Is there a way to install antix on a first gen intel Mac mini

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Is there a way to install antix on a first gen intel Mac mini

• This topic has 23 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Sep 30-6:15 pm by Noman01.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Is there a way to install antix on a first gen Mac mini, I’ve looked into to it a little around the web and it seems that it’s not the easiest thing to do. I’ve some threads that indicate some of the users here have done it. But I was unable to find any further guidance. Looking to repurpose some used equipment. Thanks.

It’s possible, but does it make sense? It doesn’t bring much.
    With Linux you can’t really do any serious work.
    Surfing the web works on both.

It’s possible, but does it make sense? It doesn’t bring much.
    With Linux you can’t really do any serious work.
    Surfing the web works on both.

You can do serious work on Linux too. Just use Microsoft Web Apps (Word, Excel, etc…) preferably by installing ICE to have seamless links or App links to WebApps from Google Chrome. Most Word or Excel users will not see a difference from real installed applications unless e.g. you need advanced features such as Pivot Tables.
    On top of that the huge advantage of antiX for this productivity purpose is a great Live capability so you can carry your system on a little Cruzer Fit in your wallet…
    Additional user-friendliness can be added by a more mainstream theme, such as recently proposed ‘Win10’ theme, but if currently provided in antiX ‘Win7’ lookalike themes can be made more aesthetic then could be fine too.

masinickmasinick

Great response olsztyn!

Flexible features, to me, are a lot of the personal appeal (at least to me) that antiX and it’s Debian parent bring to the community.

There are a lot of solid software systems. antiX is not unique in this regard. What has long been appealing to me is the combination of flexibility and efficiency. Not too many systems have the blend that appeals to me as much as what our community offers.

Keep in mind, this is my opinion. Others are free to express other opinions, as long as they are consistent with the forum policy.

Brian Masinick

capreacaprea

It’s possible, but does it make sense?

What is the point for someone who doesn’t see the sense in installing antiX to post in the antiX-forum, other than trolling?

My question is directed in particular to the moderators and administrators, are they here ?

After posting this question and seeing I wasn’t getting the question answered in a productive manner, I went ahead and gave it a shot and got it to worked. The purpose of doing this was to see if one it could be done, and to see if I could repurpose the machine instead of throwing it out and it worked. It a little slow but it works just fine for my needs and shows me that antix can be put on just about anything.

@caprea

Check your Mac… tell me what it can do OOTB that‘ll make just a headache to most Linux users out there and then we might continue discussing your repeated trolling.

@olsztyn

Surely you can do some simple work, as you state with the example of MS online office or Google Office apps.

On the other side, you can‘t do any serious work because you depend on the applications which are either not available or not properly running under Linux. If you want to get them working without issues, you‘ll probably end up installing certified OS (RedHat). One exception is movie industry (which also makes their own components) in addition to Blender, DaVinci Resolve, Lightworks… and usually use… CentOS/RedHat.

GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus… are all fine, but can‘t compete with Adobe or Affinity. For an inexpirienced user even much less so. I could continue forever with examples.

Didn‘t BobC recently had a headache with recording and cutting a simple video, „without RTFM“? Well, every Mac comes with QuickTime and iMovie… it‘s done in a glance, without installing anything. Just one small example.

For a simple documents, you‘ve got office suite preinstalled to, including a set of very professional templates that MS Office will not have even in 2050. Very handy for an average user. Even MS presents new products in a Keynote, not in PowerPointNote.

„On top of that the huge advantage of antiX for this productivity purpose is a great Live capability so you can carry your system on a little Cruzer Fit in your wallet…“

Absolutely correct, exceppt… Mac OS can be easily installed on a USB and it‘ll run with all your applications on almost every other Mac unless we fall into „recycling“ category.

„Is there a way to INSTALL…“ is however the key that makes your USB argument invalid since antiX Live doesn‘t need to be installed.

