Is the Core version different in v19 versus v17?

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco” Is the Core version different in v19 versus v17?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Nov 13-10:41 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    seaken64

On my main laptop I have antiX-19 installed in two versions in Virtualbox. I installed the “Base” version and the “Core” version. On one of my older Pentium-III computers I have a frugal install of antiX-17.4 Core. I noticed today that the menus are different on the antiX Command-Line Control Centre.

On the new v19 Core the opening menu is wider and has two columns. On the v17 Core the opening menu is a single column. The Audio/Visual Commands menu in v19 is missing several programs that are on the v17 audio/visual menu. Namely, mocp, mocp –exit, fbi, and fbgs.

Is this intentional? Maybe Buster does not support these programs anymore? I’m not very good yet at understanding why some programs don’t work on another version of Debian. Will we get mocp back in v19?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by seaken64.
    seaken64

Okay, I think I have a bad download on the Virtualbox install. I will redo it. On my new frugal install of antiX-19 the antiX-cli-cc menu looks fine.

Maybe it’s the “Core” version that is different? Maybe this menu has more stuff on it when it is the “full” version?

Sorry for the false alarm. I’ll do more experimenting.

Seaken64

skidoo

antiX-cli-cc is provided by package “console-grid-gui”.
    The same (identical) antiX-cli-cc script is pre-installed on core//base//full editions ~~ i did not check whether it is present in the “net” edition but, IIRC, it is.

/usr/lib/shell/lib-grid.sh
    ^—- dynamically adjusts the layout (one column vs 2 column) based on the runtime display resolution and console fontsize.

/usr/lib/shell/lib-menu.sh (sourced by /usr/local/bin/antiX-cli-cc)
    ^—- at runtime, dynamically removes any would-be menu items if their associated underlying command is absent.
    Between 17||19 versions and across base||core editions, I can’t recall any changes other than (?) ceni vs connmann.

antiX-19_x64-core-package-list
    antiX-19_386-core-package-list

seaken64

Okay, I guess the answer is “yes”, antiX-19-core is different. MOC is not installed by default. Unless I am mistaken it was installed in v17. It is installed in v19 Base but not in Core.

I installed it and now when I run antiX-cli-cc it shows up on the audio/visual menu.

At first I tried installing mocp. But that came up empty. It is found when searching for “moc”.

Thanks skidoo for the info. That helped me sort out why there was a difference in the cli menus. I will keep experimenting. There is still some stuff on the v17 menu that I don’t see on the v19 menu.

Seaken64

seaken64

I tried to find out why “fbi” (an image viewer) wasn’t showing up on v19 Core cli-menu. I guess it has to do with VirtualBox. I take it VirtualBox does not have a Frame Buffer? I’m an idiot in such things. Why does my desktop P-III have the Frame Buffer but VB does not? Is that a driver issue? Or is it a physical limitation? A Frame Buffer only exist on a hardware video adapter?

To clarify – I have v17 Core on my old Pentium-III physical box. I have v19 Core on a VB virtual machine. I like what I see on the v17 cli menu but am missing some of this stuff on the v19 cli menu. Maybe it’s because it’s Virtual Machine?

Seaken64

skidoo

why “fbi” (an image viewer) wasn’t showing up on v19 Core cli-menu.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Hmmm, the status quo “is a feature, not a bug” ?

The following change will (i tested) allow fbi to show up in the menu:

edit /usr/local/bin/antiX-cli-cc
    scroll to the section make_av_menu()
    and remove the statement
    && [ ${#wallpaper} -gt 0 ]

the edited line will now read as
    in_vt && add_cmd fbi $”Image Viewer”

Save the edited file and relaunch antiX-cli-cc, then visit the “Audio/Visual menu” to confirm that (if fbi is currently installed) an fbi menu entry is displayed.

skidoo

missing some of this stuff on the v19 cli menu

cp antiX-cli-cc mymenu (or whatever custom name) and you can easily add custom entries into the menus.
    The pattern is
    in_vt && add_cmd commandname $”descriptive menu text

(The “in_vt &&” conditional is optional ~~ to hide certain items when the runtime context is Xsession terminal emulator.)

seaken64

Thanks again skidoo. I missed some of what you said, due to my lack of understanding the terms. But I did edit the file as you suggested and now the fbi image viewer does show on the Audio Visual menu.

I take it the removed text was to display the images that are assigned as wallpapers? Do I need to assign a default folder to “view”? When I start it from the menu I get a scroll of help text but then it goes back to menu.

Maybe because core does not have X there is no wallpapers folder?

Seaken64

seaken64

I tried to find out why “fbi” (an image viewer) wasn’t showing up on v19 Core cli-menu. I guess it has to do with VirtualBox. I take it VirtualBox does not have a Frame Buffer? I’m an idiot in such things. Why does my desktop P-III have the Frame Buffer but VB does not? Is that a driver issue? Or is it a physical limitation? A Frame Buffer only exist on a hardware video adapter?

