Just a caution word – today’s antiX update may cause issues

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo Just a caution word – today’s antiX update may cause issues

• This topic has 27 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Feb 14-11:08 pm by j0ta.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

Just a caution, to be on the safe side – today’s and yesterday’s antiX update mostly replaces some antiX specific components with plain Debian ones.
      In result, this update also installs libelogind0, component defeating antiX elogind-free architecture.
      I have not updated due to these issues…

I do apologize if anticapitalista already warned users and I missed it…

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by olsztyn.
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

techore

Thank you!

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

Such as?
          I’m not seeing anything strange.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

Such as?

The following antiX specific components are being replaced with non-antiX ones:
            – at-spi2* – 2components
            – gir1.2-atk* – 2 components
            – libatk1.0-0
            – libspi2.0-0
            – libwbclient0
            – smartmontools

All these are ‘nosystemd’ versions, being replaced. Mostly related to accessibility, ATK and Samba. So such as magnifying readers, tool interfaces…
            Perhaps not all users have these… But it would be strange, because my attempt to remove libat* or libsp* components entails removing the whole bunch of antiX tools and functionality…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by olsztyn.

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

Are they coming from bookworm-backports?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Brian Masinick

Such as?

The following antiX specific components are being replaced with non-antiX ones:
                – at-spi2* – 2components
                – gir1.2-atk* – 2 components
                – libatk1.0-0
                – libspi2.0-0
                – libwbclient0
                – smartmontools

All these are ‘nosystemd’ versions, being replaced. Mostly related to accessibility, ATK and Samba. So such as magnifying readers, tool interfaces…
                Perhaps not all users have these… But it would be strange, because my attempt to remove libat* or libsp* components entails removing the whole bunch of antiX tools and functionality.

Thank you for sharing this. Quite often I “carelessly” add and modify software and I’ve brought in systemD packages and didn’t even realize it until I shared my ps_mem.py information!

I think I’ll play it “safe” and hold off for a little while before my next update!

--
                Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Yes.

Brian Masinick

Yes.

Excellent! In that case I’ll just make sure that bookworm-backports are disabled; I *believe* that is
                    how I have it configured, but I’ll check to be certain; usually bookworm-backports is only enabled
                    to acquire certain packages not consistently available.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

Yes.

On a fresh antiX-23.1 build, nothing gets upgraded via the bookworm-backports repo.
                      I wonder what brought them in.

Can you check what you have already installed from bookworm-backports?
                      Normally, we ship only with libreoffice from that repo.

olsztyn

On a fresh antiX-23.1 build, nothing gets upgraded via the bookworm-backports repo.
                        I wonder what brought them in.

My antiX is 23 upgraded to 23.1. So it affects only 23 installs, not fresh 23.1 installs…
                        Good to know.
                        I will try to find out.

Question for my understanding:
                        So much of antiX tools and functionality has these as dependency as it seems from trying to remove any of these. As long as Backports repo is attached, would these upgrades not be pulled in?
                        Disabling Backports repo does not bring these upgrades…

Brian Masinick

I found my backports enabled on my antiX 23.1 instance; just to “be safe”, I’ve disabled them until I actually want to install a package from there again.

After that, I updated my system with NO incident. Not sure if this was even necessary, but I did it anyway. (I know where it is if I ever want or need it enabled again for any reason).

--
                          Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Can you check what you have already installed from bookworm-backports?

I have been going through sources in Synaptic for origin selecting backports but I do not see anything exceptional in addition to LibreOffice components.
                            Is there a better way to identify what brings in these components?
                            – As far as I remember these components have been there at least since antiX 21. They have been ‘nosystemd’ and updated as such occasionally. Lots of antiX tools and functionality requires them.

You know better how to go about it, of course, but I see just two options:
                            – Disable Backports repo – not optimal I suppose
                            – Update these components as ‘nosystemd’ as has been done in the past.

Again, you will know the best what can be done. Just to stress, these components appear to be absolutely needed for antiX functionality, so removing them might not be an option (although I would gladly do it if antiX were not affected)…

Brian Masinick

@olsztyn said: “You know better how to go about it, of course, but I see just two options:
                              – Disable Backports repo – not optimal I suppose
                              – Update these components as ‘nosystemd’ as has been done in the past.”

I don’t see any problem with disabling the Backport repos; if there is anything you need
                              in the Backports, just enable it, install the app you want and disable it again.

As @anticapitalista said, normally the priority settings favor our repo over the
                              others; I don’t know whether synaptic is honoring those or not; I predominantly use
                              synaptic to look for stuff; I have one and two character alias commands that I typically
                              put together to run my day to day commands; mine are slightly different than the ones
                              that @anticapitalista uses; they are similar though to mine otherwise.

--
                              Brian Masinick

olsztyn

I found my backports enabled on my antiX 23.1 instance; just to “be safe”, I’ve disabled them until I actually want to install a package from there again.

In my case I do not mind Backports enabled. Just whenever I do updates I skip updating components where antiX specific versions are removed, replaced by plain Debian ones.
                                I always do it by default, so never run into problems. However some users who update antiX across the board, not looking at specific components might run into issues in result.
                                Disabling Backports you decided does resolve the update issue though…

Brian Masinick

I just ran my antiX 23 Full runit instance, and like the 23.1 instance, Backports was enabled; rather than run into potential issues, I disabled it; as I mentioned, I know how, and can enable it temporarily if I want a back ported app, or I can leave it enabled, but if there is stuff “sneaking in” incorrectly I’m keeping it disabled until the clear reason for this unwanted behavior is detected and resolved.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.