Is antiX going to get s6 init manager?

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Is antiX going to get s6 init manager?

• This topic has 291 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Feb 26-1:17 am by ProwlerGr.
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    eric
      sudo 66 tree init global
      sudo 66 tree start global

You can do 66 tree start global directly, not need to initiate it first. 66 tree init is mostly used at boot time to initiate earlier service like the tty12. 66 tree start will initiate enable services of the tree if it’s not already the case.

ProwlerGr

You can do 66 tree start global directly, not need to initiate it first. 66 tree init is mostly used at boot time to initiate earlier service like the tty12. 66 tree start will initiate enable services of the tree if it’s not already the case.

I understand this, this was the workaround I found to get 32 bit to boot after running the orignal script in #post-128510, as i386 wasn’t fully booting without it.

By the way: It is great to see this https://git.obarun.org/66-service/debian

I have found most of the service files under https://git.obarun.org/66-service/arch can be “transplanted” into Debian with just minor modifications 😉

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ProwlerGr.
        eric

@ProwlerGr
          you have a great source of examples at Void https://github.com/mobinmob/void-66-services

I understand this, this was the workaround I found to get 32 bit to boot after running the orignal script in #post-128510, as i386 wasn’t fully booting without it.

Huh!
          Not sure to understand here. You meant that after a first boot on fresh installation, the machine doesn’t boot properly, the runtime service aren’t running. You apply the “66 tree init/start global” command and the system become operational, then you reboot and apply again the same command to get the runtime services running, right? If yes, it’s sound like a disabled global tree or the services aren’t enabled.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by eric.
          ProwlerGr

Huh!
            Not sure to understand here. You meant that after a first boot on fresh installation,…

Exactly, I had to do Alt+Ctl+F12 to bring up the tree using those 2 commands.

I was using virtualbox, you can easily replicate the problem if you do the same using this working i386 s6-rc respin iso, and the adapted script on #post-128510.

Not critical now, but if you are able to replicate the same problem in a virtualbox you would be in the best position to understand what I was trying to resolve, and maybe reveal the bug that caused it. This could be either your 66 software – or – the script – or – some bug within the experimental image (affecting only i386) caused by me.

You got to remember you did a POC for antiX in 2019, and one of the reasons it never progressed much further (as I understood it at the time), was the lack of 32bit compatibility within Debian. I was really determined to get it working this time round, & (with your help)I believe we are there.

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

@ProwlerGr – very nicely done.

Just one thing (for now).
              When you change the hostname it must change in /etc/hosts as well as /etc/hostname

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ProwlerGr

Just one thing (for now).
                When you change the hostname it must change in /etc/hosts as well as /etc/hostname

The hostname change is handled by 66

sudo 66 configure -e nano boot@system
                sudo 66 reconfigure boot@system

(this modifies configuration file under /etc/66/conf/boot@system/version/boot@system)
                Obviously it seems to update the /etc/hostname file only.
                @eric you may need to have a look at why the /etc/hosts doesn’t get updated by 66 (or what we may be doing wrong).

eric

Huh!
                  Not sure to understand here. You meant that after a first boot on fresh installation,…

Exactly, I had to do Alt+Ctl+F12 to bring up the tree using those 2 commands.

I was using virtualbox, you can easily replicate the problem if you do the same using this working i386 s6-rc respin iso, and the adapted script on #post-128510.

Not critical now, but if you are able to replicate the same problem in a virtualbox you would be in the best position to understand what I was trying to resolve, and maybe reveal the bug that caused it. This could be either your 66 software – or – the script – or – some bug within the experimental image (affecting only i386) caused by me.

You got to remember you did a POC for antiX in 2019, and one of the reasons it never progressed much further (as I understood it at the time), was the lack of 32bit compatibility within Debian. I was really determined to get it working this time round, & (with your help)I believe we are there.

I would like to test but i can’t get it running correctly on qemu. After booting the ISO and clicking under the desktop installer icon, the installer enter in a loop process. Its terminate its execution at bootloader installation localization time. When i pick MBR, then the disk to use and finally its partition, the installer simply return to the terminal and ask me for the password. Entering the password relaunch the installer.

I use the following command to start the VM:

qemu-system-i386 -cdrom /path/to/antiX-23_i386_s6-init_20230105.iso -boot order=d -drive file=antix-i386,format=raw -m 4G -enable-kvm

I just spent two hours on it and i don’t get it. Perhaps someone has an idea to submit?

eric

@eric you may need to have a look at why the /etc/hosts doesn’t get updated by 66 (or what we may be doing wrong).

