Is there a way to load a frugal testing (buster) system?

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Is there a way to load a frugal testing (buster) system?

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jan 24-10:58 am by BobC.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BobC

I know how to load a frugal system, but there is no point in that where I get the option of using the testing repos.

I could install a testing system to the hard drive, then create an ISO of it and then put the ISO in a partition on the hard drive, and I guess create a grub entry for it, I think, but I was just wondering if that was a good way or there was something better.

I was thinking of running it with persistence so I can have a fall back starting point of where the ISO was created.

I’m also not sure if the grub entry with persistence would be the same.

If not, I guess I could create the ISO after getting it loaded, and just put it off to the side for if I needed it.

What is reasonable to do?

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

There are two approaches. One way would be to first do the frugal install. Then when you boot into the frugal system, make all the changes you want and before you shutdown do a live-remaster. You could also make the changes and do a live-remaster on the live-usb before doing the frugal install. If you want to make your changes on the live-usb first then you must do the live-remaster and then reboot before you do the frugal install, otherwise your changes won’t show up.

The difficulty with both methods is that if there are a lot of changes on the file system due to changing repos then you will need to have plenty of RAM available to store those changes until you do the live-remaster (and reboot). If you don’t have much RAM then you can use static root persistence to store the changes directly on a rootfs file (either on the live-usb or in the frugal install).

As for booting a frugal install, we offer two choices but, of course, you are free to do it other ways as well. The neat thing about the “frugal” options on the live-usb is that the first time it is used, we perform the frugal install. After that, instead of installing again, we boot into the frugal system. So if you save your bootloader settings when you do the frugal install, the live-usb will default to booting into the frugal system on subsequent boots.

For the case where you have already have a grub bootloader on the system and you want to boot into the frugal install from it, we create a “grub.entry” file (or something like that) in the frugal directory that you can copy and paste into a grub.cfg file.

If you want, you could put multiple frugal installs on the same partition. To do this you need to use the “fdir=xxxx” boot parameter. This will set the top level directory of the frugal install. Everything for a frugal install goes into just one directory.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the reply, bitjam. I did the frugal install to the hard drive, but don’t see how to change it from stable (9.x stretch) over to testing (10.x? buster). My thought is to keep it as simple as possible, and switch to buster, then after that works, add my additional packages.

I have been successful using grub.entry pasted into /etc/grub.d/40_custom, thanks for that 🙂

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

You have to manually edit the antix.list, debian.list and debian-stable-updates.list in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, thanks, I was thinking of duplicating the sequence of repos from the install done with testing, but then what do I do, update and upgrade? Is that all?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade

BTW – I have a persistence rootfs of 1.5GB, but for the initial dist-upgrade you probably need a larger one, just to make sure you don’t run out of space.

You’ll probably need at least 4GB RAM as well.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Ok, I was running the wrong command and didn’t have enough memory on that machine…

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.