installing antiX – bugs and questions

• This topic has 20 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Feb 5-2:19 am by Dave.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    uxerre

Trying to install antiX-19.2-runit_x64-full.iso

1. My initial intention was having separate

/tmp
    /var
    /var/log
    /usr

partitions but antiX Linux Installer will not allow for my wish.

I thought that the cli-installer might be flexible enough, but it says from the start:

This installer does NOT offer encryption

Is there a way to fulfill partition separation?

If I install antiX without additional partitions, and after installation manually edit /etc/fstab and put directories’ contents via tar(1) or cpio(1) to additional partitions, for example:

# (cd /var && tar cf - .) | (cd <future-var-temporary-mount> && tar xpf - ) \
    && rm -rf /var \
    && mkdir /var \
    && mount -a   # provided that /ets/fstab is prepared

will it work without breaking the system?
    Or am I advised to not tinker arbitrarily, accepting the default install layout?

2. antiX Linux Installer
    Custom install on existing partitions
    I chose boot location to sda1
    boot location to sda1
    then home location to sda10
    home location to sda10
    boot location dropped to root
    check drop-down list – sda1 is not displayed
    drop-down list - sda1 is not displayed
    change home location to sda9 – sda1 for boot location is available again
    change home location to sda9 - sda1 for boot location is available again
    try sda10 for home again – boot drops to root again
    try sda10 for home again - boot drops to root again

I have played with it and it seems that sda9 and below for home do not affect presence of sda1
    but sda10 and above for home hide sda1 from drop-down menu

3. bug? in antiXscreenshot:
    want to shoot a drop-down list,
    Region to capture – Window
    set Delay to e.g. 1 (or leave the default 5) counting that it will provide time for drop-down menu to be displayed
    press OK in antiXscreenshot
    press on drop-down list in the target window – screenshot is taken immediately regardless of delay and drop-down menu is not activated

4. antiX Linux Installer of antiX-19.2-runit_x64-full.iso says:

Installation requires about 3.5 GB of space. 5 GB or more is preferred.

But after auto-installation Gparted reported that 7+ GB are used on / partition.
    Send me a screenshot of 7+ GB successfully crammed into 3.5 GB 😉

5. antiX Linux Installer’s auto-install created a 2 GB swap partition whereas my laptop has 3 GB RAM (2 GB + 1 GB). I would expect swap to be 3+ in my case.

6. Samba option present in antiX Linux Installer is grey = unactivatable

• This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by uxerre.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by uxerre.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

1. No idea
    2. You could label your boot partition as boot. Maybe that helps.
    You could also update/upgrade your live system before installation (as there is a newer minstaller version available). test things first with the newest version (you should always do that first before reporting).
    3. antiX screenshot delay is only for fullscreen. Window screenshot is always for next window you click on.
    4. Not my experience. Maybe gparted reports more than what is real. Recent install of antiX 19.2 base: 2.68 GBs. I will later try installing antiX full and see how much it takes on my machine.
    5. If I want control of the swap size, I do a custom install and create the partitions I want.
    6. No idea.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Regarding partitions, if you create separate partitions and mount points you can do it.

Not 100% certain that there is a convenient time to do this but it may be possible to do it as the distribution partitions are selected.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

1. No idea.
    2. What if you choose the root partition first?
    3. See Xsecure’s answer
    4. We can fix that – no need for sarcasm. The figures 3.5GB and 5GB refer to base versions that also use the gui installer.
    5. You can actually change this before running the installer in /usr/share/gazelle-installer-data/installer.conf
    6. Samba is not installed.

Seems strange that you complain that the installer does not offer all the fine tuning re partitions, yet you chose auto-install, which is obviously not going to give you all what you want.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

uxerre
    Helpful
    Up

You could also update/upgrade your live system before installation (as there is a newer minstaller version available). test things first with the newest version (you should always do that first before reporting).

1. I tried installing additional software on live antiX-19.2_x64-full.iso (sysVinit, not runit) but nothing happened (except a glitch?), so I (mis)concluded that antiX live is a still/frozen image by default.
    2. I am unfortunate to have internet of worse-than-3G crawling pace, big downloads are an endeavour. I am lucky to have any internet, mind.
    3. My RAM is 3 GB, I boot ‘toram’ since there are limitations on keeping boot medium plugged in (-1 GB), so for big updates/upgrades I may run out of memory.
    4. I would gladly use piping hot install iso, but 5 months old 2020-03-27 is the most recent date for runit.
    Please excuse me my not being on the edge and susceptibility to wrong conclusions.

I have updated live antiX and upgraded antix-installer and cli-installer-antix – no better.

