[solved]: remaster-antix and antiX menu files

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” [solved]: remaster-antix and antiX menu files

• This topic has 19 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jan 11-1:48 am by stevesr0.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    techore

I am using antiX 22 runit core. Attached inxi output.

Goal: I do not want the antiX base/full menu files created on generating an ISO for distribution.

After using iso-snapshot and boot or installing from the ISO, the /etc/skel directory contains .fluxbox/menu, .icewm/menu, and .jwm/menu. These were not present prior to using iso-snapshot nor was desktop-menu-antix installed.

Are these in fact created by iso-snapshot?
      If true, can it be disabled using an “-x?”
      Guidance on preventing or removing them would be appreciated.

iso-snapshot syntax I used to create the ISO.

iso-snapshot -c -r -s -z lz4 -x Desktop -x Documents -x Downloads -x Music -x Networks -x Pictures -x Steam -x Videos -x VirtualBox -f "$isoname"

Resulting /etc/skel.

ls -a /etc/skel/
      ./  ../  .config/  .fluxbox/  .gtkrc-2.0  .icewm/  .icons/  .jwm/  .xinitrc  .Xresources

dpkg-query results.

sudo dpkg-query -S /etc/skel/.fluxbox/menu
      dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/skel/.fluxbox/menu

Edit: updated title

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by techore.
      • This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by techore.
      • This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Brian Masinick.
      Attachments:
      christophe

When I did a snapshot from core, (I’m going by memory here), nothing was changed from what my original system had. I installed the package iso-snapshot-cli-antix (not the GUI version), so I don’t know if there’s a difference regarding that behavior.

I do know that in base/full, the snapshot’s root menu gets “tweaked” a bit from what I edited on my original system. But to the best of my recollection, it didn’t happen on core.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

christophe

I would test -x to exclude/etc/skel if it shows unwanted results without it.

I know you’re looking for a definite answer, and so I hung back a bit before giving a reply. Unless someone who knows for sure replies, the only thing to do is test (and I’m eager to know what you find.)
          ????

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

techore

@christophe, I am using all the “-x” options as described with “-h” which are for specific directories (see my syntax in the original post). Can you provide a “-x /etc/skel” or any path and exclude? Or are you suggesting to just give it a try?

Testing:

I have generated a new ISO using iso-snapshot-cli versus iso-snapshot. Writing it to usb to install as I type this and will share the results.

Shutting down since this is test laptop.

Forum Admin
            dolphin_oracle

snapshot does not write anything to /etc/skel

techore

@dolphin_oracle, thank you for reply. Does this provide additional insight?

Using dpkg on the ISO.

dpkg-query -S /etc/skel/.icewm/menu
                remaster-antix: /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/.icewm/menu

My initial assumption is I did something wrong and I don’t, generally, post unless I have spent hours independently investigating.

I appreciate all of you in providing ideas and guidance.

iznit

techore, before launching the snapshot program, edit iso-snapshot.conf
                  edit_boot_menu=no
                  edit_boot_menu=yes

Even though you may not want to edit specifically the boot menu, this setting should cause the snapshot program to pause during its operation

“The program will now pause to allow you to edit any files in the work directory. Select Yes to edit the boot menu or select No to bypass this step and continue creating the snapshot.”

then you select “Yes” and while the program is paused, you can go into work directory and edit or remove <workdir>/etc/skel/.icewm/menu or any other files you wish to customize different from the system being snapshotted.

techore

I may have answered the question.

cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/remaster-antix.list |grep skel
                    /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel
                    /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/.fluxbox
                    /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/.fluxbox/menu
                    /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/.icewm
                    /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/.icewm/menu
                    /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/.jwm
                    /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/.jwm/menu

If I am interpreting the output correctly, remaster-antix is responsible for creating the /etc/skel menu files. This results with them being written to the /etc/skel directory of the installed computer.

