Is it dangerous to touch NTFS using general Linux distros?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Is it dangerous to touch NTFS using general Linux distros?

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jan 3-2:10 pm by jdmeaux1952.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bajingan

I read on somewhere on Reddit that it is “dangerous” to touch (even to read) NTFS using general Linux distros?

Do you believe in that statement or it is just a FUD?

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Not specific to NTFS, as a security regimen I avoid needlessly mounting internal drives.
    Specific to NTFS, when I mount with read+write permission, I do so without reservation — without fear of “linux corrupting the data”.
    I’ll stop short of branding the redditor as spreading FUD; when dealing with certain (new, or casual) users, sometimes a “l’il white lie” serves as a beneficial coaching tool.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    Helpful
    Up

the only time I’m run into problems with ntfs is when I’ve booted into windows, and windows does a update on shutdown or whatever. Windows locks the ntfs partitions somehow during updates and “hybird shutdowns”, and I’ve found it possible with a linux root file manager session to cause data loss.

The solution of course is to make sure windows leaves the ntfs partition in a neutral state. I do this by ensuring that updates are complete, including restarts, before switching back to a linux session.

You can also do this without the updates ind windows by holding down the shift key when restarting. This will skip the update process and a restart will release the ntfs partition safely for other installs to use.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

the only time

For me, “the only time” was back around 2006.
    I fell into a miserable, freakish, edge-case, whereby booting a liveCD
    (provided by Canonical, gratis, must take 5+ and promise to pass along to friends)
    fouled the (winXP, intel software raid driver) RAID array on one of my machines.

To this day, whenever distrohopping, I hold a habit of uncabling internal drives prior to livebooting.

jdmeaux1952
    Helpful
    Up

Dolphin_oracle does as I do since I too must use windoze. Make sure it finished all updates before going to Linux.

The Kernel has my back covered.
    AMD desktop FX-8320 ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 nVidia GeForce 730 GT 8 Gb memory
    MSI laptop S6000 i5-460M 4 Gb ram

A great mind is something to get terribly wasted.
    LRU# 563815

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.