To clarify – I have v17 Core on my old Pentium-III physical box. I have v19 Core on a VB virtual machine. I like what I see on the v17 cli menu but am missing some of this stuff on the v19 cli menu. Maybe it’s because it’s Virtual Machine?

Seaken64

I did some reading on the frame buffer and I think VB does have a frame buffer, so that was not the problem. The problem seems to be in the config files. Skidoo has given me some clues. I’m just putting this here for anyone else who is learning about text-based antiX. It’s clear that I don’t know what I am talking about! Ha ha! Listen to skidoo and anti, they know what they are doing.

Seaken64

christophe
    christophe

I’m just putting this here for anyone else who is learning about text-based antiX.

Also, I noticed the recommended software listings has been upgraded in cli-aptiX recently. Very nice! Very useful for building up piecemeal from core, with the ability to select parts wanted that are already included by default in base/full versions. And, of course, it also recommends many non-default gui packages, as before.

seaken64

Yes, christophe, good points. Core will be useful for many who want to build up a gui from scratch. But my goal with the Core version has always been to run in a text-only environment, similar to my CP/M and DOS days.

cli-aptiX also has nice list of console only programs. I’m exploring dvtm and tmux now. using mocp for music and links2 for text and graphics browsing. I would like to find text only, or TUI/ncurses software for word processing, spreadsheets, and databases. So far I think DOS had the advantage in those types of programs. UNIX/Linux being more focused on servers and coding, etc.

Seaken64

christophe
    christophe

I’m exploring dvtm and tmux now.

What is your impression of these? I’ve been mucking about with mc and nano and using an X terrminal emulator recently. What do you find good & not-so-good / just-different, regarding using terminal (no-X)? In the past, I felt like I was trying to read through binoculars, or something… (It’s hard to describe.) Awkward in the extreme. Maybe, however, a terminal multiplexer would work for me. I’ve never tried one, though I’ve heard a little about them. What can you say about it?

(And, I, too, remember old MS-DOS without Windows.)

skidoo

seaken64, start here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_framebuffer
    https://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/fbterm-birth-of-the-cool-for-the-console/

The following will allow you to read some pre-installed docs
    as well as discover several pre-installed programs which run “X-less” in a framebuffer environment:

apropos framebuffer
    man fbdev
    man fbdevhw

I invite you to sudo apt install fbterm fbset
    and
    man fbterm
    man fbset

and visit (bookmark):
    https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO/index.html
    http://blog.startaylor.net/2016/05/30/howto-console/

FYI, you can even run an “X-less” web browser ~~ netsurf (debian package “netsurf-fb”)

skidoo

mc and nano and using an X terrminal emulator recently. What do you find good & not-so-good / just-different, regarding using terminal (no-X)? In the past, I felt like I was trying to read through binoculars, or something… (It’s hard to describe.) Awkward in the extreme.

I change between contexts often & have a miserable time trying to memorize keybinds.
    “ranger” file manager makes it easy to (right arrow) browse and/or edit textfiles, and view imagefiles. F1 then “k” to view the currently assigned keybinds… headspin. No way I would ever memorize ’em. Some of these fandangled “powerful” terminal emulators have waaaaaay to many pre-assigned keybinds waiting, just waiting, for my fat-fingered accidental activation. If I stay with just the arrow keys in ranger, I can avoid those landmines and (more convenient, compared to mc?) after viewing a file, pressing the Esc key dismisses the image preview.

I’m not a CLI junkie, I just make use of that environment when it seems most suitable for the task at hand (which, during my daily computing, seems to be about 60% of the time).

seaken64

I’m exploring dvtm and tmux now.

What is your impression of these? I’ve been mucking about with mc and nano and using an X terrminal emulator recently. What do you find good & not-so-good / just-different, regarding using terminal (no-X)? In the past, I felt like I was trying to read through binoculars, or something… (It’s hard to describe.) Awkward in the extreme. Maybe, however, a terminal multiplexer would work for me. I’ve never tried one, though I’ve heard a little about them. What can you say about it?

(And, I, too, remember old MS-DOS without Windows.)

A terminal multiplexer allows us to have more than one “window” open at the same time. I had been looking for a way to switch between mc and mocp, or other terminal app, without having to close the one down to open the other. For me, it’s more of an experiment and hobby interest. I still use the GUI every day and I prefer it in general. I would not go text only for my daily driver. But I am interested to learn what the text only linux is capable of beyond the standard server applications.

But I can see if I was doing a lot of writing or coding and had limited resources that the terminal multiplexer would allow me to be productive without a GUI. It’s real strength is with administering multiple servers. But the feature of multiple windows is a boon even when I am not being an admin.

Seaken64

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.