[SOLVED] Is my old laptop not compatible with Windows 10?

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio [SOLVED] Is my old laptop not compatible with Windows 10?

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Mar 25-1:49 pm by PDP-8.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Friends!

I rarely use Windows but I always make my laptop a dual boot system. It seems that no matter what I do I can’t install windows 10.

I’ve tried different flash drives to install. Different iso’s. I tried MBR installation when the hdd was still of the MBR partition style. Then I formatted the entire

hdd and converted it from MBR to GPT, and tried GPT installation as well. No success.

It would always be stuck on the windows 10 logo.

Upgrade from a previous windows version is out of the question. Don’t ask why.

My machine, if it matters:

Machine:
    Type: Laptop
    System: SAMSUNG
    product: R439/R478
    v: N/A
    Mobo: SAMSUNG
    model: R439/R478
    BIOS: Phoenix
    v: 00UN.M001.20100814.LEO
    date: 08/14/2010

Is it possible that the motherboard and/or BIOS/UEFI just isn’t compatible with Windows 10?

The BIOS is old style, like navigating and selecting and choosing are done with keyboard only. You can’t use a mouse.

Thank you for your time!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by kaye.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by kaye.
    fatmacfatmac

Maybe this website may be of interest.

https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/samsung/laptops-desktops/r478-r439/50721

(I gave up on MS many years ago, so don’t have any recent experience, & the computer I got pre used, that came with W10, was converted to Linux within 20 minutes of receiving it.) 😉

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

capreacaprea

It might be helpful to check out youtube, like here
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=samsung+r439%2Fr478+windows+10

But also here no windows experience has been valid for years.

From what I’ve read, the R series have this problem due to the wifi card. The solution for many seemed to require opening the laptop, and physically removing the broadcom wifi card before installing. Just disabling it in bios does not work.

After install, don’t reinstall the wifi card, otherwise you’ll be back at the logo screen, so wifi (unless you replace it with a different card) will limit you to using ethernet, or perhaps just use a usb wifi dongle instead.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.