Irbis NB105 – Realtek Wifi – No Device Data found

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco, Hannie Schaft, Manolis Glezos” Irbis NB105 – Realtek Wifi – No Device Data found

• This topic has 16 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Dec 28-3:29 pm by Windbrand.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hello.
    I been trying to install linux on my irbis nb105, it’s chinese netbook with intel atom(Cherry Trail) on board and x32 uefi.
    So first i install Debian 10, but cant manage to start GUI on it.
    I’v installed antix19, it works fine, but my realtek wifi card are not recognized, when i type inxi -N it says “Network: Message: No device Data found”.
    I’v got no internet on it at all, my smartphone are not turning on usb modem, wifi not recognized, no cable.
    The wifi was fine on Debian 10 and fedora 33, it’s rtl8723bs i think.

Here is inxi -Fxz in attachment, sorry for photo, but as i said, no internet at all.
    What can i do with this?
    Thanks.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Windbrand.
    skidooskidoo

found via forum search “rtl8723bs” :

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/backported-firmware-nonfree-from-debian-sid-testers-needed/

After many months, I finally got my bluetooth to work on my cheap chinese tablet. But the firmware I needed wasn’t included in the firmware-realtek package.
    Could you ask the MX team if they can include rtl8723bs_config-OBDA8723.bin and rtl8723bs_fw.bin in the next firmware-realtek package version? I just tested them and they work (finally I have bluetooth on my cherrytrail tablet!).

Thanks, but what should i do with it?
    I cannot connect to repo, cuz no internet.
    I downloaded this two files, then sh filename.bin in root terminal and it’s says – Syntax error: end of file unexpected(expecting”)”) for bs_fw, and Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string for bs_config.

XecureXecure

Download on a different computer:
    http://repo.antixlinux.com/buster/pool/main/l/linux-5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae/linux-image-5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae_5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae-1_i386.deb
    and
    http://repo.antixlinux.com/buster/pool/main/l/linux-5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae/linux-headers-5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae_5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae-1_i386.deb

Move both files to a USB device, connect the USB device to your Irbis NB105, copy the file to any folder (for example, your Downloads folder) inside your antiX computer. If possible, open a terminal inside that path and run in terminal:
    sudo apt install linux-image-5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae_5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae-1_i386.deb linux-headers-5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae_5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae-1_i386.deb
    If you cannot or don’t know how to open a terminal in that exact path, open a terminal and write (but don’t hit enter):
    sudo apt install
    and then drag and drop the .deb files (one after the other) to the terminal (it will automatically paste the path to the files). Then hit enter.

Let it install. After a successful installation, reboot. The wifi should work on your next reboot. If it doesn’t, let us know and we will try a different route.
    I was going to recommend using the 19.3 with 4.19 kernel version, but for some reason it doesn’t boot on my device, so it would probably yield the same result on your machine.

Thanks for helping!
    I did as you said.
    Now it’s not booting without “Nomodeset”, just frezee at fb0: switching to inteldrmfb from EFI VGA.
    The same problem was on Debian, and i didn’t find a solution for this.

Well if i boot with nomodeset, then xserver dont start.
    But in iwconfig there is a wlan0, and i can connect to internet with wpa_supplicant.

Well, GUI is not working, maybe you got some solution for this?

XecureXecure

I see you are a more advanced linux user than what I expected. Good.
    If possible, boot with nomodeset and login in the terminal session with no X. Use antix-wifi-switch to switch to ceni as default wifi manager (for now)
    antix-wifi-switch --cli ceni
    Even if you use wpa_supplicant, I believe you cannot connect to the internet if resolv.conf does not symlink to the correct file. The antix-wifi-switch script will fix everything for you, so you can use ceni or use wpa_cli directly to connect to the Wireless Access Point and get to the internet.

If everything works and you get connected, lets update the packagelist, upgrade the system and install some different kernel versions to see if we can get one that boots with your system.
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Then use cli-aptiX to install different kernel versions
    sudo cli-aptiX
    You need to > Search for antiX kernels, view the list of kernels, and try installing:

I selected these kernels because I know they worked on my Teclast Tablet, which has the same CPU (intel atom x5-Z8350) and wifi card (rtl8723BS). On my device, inxi -N still doesn’t recognize the device (nor lspci or lsusb), but it works on connman and ceni (dmesg shows it was correctly recognized after kernel 4.19).
    After installing each kernel (linux-image and linux-header will be installed for each one of them), reboot and try to boot into the system with each kernel until you find the one that boots into GUI.

