ISO is Too Bloody Big [SOLVED]

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” ISO is Too Bloody Big [SOLVED]

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Apr 9-10:17 pm by ezno.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ezno

Howdy.

A long, long time ago (15 years), I could burn Ubuntu onto a CD-R and it was quite a feat to have an entire, bootable live disc to take around and install Ubuntu on everything.

Today, in anticipation of a pair of 256 MB PC100 SODIMM’s coming in tomorrow’s post, I downloaded antiX 21 base and blew the dust off an old tin of blank CD-R’s. The ISO is too big. 81 MB too big for the CD-R. AntiX base is supposed to be the distro for old computers, right? I ask that with a wink because I know it’s ridiculous to expect support for a 20-year-old PIII laptop with half a gig of RAM, but in all seriousness, I’m curious to know what is taking up all the space. Why would a full-on distro with all the bells and whistles fit comfortably on a CD-R 15 years ago while a stripped-down base distro is too big today?

In addition to satisfying my curiosity, I’d like a little guidance, if anyone would, please. Currently, antiX 19 core is on the laptop in question with its current 168 MB of RAM. I thought after quadrupling the RAM, I’d treat myself to a bit of GUI in addition to an update. But since I can’t cram antiX base onto a CD-R, and because the laptop won’t boot from the USB drive, I need to do one of the following:

1.) Find a way to get antiX 21 base onto a bootable disk.
      2.) Find another distro that will fit on a CD-R and isn’t Puppy (reasons).
      3.) Find a guide to walk me through installing i3 and setting up a proper GUI environment on the current, working install of antiX 19 core.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by ezno.
      caprea

You can try this, it should work, it does for me.
        Burn an antiX21 core CD, also make a live usb stick of antiX21 full or base.Please be aware that it must be the same version.
        Of course this also works with antiX19 core CD and 19 live base or full usb also both in the same version.

Boot the CD, also put the usb stick in one of the usb ports. On the bootscreen look for the choice of the boot options, It’s F4 or something. Choose the from=usb option.Now start the boot, the CD will first start to boot but then automagically the boot will continue from the live stick.

christophe

Burn an antiX21 core CD, also make a live usb stick of antiX21 full or base.Please be aware that it must be the same version.
          Of course this also works with antiX19 core CD and 19 live base or full usb also both in the same version.

Boot the CD, also put the usb stick in one of the usb ports. On the bootscreen look for the choice of the boot options, It’s F4 or something. Choose the from=usb option.Now start the boot, the CD will first start to boot but then automagically the boot will continue from the live stick.

That is a GREAT tip!!

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

andyprough

If @caprea’s solution doesn’t work for you, you can download my antiX-19 32-bit base respin which was 694mb, small enough to fit on a CD-R. The links to my download sites for the ISO are in this thread: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-libre-respin/page/2/#post-55939

I’ve been meaning to burn some antiX-21 base respins that were smaller than 700mb, I’ll have to get that done soon.

madibi

Another solution, is to create a media boot with plop (http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html) that may fit also onto a floppy, or almost whatever your old pc supports for the boot.
              From there you make to boot from the usb port.
              @Caprea’s solution is more elegant and “all in house”.
              m

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by madibi.
              sybok

You could also consider to:
                1) test antiX-21 live USB,
                2) create a live-USB “backup” of your current system/installation (for recovery purposes),
                3) upgrade the existing antiX-19 installation

The first two steps would require booting into a live-USB using e.g. the ‘plop’ or ‘antiX-base’ method.

The step 2) may be a reasonable thing to do before you upgrade/reinstall in any case.

andyprough

I made my antiX-21 Libre Respin 32-bit sub-700mb ISOs last night for burning to a CD-R, and uploaded them to Mega.nz for download. The thread with the download link and other info is here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-libre-21-respin-less-than-700mb-isos-32-bit-pae-and-non-pae/#post-80905

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by andyprough.
                  ezno

Brilliant! Worked like a charm. Thank you, caprea, for taking the time to pass that nugget along. I appreciate it!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by ezno.
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.