Linux is very different from Mac, unlike Windows. It already starts with a new keyboard layout which is not very Maclike neither Windowslike.

Only problem is that 1st gen. Mac mini can‘t install recent MacOS versions and will not get any updates any more. Sems like a time for another Mac.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

What is the point for someone who doesn’t see the sense in installing antiX to post in the antiX-forum, other than trolling?

My question is directed in particular to the moderators and administrators, are they here ?

noclue sent to the sin bin.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

capreacaprea

Absolutely fair,it was massive disruption to the normal forum flow.IMO.

christophechristophe

Thank you. I agree. It was just too much.

Absolutely correct, exceppt… Mac OS can be easily installed on a USB and it‘ll run with all your applications on almost every other Mac unless we fall into „recycling“ category.

@Anonymous:
    Yes, indeed. I see nothing materially incorrect in the examples you quote as mainstream top of the line applications used for professional use and that nothing comes sufficiently close to them in Linux world to offer a real world market competition. So as another example if you want an AutoCAD for architects and engineers in Linux world I am not aware of such.
    However I just want to highlight the fact that in case of most common mainstream productivity applications, such as Excel, Word and Powerpoint, which are certainly used for ‘serious work’, most users using them never use or need to use their advanced functions. So e.g. my daughter studying at a medical university is just fine and actually prefers the Microsoft Online Office as she does never need sophisticated functions such as Pivot Tables. Extrapolating the fact that most users do not actually use advanced functions even if they use mainstream applications capable of them the conclusion is that you can effectively build a ‘mainstream serious work system’ based on Linux, such as antiX. Therefore it is no surprise that Peppermint Linux what is does as a distinguishing factor is to include ICE and Microsoft Online Office. As we can do the same on antiX, we are way ahead in building a productivity OS capable to run on just any hardware at hand. Granted, this would not satisfy the outlier user base who do need advanced functions of real top of the line applications, to your point…
    As for my reference to antiX Live on USB as ‘on top of this’ advantage and your claim that it is not applicable to the user case since his objective was to install, I do not agree with your assessment for the reason that:
    – If you can boot from USB you may be able to avoid the actual installation effort, which was successful anyway according to the user’s subsequent post.
    – You can boot the same fully configured system, including mainstream productivity apps, such as Microsoft Online Office from the same tiny USB on any hardware at hand as hardware configuration is being detected during boot time in Live, vs. during install time.
    In my experience in case of antiX there is a great advantage of Live configuration and Frugal, which makes actual install not too often actually required…
    As far as your reference to Mac falling into ‘need to be recycled’ category, this actually proves a great advantage of antiX over Mac OS, as antiX supports hardware that is no longer supported by Apple, telling their users to recycle their laptops and buy new ones… I think this was the originator’s of this thread concern expressing willingness to use antiX to save his machine from ‘recycling’…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

After posting this question and seeing I wasn’t getting the question answered in a productive manner, I went ahead and gave it a shot and got it to worked. The purpose of doing this was to see if one it could be done, and to see if I could repurpose the machine instead of throwing it out and it worked. It a little slow but it works just fine for my needs and shows me that antix can be put on just about anything.

Hi! I’v never owned a Mac, but, probably would be nice if you explained how you got antiX to work on your machine, just in case any more users want to do the same, if they search tht forum, they’ll know what to do!
    Also – about antiX being “slow”- if this has anything to do with RAM usage, you can try not using a file manager to manage your desktop icons, or even try using other desktops (I mean in Menu – Desktop – choose “ICE” or “JWM” or “Fluxbox”).
    If you use your computer for internet browsing, Firefox ESR can take a long time to load- try another browser, even Chromium or Ungoogled-chromium- this last one loads in about half the time FF does on my old single core atom netbook, and even runs 720HD youtube videos (running on about 100% usage)…

One final word- I do understand why someone would not recommend installing antiX on a certain machine- maybe it can be said in a more tactful way… for example- if a user comes here saying he/she has a 8 Gb, quad-core computer, with licensed Windows 10 and MS Office 2019 and then say wants to use antiX for Office work, I would probably not recommend installing any other OS- that one just fits like a glove to that particular user… But most people use antiX (or Linux generally) just like Noman01 does- to revive old hardware, to be able to run a safe and updated system, or even for privacy, security or ideological reasons- those are all very good arguments to install antiX.

