isofromlive (a commandline utility) creates an iso of a running live system

Forum Forums antiX-development Development isofromlive (a commandline utility) creates an iso of a running live system

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 23-5:31 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    skidoo

Non-gui utility intended for use on a live running antiX
    (net/core edition, single-user mode console, ssh remote/headless… or from console or terminal emulator during multiuser session)

Creates an iso file containing a snapshot image of the running system.
    The generated iso can be used to create a customized live-CD.
    It may also serve as an archive/backup, passed to live-usb-maker later to create a liveUSB.

isofromlive

This utility copies a running antiX live system, squashes the copy and generates an iso image file suitable for use in the production of a customized live-CD.

Also, (untested) by feeding the iso to “live-usb-maker”, the iso may be suitable for creation of “from iso backup” customized live-USB.

Can review the isofromlive code (a bash script) here: https://gitlab.com/skidoo/isofromlive/blob/master/isofromlive

packaged as a debfile, available for installation/testing: {{ URL TEMPORARILY REDACTED — the default excludes_list needs to be tweaked }}
    to install:
    sudo dpkg -i /path-to-downloads-dir/isofromlive_0.1.2_all.deb

The following screenshots provide a runtime walkthrough

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

possible FAQs, prior to testing and feedback:

Q: Can I use isofromlive during a livession when persistence is enabled?
    A: Yes, and it can also be used during a NON persistence session.

Q: Will the iso reflect even the changes I made, packages I installed, 5 minutes ago?
    A: Yes. (independent of persistence, it creates a point-in-time copy, doesn’t require persist-save in advance)

Q: Can I run this utility on an installed-to-HDD antiX system? Howabout on a Mint system?
    A: No.
    A: No.

Q: Can I run this utility on MX Linux, during a liveboot session?
    A: To be safe, wait for the MX developers to check/tweak it (handle any differing details) + issue a renamed version.

Q: Screenshot text says “MANY minutes”. How long does it actually take to make the copy?
    A: It’s hugely a YMMV thing. On a 12-core CPU @3.9GHz, tested average time to completion (using default config) was 3min 15sec (1.0Gb iso)

Q: Can I still use isofromlive if I’ve wholedisk encrypted my boot partition?
    A: Yes, probably (untested). Bear in mind: contents within the fresh linuxfs copy will be unencrypted.

Q: What is “Live-USB-Storage”? I can’t find that on my antiX live system.
    A: doc: “The live-usb-store feature creates a Live-usb-storage/ subdirectory in your home directory that gives you access to all of the remaining storage space on the main live-usb partition.” A couple dolphin_oracle videos demonstrate it / provide a detailied explanation, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0mRZh2hiY&t=503

Q: Does EVERYTHING get copied? Part of the motivation for my custom iso is get a smaller, leanermeaner version.
    A: isofromlive ships with a curated list of paths//files to be omitted during the copy operation. Please inspect this list, and edit it to suit your preferences.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by skidoo.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks skidoo.

Just to confirm it worked for me running live antiX-18-a1-base 32 bit in VBox.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Creates an iso file containing a snapshot image of the running system.

Looks to me it further enhances customization ability of AntiX.
    But pardon my (most likely) ignorant question: In what sense it is different from Control Center/Maitenance/Create Snapshot? I sense here there is a significant difference but I did not have the time to test and become familiar with snapshots, so bear with me…
    Testing I performed confirmed a wonderful design of AntiX that when creating Live USB from running system it carries over all customizations, including users and their login authentication. The same holds for installs or creating frugal installs. I understand ISOFROMLIVE does exactly this but creates an ISO, rather than USB stick…

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

significant differences:
    1) isofromlive provides limited functionality compared to the pre-existing “snapshot” tool ( /usr/bin/isosnapshot )
    2) isofromlive can be launched from console (i.e. no Xsession); isosnapshot cannot.

isosnapshot, aka “Control Center/Maitenance/Create Snapshot” enables choosing whether or not user accounts are preserved, or are reset in the resulting copy. The isofromlive utility does not; it unconditionally preserves any user accounts. (By manually editing the isofromlive exclusions list, you can still withhold selected files or folders from the copy, though.)

Unless you’re running the “net” or “core” edition of antiX, you can just ignore the availability of isofromlive.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you. This clarifies.
    Appreciate your taking the time to explain the difference.
    Best Regards.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.