Just a caution word – today’s antiX update may cause issues

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo Just a caution word – today’s antiX update may cause issues

• This topic has 27 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Feb 14-11:08 pm by j0ta.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

Just to mention, anticapitalista has already created ‘nosystemd’ versions of the required level (2.50) in SID, so I think he is planning to release these to the antiX ‘stable’ any moment now…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Just to mention, anticapitalista has already created ‘nosystemd’ versions of the required level (2.50) in SID, so I think he is planning to release these to the antiX ‘stable’ any moment now…

He isn’t and I would prefer not to even as a last resort.

Brian got me thinking.
        Do you upgrade via terminal or synaptic?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

Brian got me thinking.

I understand this question is for Brian? If not then my answer is Synaptic. Never terminal to have more control…

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

Brian got me thinking.

I understand this question is for Brian? If not then my answer is Synaptic. Never terminal to have more control…

What happens if you try to upgrade via terminal?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

abc-nix

Use apt list --upgradable before updating. This will tell you if those packages will be updated and from what source.

olsztyn

What happens if you try to upgrade via terminal?

Sorry for delay…
                Same thing. The same antiX ‘nosystemd’ components have been replaced with plain Debian ones…
                No problem for me. Just will reboot and all changes will be gone…

But, just to make sure, please do not pay attention to me though. If it does not affect others I do not care about any solutions as I always inspect updates…

olsztyn

This will tell you if those packages will be updated and from what source.

Thank you @abc-nix.
                  I did not hesitate though to proceed with upgrading these antiX ‘nosystemd’ components to the alien ones as I am running Live with no persistence, so nothing like this would hurt me. I just reboot and any damage resolved…

I just feel bad that it is very late for anti to deal with this stupid issue at this late hour.
                  I almost sorry I brought it up, to cause all this trouble… I think it can wait until tomorrow or whenever…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by olsztyn.

Brian Masinick

Use apt list --upgradable before updating. This will tell you if those packages will be updated and from what source.

Excellent advice!

If you want to be careful, most output does include the description and details, you DO have to pay attention if you want to be careful and not make mistakes.

When I want to keep my systems clean and intact I pay careful attention. The systems I have recently put together are solid and very interesting. Right now I have THREE antiX implementations, an MX Linux AHS implementation and a PCLinuxOS implementation.

I find the others to be quite different than antiX, designed for a broad selection of software at the expense of resources used and little attention paid to lean efficiency. They’re good too but there’s no comparison to antiX for avoiding things like systemd or meta packages that bring along extra things not specifically intended to be included by the person adding a few packages.

I am a proponent of choices and they do provide a distinct character that stands out compared to the many other distributions and commercial options that are also available.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Eduardo Lucas

I suppose any of us may have issues like these in any system. I actually broke myself AntiX installs in fact in the past. Completely by my fault, usually from doing simple things such as using shell scripts to install window managers or other esoteric packages which expected other kinds of initialization/daemon/service configurations which didn`t expect non-systemd replacements, even if they were based on debian. I actually have similar concerns to not break anything again even when my “linux/unix” knowledge is now far above what i had in the past when using my current non-linux system and similarly do the same when installing antix on my laptop for other purposes. I think we are all prone to mistakes.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Eduardo Lucas.
                      stevesr0

Hi all,

I have libelogind0 and elogind on hold. On my antiX22–>23, today’s full-upgrade was ZERO.

When I checked with aptitude, the “newer” systemd versions are there; I guess they are not considered as upgradable, because of the holds.

So, another self protective thing is to hold basic systemd packages, such as elogind or libelogind0.

At least for folks who don’t need or want systemd running on their machines (some antiXers certainly do for various reasons).

Brian Masinick

Good one, @stevesr0 –

sudo apt-mark hold libelogind0 elogind
                          libelogind0 set on hold.
                          elogind set on hold.

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto#Introduction_to_Holding_Packages
                            has an article about this topic; since 2012 the apt-mark hold solves what
                            was once a problem with properly holding back specific packages or package groups.

--
                            Brian Masinick

j0ta

Installing Lutris via Software Installer will also install regular .deb instead of nosystemd ones

libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-0
                              libwebkit2gtk-4.1-0
                              gir1.2-webkit2-4.1-0
                              gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.1-0

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by j0ta.
                              • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by j0ta.

​🇱​​🇮​​🇧​​🇷​​🇪​​🇧​​🇴​​🇴​​🇹​ ​🇺​​🇸​​🇪​​🇷​
                              ​🇦​​🇳​​🇹​​🇮​​🇽​ ​ 🇺​​🇸​​🇪​​🇷​
                              ​🇱​​🇮​​🇧​​🇷​​🇪​​🇼​​🇴​​🇱​​🇫​ ​🇺​​🇸​​🇪​​🇷​
                              ​🇳​​🇴​​🇸​​🇾​​🇸​​🇹​​🇪​​🇲​​🇩​ ​🇺​​🇸​​🇪​​🇷​

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.