That being said, I’ve used Linux as my main OS for web browsing, office work, watching DVD’s and other video files, and even some gamming (some years ago).
    Using Linux instead Windows/Mac can lead to some unfortunate restrictions on the computer’s use: like the fact that I can’t watch my tv streaming service in Linux (before it used Streamlight, that I never go to work with my service, and now my only option is using a Windows or Mac application – Wine installs that application with an error and then it refuses to run), Fortunately the trend is that software developers and turning more and more to web applications – that run just fine in Linux and in antiX particularly – I even have Ice On-line MS Word- just in case I need it for compatibility reasons).

P.

Thank you for your response. The slow issue is do to the ram there’s only 1GB of ram I knew there might be issues going with this when I started. Question, what is and how do you find an Ungoogled-chromium and install it. The computer is a 1st or 2nd gen mac mini intel core 2 cpu, 01gb of ram, 160gb drive. It was trying to run snow leopard. but was very slow (much slower than it runs now). I looked around the web and everyone that had any input basically said it was very difficult to get linux to install and that it might not even work at all.

Well I have used antix before way back when mephis was still going strong and antix was using it for it’s base. Anyway to get to the point I had tried to install several other distro’s that are suppose to all that and got no where on the larger laptop (a toshiba). I had just finished installing antix 32bit on a toshiba netbook and it just worked, so not really needing windows, I went to my larger laptop and went to work on it , well I couldn’t get the grub to install right when I tried to reboot the error msg on the screen was looking for media. After several attempts at clicking on mbr I tried esp and it took(something to do with the secure-boot).

I took the usb drive I made for the bigger laptop (antix 64bit) and pluged into the the mini turned on held down the option key and it brought up the drives, I booted from the usb drive and antix loaded. Once loaded I started the install and got an error msg that the process couldn’t proceed any further. So I shut the computer down rebooted and the only drive that showed up was the usb drive which told me the the boot loader for the apple os was gone, so I loaded up antix again and restarted the installation and this time it worked and I put the grub again in the esp and rebooted and now I have a mac mini runing antix linux. I’m a newbie compared to some of the people on this forum and am still learning. (Let’s just say I was a little shocked by some of the follow-up I got when I first posted my question.)

what is and how do you find an Ungoogled-chromium and install it

That browser is a fork of Chromium, stripped from everything google related. It does not even directly the user to install extensions. It’s much lighter on the RAM than Chrome or Firefox, at least according to my experience…

You can download it from here: https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/
    the quickest way to take a look at it using the appimage (download it, make it executable and then run it). But the appimage is not up to date. Appimages may take a while longer loading because they have to be uncompressed on the fly…
    You can also quickly test this browser using the “Portable Linux 64-bit”- just uncompress that file, navigate to the uncompresse folder and run the executable. It’s faster than the appimage to load, also it’s much more up to date.
    You can also install the .deb files (requires you to install a couple of .deb files, not just the main one…, they are also available on the same on-line source)-
    Of course you can always compile the latest version of the browser 🙂
    In case you try using antiX 19, you can install the deb files for the most recent version of the browser…

Note: my live antiX 19b3, on a non nvidia video card netbook (the nvidia drive takes about 25 Mb of RAM), using only the IceWM desktop (without a file manager managing the desktop icons), with conky turned off, takes less than 100 Mb of idle RAM, and you got yourself a up to date Debian 10 computer, as fast and secure as can be!)

P.

Thank you for the information, just did the icewn desktop with conky off will see how that works, will work on the ungoogled-software tomorrow on my day off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.