Later, purge all kernels that didn’t work (for example, for the 5.8 kernel:
    sudo apt purge linux-image-5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae linux-headers-5.8.16-antix.1-686-smp-pae
    )

I asume you chose antiX 32 bits because the device has 2GBs of RAM. Mine had 4GBs of RAM, and antiX 19 x64 works very well on it. I can also see that your laptop has a 32 bit UEFI. Normally, 64bit linux ISOs don’t boot, but I believe that the antiX 54 bit ISO comes with both 32 and 64 bit EFI files, so they should be able to boot (if you ever need to upgrade to 64 bits in the future).

If you have the free time and a spare USB (once you have everything else solved), try booting with an antiX 19.3 x64 bit ISO with 4.19 kernel (https://mirrors.evowise.com/mxlinux-iso/ANTIX/Final/antiX-19/4.19_kernel/antiX-19.3_x64-full.iso), as I believe both 32 and 64 bits EFI options are included in the ISO. If it boots for you, you can see if the WIFI works out of the box with connman (and there you have another future possibility).

Thanks again, you are very helpful!
    I did as you said again and here what i got:
    5.6.10 – same is 5.8.16, doesent boot without nomodeset, with nomodeset xserver not starting.
    5.2.8 – doesent boot at all, without nomodeset freezing at fb0: switching to inteldrmfb from simple, with nomodeset – see attachment.
    4.19.73 – without nomodeset i was able to boot one time, see a login screen and GUI froze, i was able to switch to tty, so i reboot system and all other time its just black screen, i cant switch to tty, or do something else. With nomodeset xserver wont start.

I’m going to install antiX 19.3 x64 bit ISO with 4.19 kernel as you suggested, maybe this will help.
    Thanks.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=54415

might help.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

About installing antiX 19.3 x64 bit ISO with 4.19 kernel.
    After installation there is a black screen with and without nomodeset.

So no luck for me.

XecureXecure

After installation there is a black screen with and without nomodeset.

You mean that you were able to boot from the live USB? Did it boot to gui? did wifi work? This was the thing that would determine if it worked OK with your wifi chip.

One thing I know I will have to do (at some point in time) is to say goodbye to the eMMC drive on my Chinese tablet, as these devices don’t last and cannot be replaced. Could the eMMC drive on your laptop be defective? Can you install on a SD card? Are you willing to use antiX as a live system (using the USB device as your daily driver with the magnificent antiX live tools)?

On my laptop, that is the way I use antiX (live from USB with changes being saved on a rootfs persistence file).

Anyway, could you fill us out on how the live version with 4.19 worked like?

Yep, sorry, here what is going on with live x64 version with 4.19 kernel.
    0. Boot without any problem.
    1. Gui is working fine, no problem with it.
    2. Wifi is fine too.
    3. For some reason i cant watch youtube and listen online music(It’s just waiting for buffering), but my sound card dont recognized anyway.
    The problem with gui – starts when i install it on from livecd to another usb flash.

About emmc and sd – mine emmc are dead for a long time, it’s in readonly mode, this is a standart problem with emmc.
    I disable emmc from bios, cuz it interfering with gparted.
    I can install antix to SD card, but i cant boot from it there is no option in bios, i think this because an SD reader are enabling after system starts.

I want to install a antiX on other usb drive and use standart, not live version, but it seems that is no luck for me.
    Well it seems i will be using a live version cuz it’s working fine, except soundcard. The only live unix that worked just fine on my netbook is Fedora 33, no problem with gui, wifi works, sound works, but it’s very heavy even with lxde and lxqt(Or there is another problem, it’s works very slowly).
    I’m going to read some FAQ about persistence and try to set it up on my netbook.

Thank you for helping me!

P.S if you dont mind, i will send you PM with a couple questions about live version later.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Windbrand.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by Windbrand.