Regarding partitions, if you create separate partitions and mount points you can do it.
    Not 100% certain that there is a convenient time to do this but it may be possible to do it as the distribution partitions are selected.

What do you mean by ‘convenient time to do this’?

2. What if you choose the root partition first?

The same, as well as for swap: opting sda10/sda11/… for root/home/swap removes sda1 from the list for boot. sda9/sda8/… do not conflict with sda1

4. We can fix that – no need for sarcasm. The figures 3.5GB and 5GB refer to base versions that also use the gui installer.

I had no idea that I was being sarcastic. Probably, we interpret smiles differently. Maybe my soul was removed to make room for sarcasm.
    Please don’t get hurt.
    btw,

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Yet it remains the funniest!

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to be sarcastic.

Seems strange that you complain that the installer does not offer all the fine tuning re partitions, yet you chose auto-install, which is obviously not going to give you all what you want.

1. This is not a complaint. This is a ‘bugs and questions’ post.
    2. I made auto-install to see what it would yield. I have not kept that auto-install – that was a trial start, I am still on live antiX

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

Set all the partition options back to defaults. Then work your way down from the top.

As anticapitalista wrote, select the root partition first (sda1, for example).

Then everything will be visible.

Then for “boot” option, you leave “root” — assuming that’s what you want.

Also, editing fstab afterwards has always worked for me (editing as root from a live-media boot).

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by christophe.
    Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

There is alot in this topic.
    For installation on multiple partitions, as you notice it is not really supported in the installer. It is seen as something more advanced users would have interest in and therefor know how to do so outside of the installer.

I have always formatted my drive the way I like prior to install using either parted or gparted.
    Then boot into init level 3 by adding 3 boot kernel line in the boot loader.
    Run the cli installer and install everything to a single root partition (aside from swap)
    after cli installer finishes and before reboot make a temp mount directory (mkdir /mnt/temp)
    run blkid id and place the output in /etc/fstab (blkid >> /etc/fstab)
    edit the fstab file to make the proper mount specifications that I would like using the uuid’s that I sent to the file via blkid
    manually mount every partition that I wish to have separate from root one at a time (mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/temp)
    after mounting, run rsync with status=progress to make a mirrored copy of the directory in the / only install to the separated partition dedicated for that directory. (rsync /home/ /mnt/temp/ VARIOUS_RSYNC_OPTIONS_HERE)
    unmount that partition (umount /mnt/temp/)
    remove the files from the directory that I just copied to the dedicated partition. (rm /home/* -r)
    repeat the previous 4 items for the other directories/partitions.
    NOTE: if the boot partition is separated you would need to also install grub to the separated partition instead of the / partition.
    shutdown the system, remove the live media, and boot into the main system.

If anything does not work, fix with the live media. I am not certain on encryption at the moment, it has been a while since I have done an encrypted installation.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

uxerre
    Helpful
    Up

4. antiX Linux Installer of antiX-19.2-runit_x64-full.iso says:

Installation requires about 3.5 GB of space. 5 GB or more is preferred.

But after auto-installation Gparted reported that 7+ GB are used on / partition.

3.63 GiB on non-encrypted / of 20 GiB size
    7.37 GiB on encrypted / of 200 GiB size

Was I mislead by big partition size and something like reserved-blocks-percentage? What else may be in there?
    man 8 tune2fs
    -m reserved-blocks-percentage

uxerre
    Helpful
    Up

For installation on multiple partitions, as you notice it is not really supported in the installer. It is seen as something more advanced users would have interest in and therefor know how to do so outside of the installer.

If I need/want a step further/aside
    does not necessarily implies/means that I know/can_do all the necessarily technicalities,
    or even if I do know/can_do
    or at least can rtfm and learn
    does not necessarily implies/means I have e.g. time 😐

I have done the install in the way GUI installer allows for

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by uxerre.
    uxerre
    Helpful
    Up

Having installed,

1. no icon for killing Random Wallpaper Timed in the system tray as well as no tooltip
    2. ‘Running apt-get update…’ window from Package Installer often leaves black rectangle unmovable area on the screen, or it can take on another face

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Hey you got me thinking of this song …

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

uxer
    Helpful
    Up

You are a seer, anticapitalista

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

Is the wallpaper app missing the tray icon after an update? The latest version should not have a tray icon as it is always enabled till you change the selection (in the app or the config) to something other than random timed wallpaper.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I have worked with small drives many times before, and I’m not saying that divying up the drive into many pieces is wrong, but you realize it forces you to preallocate space, and in my case it ended up that I was wasting a lot of space in each of many volumes as a result, and as a result ran out of space, and had to redo it. I found the most efficient was to put it all into one volume, thus allowing me to use the free space as needed.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@BobC: +1

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.