iso-snapshot-antix & live-usb-maker-gui-antix & btrfs support

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins iso-snapshot-antix & live-usb-maker-gui-antix & btrfs support

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Oct 6-6:45 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    techore

I am digging into iso-snapshot and live-usb-maker tools. With my initial test, it defaulted to ext4 not the original btrfs.

On reviewing live-usb-maker –help, I see an an arg ‘–format=<fs>’ which I presume would permit me to “–format=btrfs” but I have my doubts. For example, I don’t see an option to create @volumes nor @subvols.

Can I create a live usb to install using btrfs?

olsztyn

Hopefully experts will provide more details. I am interested as well…

From what I know (I may be wrong, so hopefully experts will correct me) if you specify –format=btrfs as option on live-usb-maker then the target usb will be formatted to btrfs but this is where execution of live-usb-maker ends. From my experience at least. Consider it a bug or something to improve, if I am not mistaken…
        If you re-execute live-usb-maker on such btrfs formatted target usb, then live-usb-maker will create EXT4 partition for antiX Live and the data partition with your choice of format out of: EXT4, VFAT, FAT32 or NTFS.
        After creation of antiX Live usb completes you are free to convert such data partition to btrfs and copy or even move antiX Live to btrfs partition. At least this is the way I have done. So, from my experience antiX Live on btrfs does work, but there seems no way to create antiX Live on btrfs directly from execution of live-usb-maker.

Experts – please correct me and hopefully expand…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by olsztyn.
        • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

techore

@olsztyn, I am in a agreement with you and suspect your hypothesis is correct.

In developing both iso-snapshot and live-usb-makger-gui, choices had to be made. Using grub2 and ext4 is consistent with antix-base and it is unreasonable and, probably, impractical to expect my preferences for rEFInd and BTRFS to be supported.

A couple folks expressed interest in an ISO of my antiX-DWM Respin which led me to explore iso-snapshot. I may focus my time and energy with an installation script to simplify installation. Undecided, but this was time well spent.

Thank you!

Brian Masinick
            Helpful

Up

:: @olsztyn, I am in a agreement with you and suspect your hypothesis is correct.

In developing both iso-snapshot and live-usb-maker-gui, choices had to be made. Using grub2 and ext4 is consistent with antix-base and it is unreasonable and, probably, impractical to expect my preferences for rEFInd and BTRFS to be supported.

A couple folks expressed interest in an ISO of my antiX-DWM Respin which led me to explore iso-snapshot. I may focus my time and energy with an installation script to simplify installation. Undecided, but this was time well spent.

Thank you!

I applaud your comments and your general attitude.

I think it’s great to be able to do things in whatever way that you want, and that’s exactly why we have the great tools that allow you to image, create, modify, change, and ultimately remaster in whatever way suits your particular interests, so the team definitely does have our interests in mind. At the same time, with such a small team, and also with specific “lean” distribution goals, it isn’t reasonable to offer every possible boot loader, application, etc. etc. for each of us. What IS available are great tools to add things (whatever you want) to the distribution, and if you so choose, also a way to remaster them so that when you boot it, you can use it live, install it, run it Frugal, or any of the other ways – including the creation of your very own methods, applications, tools, and preferences.

I also think you know these things; best wishes with whatever you decide to do with the wonderful flexibility our distribution offers, including the replacement of various apps with whatever you prefer (then you manage and own it 100%).

Best wishes; enjoy the lean defaults plus the great variety possible with antiX!

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Regarding btrfs and other file systems, I’m not 100% positive about the behaviors available, and it may be nice to add additional filesystems to the available choices, if they’re not already provided, but as also mentioned, with a few creative moves (and possibly some extra steps) there are ways to ultimately produce a system with whatever filesystem you want.

It’s a worthwhile feature request (and documentation update) IF these capabilities are actually present now (I’m not sure one way or the other myself).

I’m content though; we have a lot of great capabilities in our current system.

--
              Brian Masinick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.