I have at the moment no time to check more – I am on tour until sunday

just how dmesg should look like, i think, that SD-Card is seen – just after the usb disks – in antiX a lot of lines in between…

http://paste.slitaz.org/?34d3346c91adccf9#VQ62mZ0Kry76KqmKnWMdKzmE8F7dYLzR6SwgbMrPbSw=

thats the porteus kernel

Those commands are meaningless when building an antiX kernel.

If you know exactly which modules need to be compiled into the kernel, let me know and we can either incorporate it into the live initrd or the kernel.

The only one I found was sdhci.ko

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin

OK – I can’t test what you want since I don’t have the hardware, but I added sdhci.ko to our live init so it should be detected very early in the boot process.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Thx anticapitalista, I will test it, as soon as I have time, maybe not before Monday – where I can find it – is it already in the iso?

But just to repeat it – what I want is, that antix is not overwriteing my fstab.

I will test it also as soon as possible with tmpfs, because normally I put /tmp /va/log and /var/chach to ram

Forum Admin

Does this help? ie fstab=off option.

mounting

Re: sdhci.ko. Did you try load=all?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by anticapitalista.

yes – everything – and even much more, even delete and change make-fstab – no success

the only thing, that somehow works is puuid = , t least antix looks for the UUID, but it does not work, because the SD-mmc is seen to late, so I only can reboot

but maybe I should try again from a fresh boot fstab=off, because I tried this quite late, when I did already a lot of changes….

fstab=off does not do the job…..Kernel command line

I also changed all make-fstab to known, which one does the job – its the fstab in the initrd

and to verify, that I used fstab=off i attach the Xorg.0.log.txt – because in the fist lines it shows the used kernel command line

Attachments:
    1. Xorg.0.log_.txt

no does not do anything

and to verify, that I used fstab=off i attach the Xorg.0.log.txt – because in the fist lines it shows the used kernel command line

Attachments:
    1. Xorg.0.log_-1.txt

regarding mmc=y here is the kernel config as should be

#
    CONFIG_MMC=y
    # CONFIG_MMC_DEBUG is not set
    CONFIG_MMC_BLOCK=y
    CONFIG_MMC_BLOCK_MINORS=8
    CONFIG_SDIO_UART=m
    # CONFIG_MMC_TEST is not set

#
    # MMC/SD/SDIO Host Controller Drivers
    #
    CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI=y
    CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PCI=y
    CONFIG_MMC_RICOH_MMC=y
    CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_ACPI=y
    CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PLTFM=y
    CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_F_SDH30=m
    CONFIG_MMC_WBSD=y
    CONFIG_MMC_TIFM_SD=y
    CONFIG_MMC_SPI=m
    CONFIG_MMC_SDRICOH_CS=m
    CONFIG_MMC_CB710=y
    CONFIG_MMC_VIA_SDMMC=y
    CONFIG_MMC_VUB300=y
    CONFIG_MMC_USHC=m
    CONFIG_MMC_USDHI6ROL0=m
    CONFIG_MMC_REALTEK_PCI=m
    CONFIG_MMC_REALTEK_USB=m
    CONFIG_MMC_TOSHIBA_PCI=m
    CONFIG_MMC_MTK=m
    CONFIG_MEMSTICK=y
    # CONFIG_MEMSTICK_DEBUG is not set

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

Then I tried only root persistence and edit the fstab to set the sd card as /home patition, which normally works in Linux without any problems, but this is all the time overwritten, with every new boot.

That is not how it is designed to work. I just tested this here and it worked correctly. Manually created fstab entries are preserved across reboots (if the fstab file is preserved).

I set up a home partition, copied the existing /home/* to it. Added a file “home-partition” for easy verification. Then I added an fstab entry for it.

In this case, since this is obviously machine specific information, I edited the file /live/boot-dev/antiX/state/machine-state-files and added the line
    /etc/fstab
    When I shutdown, this file was saved. When I rebooted, the file was restored and it was not clobbered during the boot process, although the auto-created entries from the previous boot were removed and then recreated. My home partition was mounted at /home and all was well with the world.

I didn’t try it with root persistence but that has been working well for years just as I describe above and AFAIK, there have been no recent changes in the code.