Correct?

iznit

techore, I will dare to expand dolphin_oracle’s statement to clarify
                      “snapshot does not DIRECTLY write anything to <workdir>/etc/skel”

we can say:
                      1) isosnapshot does depend on package “remaster-antix”.
                      2) remaster-antix package does contain copies of the default ((( /etc/skel/*/menu ))) menu files.
                      3) remaster-antix package does also contain an executable script named “installed-to-live”.
                      4) Within the installed-to-live script, the variable $LIVE_FILE_LIST enumerates a list of files.
                            you can view the script to see the /etc/skel/*/menu and other files listed there

5) isosnapshot calls the installed-to-live script which, in turn, does place copies of the default menu files within the workdir.

isosnapshot source file: work.cpp

// Setup the environment before taking the snapshot
                      void Work::setupEnv()
                      {
                          writeSnapshotInfo();
                          // setup environment if creating a respin (reset root/demo, remove personal accounts)
                          if (settings->reset_accounts) {
                              RUN("installed-to-live -b /.bind-root start " + bind_boot + "empty=/home general version-file read-only");
                          } else {
                              RUN("installed-to-live -b /.bind-root start bind=/home" + bind_boot_too + " live-files version-file adjtime read-only");
                          }
                      }

The pause mentioned in my previous post, it occurs after the automated placement of files. You then have opportunity to edit or add or delete any files within <workdir> before the snapshot iso is finalized.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by iznit. Reason: fix too many typos
                      iznit

to the best of my recollection, it didn’t happen on core.

christophe, I did not test on core. Right, those desktop menu files should not be appropriate to core. But within the isosnapshot program I didn’t see any special handling for core. Possibly the installed-to-live automated file placement does not occur when the isosnapshot program is launched on a LIVE ((( vs installed ))) system?

techore

dolphin_oracle’s statement was useful in guiding me to look elsewhere. Thank you, @dolphin_oracle.

@iznit, wow! and thank you. I see the relationship and excellent explanation. Need to retain it for future reference.

@christophe, on using iso-snapshot-cli 0.4.06, I get an unrecognized format error from grub on boot. I did it three times and the error was consistent. I appreciate the suggestion and may revisit iso-snapshot-cli using an unaltered antix-core install to verify my changes didn’t break something.

The pause mentioned in my previous post, it occurs after the automated placement of files. You then have opportunity to edit or add or delete any files within <workdir> before the snapshot iso is finalized.

@iznit, it appears to be the best course of action. I was unaware of this option and appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I’ll give it a go tomorrow after some sleep.

Forum Admin
                          dolphin_oracle

Using dpkg on the ISO.

dpkg-query -S /etc/skel/.icewm/menu
                            remaster-antix: /usr/local/share/live-files/files/etc/skel/.icewm/menu

My initial assumption is I did something wrong and I don’t, generally, post unless I have spent hours independently investigating.

I appreciate all of you in providing ideas and guidance.

so apparently I was wrong 🙂

the files under /usr/local/share/live-files are a sort of “reset to default case” files, used by both remaster and snapshot. I didn’t realize the menu files were actually there.

workaround would be to remove the files in the /usr/local/share/live-files that you don’t want to show up in /etc/skel before running the snapshot. they might come back if antiX updates remaster-antix, but at least now you know.

techore

I ran into a problem using iso-snapshot via cli (-c) and “edit_boot_menu=yes.”

It launches the default editor and prints at the top of the screen “Processing command…” where the three dots blink. Attempting to exit nano using ctrl-x or :q using vi/vim/nvim do not work and ctrl+c/z results with iso-snapshot aborting. Not exactly a surprise that last bit.

I don’t use xorg (startx) as part of my spin creation process, but seeing a reference to leafpad in the iso-snapshot.conf, I installed leafpad, startx, and iso-snapshot without “-c” and it worked using leafpad. Substituting leafpad with a cli text editor in iso-snapshot.conf resulted with “Processing command…” It does state GUI text editor in the conf file so not exactly surprising.

The option “-c” and having to launch xorg and install a GUI editor feels like a contradiction and my preference is to do all this from the cli wihthout xorg. I know, I am stubborn. 🙂

I can change my process and launch xorg but is this an oversight?

Correction: see struck-out text.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by techore.
                              iznit

iso-snapshot-cli

The details I posted earalier were from looking at “iso-snapshot” program. The “iso-snapshot-cli” pause message is slightly different. The message shown when edit_boot_menu=yes is simply “The program will pause the build and open the boot menu in your text editor.”

I have not previously looked into “iso-snapshot-cli”….. and one aspect of it seems wierd (((inappropriate))). It is a cli app, but by default it wants to call “leafpad” as a default text editor. Deleting or commenting the iso-snapshot.conf line “gui_editor=/usr/bin/leafpad” will cause it to instead look for “nano” as the editor. Not important for techore or other CORE users except leafpad may not be found and/or no X session may be available for other “gui_editor” assignment.

techore

@iznit. I agree on all points.

I am not hopeful with iso-snapshot-cli but I have not tested further after the initial error.

After a break, I will take another run at iso-snapshot-cli. I am frustrated but not giving up! Thank you, guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.