Issue with SSD and old motherboard [SOLVED]

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Issue with SSD and old motherboard [SOLVED]

• This topic has 14 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 27-8:00 pm by ModdIt.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    musetto

Hello, everybody.

I bought an SSD drive for both the desktop computers of my mother which are often used by my two children, too.
      The SSD model is: Yucun R570 2.5 SATA III 6Gb/s Solid State Disk and the size is 240 GB.

The more recent motherboard is an Asrock Q1900M featuring an P-III Celeron (Katmai), 2 GHz, and 16 GB RAM. The BIOS version is 2.00.
      No issue with MX Linux 21 with and this motherboard.

The less recent (or better the rather old) motherboard is an ECS RC410-M rev. 1.1 with 3.19 version of BIOS. It sports 4 GB RAM although only 3 are used.
      As far as this motherboard is concerned, I experience more troubles and I haven’t negotiated my way out yet.

First, the SSD is recognized by the BIOS but MX linux 21 does not list it as an available drive. It seems it does not exist for it.

Second, after doing my researches, I found that there is a newer BIOS version available for the motherboard, the 3.24. As it goes, it seems I needed Windows to flash it.
      Thus I installed a Windows XP professional 64-bit in a partition of the old hard disk drive. In this case, too, the SSD drive is not visible. I thought it depended on the Windows XP. Perhaps I should have installed Windows 7 as the program to flash the 3.24 version does not run. I have to run it as an administrator and even if I do it, the program stops with the same message: “You must run it as an administrator”. However, this is another story.

Third, I then decided to connect the SSD as an external USB drive by means of an SSD-to-USB adaptor. In this case, there was no problem. However, I didn’t like this solution because I have to keep the SSD inside the SSD-to-USB adaptor case and outside the desktop case.

Fourth, I used the installer program to install MX Linux on the SSD (seen as a USB drive). Then, after taking the SSD from the SSD-to-USB adaptor I connected it to the motherboard. I configured the motherboard to boot from the SSD. It actually did! Unfortunately, after choosing to load MX Linux the boot process stops stating that:

Fatal Error
      Could not find file antiX/linuxfs
      Searched devices: /dev/sde … /dev/sda
      All block devices: /dev/sde/ … /dev/sda

Please contact BitJam at https://www.antixforum.com/

p = power off
      r = reboot

Select p or r then press <enter>
      “.

What do you think about?

Thank you!

seaken64

I have an ECS motherboard on one of my systems. The backup battery for the BIOS is flakey and unless I run the BIOS setup and a search for the drives ahead of time it crashes on boot. Check your CMOS battery.

I’m not sure if a SATA SSD will be supported. It is likely an IDE interface. Do you have SATA ports on the board?

Seaken64

christophe

Hi musetto,

You said the error message was:

Fatal Error
          Could not find file antiX/linuxfs

That sounds like a frugal install – like you made the ssd a live-usb when it was external. Is that the case? (Because a regularly installed system shouldn’t have a linuxfs.)

EDIT: I understand your line here as that is what you did:

Fourth, I used the installer program to install MX Linux on the SSD (seen as a USB drive).

So do this:

Try adding:
          from=hd
          to your boot command line. That should boot it from the ssd.

And don’t forget to save it, so subsequent boots keep it.

see also:
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/turning-your-hdd-to-a-non-removable-live-usb-using-live-usb-maker/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by christophe. Reason: rephrased a bit
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by christophe.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

musetto

Hello, Christophe.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will test it in 3-4 days because I will be working abroad starting by tomorrow.

@saeken64: the RC410-M rev 1.1 motherboard sports 4 serial ATA connectors; at present an old, slow and noisy hard disk drive (dated 2006) and a CD/DVD-player/writer (dated 2017) are connected.

seaken64

Hello, Christophe.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will test it in 3-4 days because I will be working abroad starting by tomorrow.

@saeken64: the RC410-M rev 1.1 motherboard sports 4 serial ATA connectors; at present an old, slow and noisy hard disk drive (dated 2006) and a CD/DVD-player/writer (dated 2017) are connected.

Ahh, ok. That’s good. If there are SATA ports you should be okay. Just got to figure out how to address them with the OS. Did you check your BIOS settings to make sure the SATA ports are active/on? I had one MB where I could turn both the IDE and SATA on/off.

Seaken64

musetto

@christophe
                I tried what you suggested. Unfortunately, the result did not change.

As a next step, I am going to connect the SSD as an SSD to the other computer and install MX linux on the SSD.
                Then, I will connect the SSD with the fresh install of MX linux to the old computer and see if it manages to boot.

I am wondering if the fact that the SSD is recognized by the BIOS of the RC-410M rev. 1.1 and then it “disappears” could be related to a compatibility issue between the motherboard and the SSD.

Anyway, thank you.

ModdIt

Hi musetto,
                  is IDE compatibility set in BIOS.
                  SSDs disappearing or not showing up during boot is commonly Firmware related, SSD firmware that is.
                  Update BIOS is good as often fixes issues or extends capability.

Is an updated Firmware available for your SSD, most can be updated, as usual from windoze only.
                  You may find a device from another manufacturer will work fine. Recent experience, Crucial MX
                  boot problems, a device from Patriot Fine. The Crucial drive is no issue in another computer.

musetto

Hello, Moddit.

I had to do some research but it eventually came out that the Chinese SSD I bought lacks any firmware update.

Therefore, I gave up with that Yucun SSD that, on the other hand, could be smoothly used in other more modern computer.

Anyway, I got the chance to buy an SSD drive (a Crucial BX500). This one was recognized by BIOS and also by MX Linux.

Thus, as you correctly hinted, it could all be related to the firmware. Or, better, to the quality of firmware.

As far as the computer with the RC410-M motherboard, I am going to replace the old HD with the Crucial SSD. This means that my issued is solved.

Thank you!

musetto

Hmm, I am wondering how to edit the heading so to add something like: [SOLVED].

Today I am very tired and I need to go to bed so I will search later.

caprea

After a certain time has passed, a change in the title is no longer possible for the OP.But I will gladly do it for you.

musetto

Thank you very much!
                          Your deed was appreciated by me!

ModdIt

Hi musetto, thanks for feedback, good your issue is solved.

Let us know after a while how your experience is with the Yucun drive.
                            There are a lot of five stars on amazon but they could be for money back
                            offer to dissatisfied customer, that still happens a lot.
                            Recent Personal experience not blabla. It is not just Chinese dealers either..

BobC

Yes, I use Crucial drives, including one with the same model as your new one. They are fast and cheap (bought used), and mine work fine with Linux.

musetto

Actually, I got the chance to buy two Yucun R570 2.5 SATA III 6Gb/s Solid State Disk and the size is 240 GB on Amazon and their price seemed reasonable to me.
                                The review written by other customers emphasized that, although its performance are not as good as other devices, the reliability is excellent.

With the Asrock motherboard, there was no issue at all. Mxlinux boots very fast (compared to the 1 TB HDD that used to be the main drive).

I did not have the time to test on other computers.

ModdIt

Yucun has Minimum German garantee as required by law but Price higher than Intenso and very near to other products with 3 or 5 year garantee
                                  and European service.
                                  Yucun Amazon Marketplace Seller is below, For sure not the manufacturer. Search the name and adress, you find everything from car parts to
                                  massage guns handled.

That does not mean the seller is not good, most are good helpful and reliable, if you ask politely for assistance that is.

jinshanqu weiqingxilu 421hao silou B-633
                                  shanghai
                                  jinshanqu
                                  shanghai
                                  CN

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.