Is consolekit still necessary or useful, if so, how?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Is consolekit still necessary or useful, if so, how?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by anticapitalista Jan 1-5:05 am.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wildstar84
    wildstar84

I have consolekit installed on my Antix rolling “testing” release (which has been rolling along nicely w/updates for years) and, after reading a comment by #skidoo in response to a user asking a/b policykit/Polkit:

“Historically, “consolekit” was the widely-used analagous auth mechansim. Because consolekit has languished, unmaintained, for several years (it’s a mature project, idunno that any grave outstanding bugs exist) and because policykit is the newer cool kid on the block…”

I was wondering if this is still needed by Antix, or any other software or if it’d be safe for me to uninstall it and if I’d lose any functionality or benefit by doing so? Nothing seems to depend on the package at this point.

Thanks!

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Hi wildstar84,

I know that elogind replaces and succeeds consolekit, but you’ll have to read the other threads on this
    and see if you have to keep policy/polkit because slim login did require it. Maybe admin will chime in and
    let you know if it can be removed or have to be kept as far as funciontality goes.

Linux = Many kinds, shapes, and sizes of computers to come
    together to create the ultimate cure for curiosity, boredom,
    creativity, and asylum. 🙂
    Whether new, used, young, or ancient.

skidoo

SLiM login manager depends on conky consolekit. (Mabye you’ve stripped SLiM from your “rolling testing” system?)
    FWIW, the files installed by consolekit package occupy less than 500kb.

If you decide to apt-get remove consolekit (I’m suggesting remove, vs purge) and later regret that decision, you can easily revert by reinstalling its package.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by skidoo.
    wildstar84
    wildstar84

I use Slim to start X, but it does NOT require Conky as I removed that long ago. I was/am afraid to remove consolekit for fear of not being able to log into my system?! I have no plans to remove policykit as there is stuff dependent on that. I wasn’t concerned about filesize, but reducing running daemons/services to only what’s actually needed.

skidoo

Oops, it was a typo.
    SLiM depends on consolekit.
    Check it: contrary to the statement in your OP “Nothing seems to depend on the package at this point” ~~ apt-get or synaptic should advise you that removal of consolekit will also cause SLiM be removed.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Agree with skidoo – the version of slim we use requires consolekit. If you remove it (even if it does not remove slim as well), you’ll find that yu cannot boot into the desktop.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.