Installing Zoom on AntiX

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Installing Zoom on AntiX

• This topic has 44 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated May 29-2:32 pm by Josu.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    andfree
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I purged and reinstalled it via terminal again. I opened it via terminal. Grey window and no terminal output again.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I don’t have a 32 bit system but I will try to see if on my laptop with nvidia graphics, with a live antiX 19.2.1 i386 base, I experience the same problems (to see if it is nouveau driver related). Give me some time and I will report back.

Of course my packages are updated.

Sorry for the negative assumptions. I was trying to rule out other possible reasons.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Sorry, andfree, but I cannot reproduce the error. I have a laptop with hybrid graphics and I forced nouveau and the nvidia card to launch zoom, and zoom worked propperly for me. It takes about 1 or 2 seconds, but the the window renders properly for me. I don’t have old enough hardware to try to figure out what the reason may be. If you haven’t already, try rebooting and launching zoom again. See if at the systray icon for zoom you can (right-click) select other options (Like “Join Meeting”) and see if those windows also have a rendering problem.

Hopefully someone else can propose a better solution.

iamercado
    Helpful
    Up

The “no entry for Zoom in menu” problem is because gdebi doesn’t auto-refresh the menu after the install. You can manually refresh the menu from the “Refresh Menu” menu option and the Zoom icon will show up in the “Applications -> Internet” menu group. I felt dumb and not so dumb when I finally noticed that 🙂

I doubt it is going to fix the grey box issue, though. Is there a way you can bypass your Nvidia graphics and temporarily hook into your integrated motherboard graphics to see if it might be graphics driver related?

andfree
    Helpful
    Up

Sorry for the negative assumptions. I was trying to rule out other possible reasons.

Don’t apologize, I wrote “of course” as an expression to emphasize my certainty that my packages were updated, not to imply any annoyance. I appreciate that you are trying to help me.

See if at the systray icon for zoom you can (right-click) select other options (Like “Join Meeting”) and see if those windows also have a rendering problem.

I selected the “Join Meeting” option and an absolutely white window opened.

By the way, I used Package Installer to install Zoom to the other laptop I use. Some issues with dependencies were fixed after:

sudo apt --fix-broken install

It seems to work fine.

System:   Host: presario Kernel: 4.4.221-antix.2-486-smp i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.8.3 
               Distro: antiX-19.2.1_386-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
    Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: Presario 2100 v: KE.M1.54 serial: <filter> 
               Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 002A v: NS570 Version PQ1A74 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: KE.M1.54 
               date: 12/17/20022 
    CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Mobile Intel Celeron bits: 32 type: MCP arch: Netburst Northwood rev: 7 
               L2 cache: 256 KiB 
               flags: pae sse sse2 bogomips: 3189 
               Speed: 1595 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 1595 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS200M [Radeon IGP 330M/340M/345M/350M] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
               driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 01:05.0 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x768~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: ULi M5451 PCI AC-Link Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_ali5451 v: kernel bus ID: 00:06.0 
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.4.221-antix.2-486-smp 
    Network:   Device-1: ULi M7101 Power Management [PMU] vendor: Hewlett-Packard type: network bridge driver: ali1535_smbus 
               v: N/A port: 2000 bus ID: 00:11.0 
               Device-2: National DP83815 Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: natsemi v: kernel port: 2400 bus ID: 00:12.0 
               IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 55.89 GiB used: 17.98 GiB (32.2%) 
               ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MK6025GAS size: 55.89 GiB 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 52.76 GiB used: 17.93 GiB (34.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
               ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 52.8 MiB (2.6%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0 C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 132 Uptime: 3h 53m Memory: 432.6 MiB used: 286.2 MiB (66.2%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
               gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.36
    andfree
    Helpful
    Up

Is there a way you can bypass your Nvidia graphics and temporarily hook into your integrated motherboard graphics to see if it might be graphics driver related?

iamercado, thanks for your help, too. Unfortunately, Nvidia graphics are the integrated motherboard graphics, so I suppose there’s not a way for me to bypass them.

andfree
    Helpful
    Up

@ mods: I think that not having the chance to edit our comments after just one day causes some problem. My #43220 post is just a repetition of the #43217 one, as a result of my efforts to edit it.

iamercado
    Helpful
    Up

What Nvidia chipset is on your MB? I pulled a mid-2000 era Athlon 64 X2 machine out of my “tech reject” pile (as my wife affectionately calls it), and was able to get Zoom up and running on the main page while booted from an antiX 19.3 32-bit live USB stick. Screenshot’s attached. I also am copying some of the CPU and Nvidia chip info for you to compare with what you have on your machine.

$ lspci | grep -i vga
    00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
    cpu family	: 15
    model		: 107
    model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

gdebi doesn’t auto-refresh the menu after the install

sudo touch /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/antixmenuhook
    ( the actual filename is immaterial; all files in this dir are sourced during each dpkg operation. )

then
    sudo {editor your choice} /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/antixmenuhook

paste the following content into the file and Save.
    (in case the forum mangles or wraps this, I’ll mention that it’s only 2 lines)

### freshen antixmenu when pkgs are installed//reinstalled//removed//purged via dpkg -i or via gdebi
    post-invoke=if { test "$DPKG_HOOK_ACTION" = install || test "$DPKG_HOOK_ACTION" = remove || test "$DPKG_HOOK_ACTION" = purge; }; then desktop-menu --write-out-global; fi

andfree
    Helpful
    Up
    $ lspci | grep -i vga
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV17M [GeForce4 420 Go] (rev a3)
    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
    cpu family	: 15
    model		: 2
    model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    iamercado
    Helpful
    Up

Well, you stumped me. The furthest back in time I could go in my laptop stash is an Intel Core Duo T2250. By then, Intel was already doing the onboard graphics and Zoom worked fine on that machine also. I didn’t expect the video performance to be all that great, but it seemed fine to display what it received from the other Zoom clients (I didn’t try sending video from that machine).

I also tried fiddling with boot options like “nomodeset” in an attempt to change or disable the standard VGA drivers. However, that just made antiX boot to a command prompt, and I didn’t have time to explore if there are other ways to get antiX to boot video to some sort of “safe mode”.

iamercado
    Helpful
    Up

Is there a way to boot antiX to some sort of video “safe mode”? I tried “nomodeset” in the boot options, but that just made antiX boot to a command prompt.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Is there a way

According to the FAQ, linked in the forum header
    https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/boot-params.html

You can add a parameter to the bootline:
    safe

If that doesn’t succeed, can add a parameter to the bootline:
    failsafe

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

I received a msg advising ” I get an error message when uninstalling a package after following your suggestion about gdebi and the refresh menu problem

so I’m posting to mention two related points:

1) the appearance of an errmsg “when uninstalling a package after following your suggestion” indicates that the apt hook is indeed being triggered, and

2) resolution of the error hinges on the “python n xdg” issue discussed here:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-19-2-testing-applications-from-the-desktop-menu-are-missing/

andfree
    Helpful
    Up

According to the FAQ, linked in the forum header
    https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/boot-params.html

You can add a parameter to the bootline:
    safe

How can I do it, please? According to the FAQ:

Use the F12 key in the bootloader to see what boot options are selected by your current menu choices.

But, using the F12 key in the GRUB does nothing for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.