issue with opening web links from external sources

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” issue with opening web links from external sources

Tagged: 

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jan 16-9:10 am by ModdIt.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ATGhQlsvhij19tw5jgDi

Hi all,
      I am recently approaching antix, coming from several years of *ubuntu and a couple of mxlinux, and have several issues I cant find a solution to just yet.
      Please I apology if I will open few topics in the next coming days eheh

When I click on a web link in an external program, with firefox already up and running, a pop up with the following error comes up

“Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To use Firefox, you must first close the existing Firefox process, restart your device, or use a different profile.”

how can I modify the behavior/variable within the default antix DE (I like to keep things as essential and default as possible so touching the DE minimally) in order for me to open any web link from e.g. an email client into a new firefox tab, when firefox is already running ?

Thank you

🙂

blur13

I cant replicate your error, but I know that mapping a key in icewm to “firefox-esr URL” will result in that error if pressed twice. My solution was to use “firefox-esr –new-window URL”, you could use –new-tab if you prefer. Maybe editing /usr/share/applications/firefox-esr.desktop
        Exec=/usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr %u
        try
        Exec=/usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr --new-window %u

The forum usually messes up the formatting, thats two dashes in front of new-window.

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Fixed it blur using code tags.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

ATGhQlsvhij19tw5jgDi

thank you, I have tried but it is still not working.
            the links I try to open are from my email client .AppImage , if this can give a better idea of the issue.
            thank you! very kind of you all

Forum Admin
            rokytnji

Appimages by their very nature

Every AppImage contains an app and all the files the app needs to run. In other words, each AppImage has no dependencies other than what is included in the targeted base operating system (s). Trusted.

Not sure what we can do?

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

ModdIt

Try running the appimage from a terminal command, you may find it is missing dependancys, or even not what you think it is.

Recent experience of student with appimage, required specific system Librarys because the packager did not include them.
                Included Binary may be be compiled with specific flags. Not long ago in a Browser package that was processor Zeon.
                Result, will not start or crash on other architectures.

Appimages are also a very nice vehicle for installing unfriendly guests, they are not running in a sandboxed environment.
                Even if coming with a checksum the developer may have either inadvertantly or maliciously added extra value. Telemetry
                Screen grabber miner for example.

Trust them I do not. Always work, no. Recommend to use, definitely not.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.