Is it safe to install the Budgie desktop from the repos?

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Is it safe to install the Budgie desktop from the repos?

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Dec 22-3:21 pm by skidoo.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I found a distro called Solus seems to get good reviews, and it has a Budgie desktop which had a nice interface and also a feature I liked (autostart apps), and so I thought I’d see how that works and if it happens to be included in the repo version of Budgie.

I created a test partition and installed a fresh antiX 17.2 full x64. I went to try loading the Budgie Desktop, but when I went to install it I saw it was going to install libsystemd0 on the list of packages to be installed, which didn’t sound good, so I stopped there.

Exactly. Budgie is a Gnome3 reworked.

It used to be nice in the past. It really looked different once before, when it was still in Beta, in a distro still called “Evolve“.
    Later they renamed it in Solus again. It looked less and less original with every day, until the day when you could say — why bother.
    You could simply install Zorin. There you get almost same looks minus Solus problems and you get apt instead of pisi.

Or … you just install Gnome3 and a couple of extensions. 😉

I won’t try installing the Budgie desktop on antiX.

I did download Solus and run it though, and looked at the code that runs it. Its written in Vala, not something I’m familiar with.

I do like both the concept of a program/screen to maintain “Autostart Apps and Commands” in general, but the implementation in Solus wasn’t as good as I would have hoped for. Specifically, I would have liked to be able to select an app or command and start it with options and parameters. For example to start different terminal session windows in a particular workspace, or a browser on a web page, or start a spacefm root window, or start wpa_gui, or antiX control centre, etc.

The real thing they did there was to enable a non-technical user to start the apps they want open all the time without writing code, by selecting from a listbox.

That is a desirable feature, IMO, to make it easy for normal folks to set things up more to their liking.

Vala is what Elementary “OS” uses and ‘pisi’ comes from Pardus, as much as I know.
    Elementary and Solus fit anyway good together — both can’t be used. 😉

I have many more issues with other distros and that’s why I run antiX day to day and use it to compare against the others I try. I believe in using older systems that are low on resources and slow to test with because they are like an acid test, and if things run reasonably on the clunkers they streak at the speed of light on my faster machines.

Anyway, my thought is this:

If there was a good/easy way to select and edit desktop files. Like the Startup folder in the Windoze world, there could be an Autostart or Startup folder, and an app that would could select desktop files from anywhere to copy in, as well as create/maintain/delete desktop files, and then a way to run them.

I wonder if they would need to be different depending on which antiX window manager was running? It would be best if they could work with any.

It’s more a feature that less technical people would want I suppose, but I definitely do find myself running the same programs after a reboot most times. I bet a way to do that (but not fancy with graphical stuff) already exists…

like the Startup folder in the Windoze world

BobC, the capability is there but is essentially ignored by antiX the desktop-session mechanism. Thankfully so, IMO ~~ too often, individual programs silently install “all sorts of crap” to the system-wide dir. Begs ongoing maintenance b/c after deleting the items you don’t want… checks performed each time an installed package is upgraded are prone to REinject its autostart entry(ies).

/etc/xdg/autostart/
    ~/.config/autostart/
    https://specifications.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/0.5/ar01s02.html
    IIRC, contents of the per-user directory SUPPLEMENT (they do not OVERRIDE) the system-wide entries

see also:
    https://wiki.debian.org/Xinitrc
    https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession

good/easy way to select and edit desktop files

Which is easier:
    mess with creating/editing/placing myriad .desktop files into /etc/xdg/autostart/ and ~/.config/autostart/ (and babysit those dirs)
    or
    edit launchstring lines within the antiX -provided centralized “startup” file?

if they would need to be different depending on which window manager

In antiX, it’s your choice. If you WANT a given item to autostart only upon launching fluxbox, you can do so.
    (within the general “startup” file, wrap an item’s launch command within a conditional statement, or edit the fluxbox-specific configfile)

… a good/easy way … Like the Startup folder in the Windoze world …

I suppose you refer only to two Autostart folders (one in system and another in user path) when you talk about easy ways.
    Windows auto start is other ways a pretty complicated matter.

It is easy to add auto start application by copy & paste a shortcut into the folder but, disabling something from auto start is another side of the coin and there you see the Windows complexity.

You can manage auto start over the task manager, over the control center, task scheduler …

… and sometimes, as is the case with Windows own auto starting applications or malware, auto start will be dig deep inside the registry (web browser Edge is always auto started and you can’t disable it without registry as one example) or it will be run as a service.

In the registry, you’ll have many different paths where it could be … user or system path … in each of those, run, run once, run services, run at log on, run at boot …

Manage the Programs Run at Windows Startup

As always, it all comes to what exactly you’re trying to auto start (or prevent from).

Thanks for the details… I didn’t know it was controllable at multiple levels to be honest, and am surprised it would work, actually.

Yes, things CAN get complex, but I have no interest in trying to do really tricky things. I am a computer person, not to you people’s level, but not intimidated by them. For example I have added

gksu spacefm

to my IceWM startup file, and yes it works.

But I wasn’t really thinking about it for techie people like me or you, I was thinking about my Wife or Daughter, who know they want to run this program or that, and could select it from a list, but probably wouldn’t edit a startup file manually.

I’m just saying that Budgie has a real nice feature for normal people to easily be able to tell it start a program or two when the system comes up…

User friendly… It was just a thought.

Budgie has a real nice feature

yes, as seen here:
    h t t p s : // w w w. youtube.com/watch?time_continue=109&v=NekyekbVg2k

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.