Is it possible to show the background decoration "splash=v" on installed AntiX?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Is it possible to show the background decoration "splash=v" on installed AntiX?

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jan 1-10:21 am by Anonymous.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bajingan

Is it possible to show the background decoration “splash=v” on installed AntiX from HDD?

It is pretty cool, indeed.

Anonymous
        Forum Admin
        Dave

I think the information might be out of date.
          Bitjam has put in quite a bit of work, taking over the fbcondecor project IIRC, to make fbsplash work in antix.
          http://mxlinux.org/fbcondecor
          I am not certain how to enable it a boot though… you can test it as root under console (Control + Alt + f#) by running splash-select (Control + Alt + f7 to return). Now that I am looking for it, it is kind of a surprise not to find splash-select in the antiX-cli-cc. IIUC the boot cheat is supposed enable a service that runs at startup and shutdown run levels but I cannot find a service to do that.

It seems antiX has a package called fbsplash-antix installed. However there is not run level script as with the fbsplash github.
          http://github.com/alanhaggai/fbsplash

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Bajingan

BTW, I don’t find menu.1st on /boot/grub/.

Need I to create it first?

Forum Admin
            Dave

There is no menu.lst.
              That is from grub one, now using grub 2. The files to edit are in /etc/grub and /etc/default/grub. Editing those files and running update-grub will make the new grub.cfg

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Bajingan

BTW, what does “v” mean in “splash=v” parameter?

Anonymous

ok (Thanks for jogging my memory, Dave) fbcondecor drives the default “bordered console wallpaper, with antiX world log displayed at bottom right”

various interchangeable “themes” for use with fbcondecor are pre-installed in antiX, residing in subdirectories under /etc/splash/
                  Within a theme file, e.g. http://github.com/antiX-Linux/Xlated-initrd/blob/master/etc/splash/antiX-purple-red/1024×768.cfg
                  you can specify (customize) various details: text size / offset, border details (or none), background image (or none, or solid bgcolor).
                  Each of the pre-installed themes uses a shared set of background imagefiles ( see: /etc/splash/images/antiX/ ).

/etc/splash/images/antiX/ 
                  verbose-800x600.png
                  verbose-1024x600.png
                  verbose-1024x768.png
                  verbose-1280x1024.png
                  verbose-1366x768.png
                  verbose-1440x900.png
                  verbose-1600x1200.png
                  verbose-1600x900.png
                  verbose-1920x1080.png

Although I rescaled, and passed back to BitJam, several of those pre-installed imagefiles, I don’t recall what “specs” (16bit color?) fbcondecor expects/requires.
                  If creating a custom theme imageset, you can just work from these existing imagefiles ~~ load/edit/SaveAs
                  Note: although the existing themes employ a different sized image for various (common) W x H sizes, this isn’t a requirement.
                  (The textual lower-left “antiX” displayed in the pre-installed imageset appeared blurred if one-size-fits-all was stretched to fit.)

what does “v” mean in “splash=v” parameter?

howabout “heuristically speaking, v means verbose
                  (the v, by itself, “means” nothing. The optional bootline parameter “splash=v” (noquotes) is parsed by init and triggers a conditional operation, if present.)

edited to add additional details gleaned from the oldforums archive:

when bootline arg splash=v is present:
                  the default theme is used, unless the arg theme=mycustomthemename is also present in the boot line

sudo splash-select
                  ^— (at least when using antiX17 live), this utility enables you to change themes and (a recently added feature) to edit the current theme.
                  After launching the splash-select utility, press the ‘e’ key to edit the current theme.

(I read, but have not tested the following)
                  The tx=and tw= values, as found within theme files ( /etc/splash/antiX-purple-red/1024×768.cfg )
                  Apparently you can dynamically override those values, via optional bootline parameters.
                  The tx= parameter changes the left margin of the text and the tw= parameter changes with width of the text area.

Anonymous

note: I have never cared to create/test a “no scrolling boot text, just an oh-so-pretty boot wallpaper” scenario.
                    (hmmmm, is splash=silent a recognized bootline parameter?)

Q. For bootsplash, can I just use “plymouth”?
                    A. The debian-packaged plymouth depends on systemd, so that’s a no-go. You would need to find another source (or debian oldstable repo?) and, YMMV…

Q. Howabout “usplash” or “fbsplash”? Would either of those work?
                    A. Long ago, failures were reported in oldforums posts. FWIW, I’ve found no reports of success (neither old nor recent)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.