Installed GIMP 2.8.18 but cant read Help–> User Manual

Forum Forums General Software Installed GIMP 2.8.18 but cant read Help–> User Manual

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bill Aug 7-3:29 pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bill

GIMP Seems to work OK on another notebook with another distro so I’m posting here.

Antix 17.4.1 386 Full and via the Package Manager all the updates plus GIMP.

The program seems to work OK but when I select the User Manual I get a browser full of HTML – Hard to read.

christophe
    christophe

Bill,

I installed GIMP-full from the Package Installer. When trying to open help -> user manual -> (any selection), I got an error message:

Could not open ‘http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-help.xml’ for reading: Operation not supported

Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS?

So I copied & pasted the address into firefox. Then I got the html mess that you wrote of, and another error message at the top:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <gimp-help><help-item id=”gimp-main” ref=”index.html” title=”GNU Image Manipulation Program” parent=”” sort=”1″/><help-item id=”preface” ref=”preface.html” title=”Preface” parent=”gimp-main” sort=”1.0.3″/><help-item id=”gimp-team” ref=”preface.html#gimp-team” title=”1. GIMP User Manual Authors and Contributors” parent=”preface” sort=”1″/>

(And the file continues.)

I tried to install the gvfs package (& deps) but nothing changed.
    So perhaps someone who knows better than I do can advise?

I don’t know how to advise on this, except
    I did notice that “help” -> “GIMP online” -> “user manual website” does work, although I realize this isn’t as ideal as having it off-line.

skidoo

you can read online here: https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/

To install the docs (38Mb+) locally:
    sudo apt install gimp-help-en

The installation of gvfs-backends will additionally enable ability to jumpTo context-sensitive gimp help pages
    ref: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765891

Bill

I installed gvfs-backends but that didn’t change anything that I could tell.

APOLOGY:

I reviewed my original post and realized that I failed to fully describe “can’t read” I get the HTML in the browser as an editor but the browser isn’t interpeting the code into readable information.

So the restatement of my question would be something like: “… Help –> User Manual –> Basic Concepts get me to an editor of the appropriate HTML code.

Again aplologies for not being clear.

skidoo

here’s a workaround. To access the local helpdocs, paste the following URL into your browser addressbar:

file:///usr/share/doc/gimp-help-en/html/en/index.html

Bill

Thanks. I put the help browser in a second work space – like you said “a workaround”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.