Of course, using home persistence may conflict with having a separate /home partition.

If you only want root persistence to save this one file the I recommend editing the machine-state-files file as above. But either way (machine-state-files, or root persistence), boot without home persistence. Add an entry for your home partition based on the UUID in /etc/fstab. When you reboot, the home partition should be mounted. This has been working correctly for many years and I just double checked to make sure it’s still working.

Note: whether you use root persistence or not, unless you are absolutely certain this live-usb will always only be used on that one machine, then it is best to add /etc/fstab to the machine-state-files file because this will save a separate copy of fstab for each machine it is plugged into. So your home partition will only show up when the live-usb is plugged into your machine that has that home partition.

Perhaps you are running into some other problems but let’s see if the simple way works first.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Now that there is no answer for a few days, I wanted to ask if someone is already working on make-fstab or kernel or is willing to help me solve the problem? Why do I find this important?

There are countless tablets, laptops, TV-sticks and embedded devices with Intel Atom and win 8/10. Some of them have no USB and only 1 GB of Ram. With Windows updates they are nearly unusable.

eg.: https://www.amazon.de/TrekStor-SurfTab-wintron-Tablet-PC-Graphics/dp/B0160WVCBC, https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model-cpu/4a6e30e2, Rock Pi X, Lattepanda

most of them are able, to run linux, but still, its quite hard to boot and run them – like my lattepanda alpha with win10 from kickstarter is a real bitch running linux. I have tested a lot of Linux on the lattepanda and there is only antiX, that boots and runs well in Ram. Like even linuxium does not boot on it.

My interest is to make a iso, that is special for all of those devices. The kernel, I think, I will be able to do myself, but with make-fstab, I think, I need help.

So it would be nice to get an answer.

I have tested a lot of Linux on the lattepanda and there is only antiX, that boots and runs well in Ram.

Kultex:
    I have kind of overlooked this thread that after reading all deliberation seems an interesting opportunity for antiX to support such type of devices…
    So now when this thread attracted my attention:
    – My first question would be if you tried the suggestion from skidoo in preceding post. He confirmed that root persistence does preserve the state and fstab is not overritten. So is it possible that root persistence is specified but state is not explicitly (manually or automatically) saved when shutting down or rebooting.
    – My second question: Going back to your original objective described in the first post you need 80GB of data space, which you intended to keep in home and place it on SD card since the USB stick from which you boot is only 16GB. My thinking would be to assign a small /home on the USB stick and keep all the 80GB data you need in Live-USB-Storage space, which would be on the SD card as it is highly unlikely you would need all that 80GB data during boot process, when the SD card is not yet visible. This is similar configuration that I am using – keeping /home reasonably small and keeping most static data in Live-USB-Storage.
    Either way I am curious of solution you arrive to – see if what skidoo suggests works in your case or possibly the above.
    However the solution in this your specific case a broader question would be how to support such devices you listed in the preceding post when some do not have a bootable USB port… How would you boot antiX on them in the first place?

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

please note the sentence in BitJam’s replay about adding the /etc/fstab to the live system save-state system to ensure the right fstab is used. this is on a “per machine” basis, so you can still use the same live-usb on a system that doesn’t have the same hardware.

In this case, since this is obviously machine specific information, I edited the file /live/boot-dev/antiX/state/machine-state-files and added the line
    /etc/fstab
    When I shutdown, this file was saved. When I rebooted, the file was restored and it was not clobbered during the boot process, although the auto-created entries from the previous boot were removed and then recreated. My home partition was mounted at /home and all was well with the world.

– My first question would be if you tried the suggestion from skidoo in preceding post. He confirmed that root persistence does preserve the state and fstab is not overritten.

I apologize. I meant to reference BitJam rather than skidoo in the preceeding post. Typed too quickly and mixed up the two great antiX developers… Sorry for that faux pas…

yep this would work, but the SD-card is not seen during boot. Straight after boot blkid shows only the internal emmc – just with sudo blkid the SD-Card shows up – see attachment. I think, thats also the problem, that the created fstab dont have the SD-card.

Would you mind trying this kernel parameter:
    block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=2000
    which might help to have the SD-card showing up.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.