The forum saying that i already said that, but i cannot see my message, huh.

Yep, sorry, here what is going on with live x64 version with 4.19 kernel.
    0. Boot without any problem.
    1. Gui is working fine, no problem with it.
    2. Wifi is fine too.
    3. For some reason i cant watch youtube and listen online music(It’s just waiting for buffering), but my sound card dont recognized anyway.
    The problem with gui – starts when i install it on from livecd to another usb flash.

About emmc and sd – mine emmc are dead for a long time, it’s in readonly mode, this is a standart problem with emmc.
    I disable emmc from bios, cuz it interfering with gparted.
    I can install antix to SD card, but i cant boot from it there is no option in bios, i think this because an SD reader are enabling after system starts.

I want to install a antiX on other usb drive and use standart, not live version, but it seems that is no luck for me.
    Well it seems i will be using a live version cuz it’s working fine, except soundcard. The only live unix that worked just fine on my netbook is Fedora 33, no problem with gui, wifi works, sound works, but it’s very heavy even with lxde and lxqt(Or there is another problem, it’s works very slowly).
    I’m going to read some FAQ about persistence and try to set it up on my netbook.

Thank you for helping me!

P.S if you dont mind, i will send you PM with a couple questions about live version later.

Dead eMMC drive on my Chinese tablet, these devices don’t last and cannot be replaced.

Netbook MMC can often be replaced, in many cases upgraded. Depending on which country you are in
    repair can be from cheap to prohibitive. main cost is time to remove replace mainboard.
    This also is applicable to some tablets and phones but more difficult due mini components size
    and in many cases uneconomical.

XecureXecure

Replacing eMMC drives for most Chinese tablets/laptops is very difficult.
    See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAfjfQLcY6c

If those devices had an easy to replace method, like on pinebooks, there wouldn’t be a problem. The problem is that most don’t, and replacing can kill the motherboard if done incorrectly. Not worth it in my opinion. Most cases a SD card can be used, but as the OP mentioned, sometimes it is difficult/impossible to make it the default boot device.

No problem, but I warn you I am no expert. I simply booted antiX to RAM and used the Live USB maker to “burn” the live environment to a new USB. then, on next reboot, I added persist_root boot parameter (and my preferred keyboard layout too).
    See some of the Live Boot parameters for persistence here: https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters#Persistence_options

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Just wondering.
    If the windows wireless drivers can bypass this snafu for when you get a desktop with no freezes and no wlan0 recognition .
    That is my poke and hope suggestion. I am surprised you get freezes and no desktop with newer kernels using vesa driver with any iso Xll folder.

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8723bs-software

Might have to use xp, vista, or Windows 7 driver number .inf file to experiment personally. There is mentioning that ndiswrapper only works on windows xp .inf files.
    But I always like to check for myself first.

I got lucky on one install.

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=50525

Hmmmm, Wondering how flaky this is
    https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs
    Since archived as read only.

The net shows some fixes on tablets with this wifi chip using that github link that now seems abandoned.
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1183902#p1183902

Below is above my talent/skillset 🙁
    https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RTL8723BS.html

Tiny core Linux? Wow.
    http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,23214.0.html?PHPSESSID=509f15e7b7392939d085d5511d2f4458

Dmesg section in that thread might be helpful. Those tiny core uploads of kernels in that thread might be hopeful also.

My wireless N usb dish network antenna outside of my shop exposed to the weather in a waterproof setup is years old now. Seems your chip is only 18 months before it quits. That is also mentioned in the last post of that tiny core thread.

So. If me. I’d turn off that internal wireless/blutooth off in bios. Use a external usb wifi supported by the kernel presently. But , I have extra wireless g stuff.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-WiFi-Wireless-Adapter-Mini-Network-Dongle-150Mbps-802-11n-Linux-Windows-J1P1/174381267421?hash=item2899eef9dd:g:loYAAOSwQrNfKz8Q
    Ships worldwide and is cheapo. Less than a pack of cigarettes.

Or grab one from another source. Good Luck. I spend sometimes a week or 2 figuring stuff like this out for myself.
    My looking link

Plus I always check rfkill list and bios to make sure wireless card is turned on/enabled.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.