Nothing wrong from your side. The local-sethostname service only deal with the /etc/hostname file. Changing the /etc/hosts file can be a complex process but certainly possible. I opened to any suggestion about parsing the file and editing it properly. This can be done at configure script to avoid this complex tasks at boot time through a service.

ProwlerGr

I just spent two hours on it and i don’t get it. Perhaps someone has an idea to submit?

This was my bad (I had left the refracta shortcuts on the desktop), but I ended up using the antix snapshot tools to create.

Try installing using:
                      gexec su-to-root -X -c minstall

ProwlerGr

Just alerting everybody following this thread that an all-in-one (sysvinit/runit/s6-rc/s6-66) has been achieved & proudly released.

antix-23-1_init-diversity-edition-sysvinit-runit-s6-rc-s6-66

Brian Masinick

Just alerting everybody following this thread that an all-in-one (sysvinit/runit/s6-rc/s6-66) has been achieved & proudly released.

Thanks! I have already been using three versions of antiX – the existing antiX 23 runit, the two runit test versions of antiX 23.1 that have been produced so far, and at least two of the tests that you have so kindly put together for us, and now I have downloaded your latest diversity-edition; I think it’s a GREAT idea!

I hope to be running it shortly, and I appreciate this work; there is a VERY GOOD chance that we’ll have an official s6 alternative available by antiX 24, but with your kind contributions, it could be sooner, depending on your continued help and the availability of anticapitalista, Dave, bitjam, or whoever is participating in the current development; at the moment it looks like you have been a participant too, so this is terrific!

Whatever actually ends up happening, I appreciate this diversity-edition and look forward to giving it some attention, first in live mode, and later by replacing what I have now with this latest work. We have much to be thankful for in this community, and you have been a most welcome participant in our journey!

I thank you, @eric, and all those who have been a part of this work!

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Thanks! I have already been using three versions of antiX – the existing antiX 23 runit, the two runit test versions of antiX 23.1 that have been produced so far, and at least two of the tests that you have so kindly put together for us, and now I have downloaded your latest diversity-edition; I think it’s a GREAT idea!

I hope to be running it shortly, and I appreciate this work; there is a VERY GOOD chance that we’ll have an official s6 alternative available by antiX 24, but with your kind contributions, it could be sooner, depending on your continued help and the availability of anticapitalista, Dave, bitjam, or whoever is participating in the current development; at the moment it looks like you have been a participant too, so this is terrific!

Whatever actually ends up happening, I appreciate this diversity-edition and look forward to giving it some attention, first in live mode, and later by replacing what I have now with this latest work. We have much to be thankful for in this community, and you have been a most welcome participant in our journey!

I thank you, @eric, and all those who have been a part of this work!

Ran it live; have it installed now. Looking good! If I see anything worthy of note, I’ll mention it; otherwise consider it good and ready to use; with both live run and installed run, certainly the basics are working and I’ve tested a few of my usual things that I add; so far everything I have tried has worked.

--
                            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Tiny detail to fix.

Our antiX is based on Debian Bookworm but the specific OS should read as antiX or antiX diversity rather than Debian Bookworm.

I know that @anticapitalista knows how to set the strings up correctly and I used to remember too but I am away from my desk so I can’t compare the values from my various systems to jog my memory.

Other than that little nit everything else is great 👍

--
                              Brian Masinick

entropyagent

I understand this might not be on anyone else’s wishlist, but: Will s6 have an equivalent to sysvinit’s shutdown “shutdown -Ph 23:56” (in this case, to shutdown shortly before midnight). In my situation, I find it extremely useful to have a simple, reliable time-based shutdown. It seems runit does not have this?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by entropyagent.
                                Brian Masinick

I understand this might not be on anyone else’s wishlist, but: Will s6 have an equivalent to sysvinit’s shutdown “shutdown -Ph 23:56” (in this case, to shutdown shortly before midnight). In my situation, I find it extremely useful to have a simple, reliable time-based shutdown. It seems runit does not have this?

That is a good suggestion. I think you are right; the exact shutdown mechanisms definitely vary, depending on the init services used and therefore in order to provide these capabilities the corresponding function or service has to provide the capability, which may or may not be the case in every current init configuration. Adding this in may be desirable; chances are, it is a non-trivial change, but it’s at least worth considering; thanks for mentioning it!

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 292 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.