Just time to say hello

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Just time to say hello

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Apr 5-10:00 pm by grindstone.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    grindstone

Hi everyone – mostly just posting to post so the account doesn’t get cleaned in case such things happen.

Just a geezer pretty new to AntiX, mostly (dabbled once ~v17). Still reading the forum. And reading. The stickies are great–thanks. Saved unofficial v23 FAQ. Thanks to all for the work to create/maintain AntiX.

Of course I have questions but it will take time to even find the right threads to put them in. I am mostly here because of Mr. Andrews’ DSL campaign as it rekindled interest in resurrecting old machines. Impressed that 23.1 runit 386 full does pretty darned good on resources as it is, BTW.

It’s all a load, trying to figure out what’s MX, what’s Debian, what’s only AntiX, and what’s different in DSL. Not sure I’ll ever know (or need to), but this seems to be the place to start/spend the most time. Thanks again to all.

PPC

Hi, grindstone – I don’t think unused accounts “get cleaned” but it was nice hearing from you!

The unofficial FAQ’s preamble points so some threads that try to explain what Linux and antiX are.

About your questions (I’ll have to explain a bit about Linux in general):
        – Linux – it’s the name of a Kernel, created by Linus, that tried to reproduce some features of Unix. It joined forces with the GNU tools created by Stallman. The “real name” of the OS is “GNU Linux”, because of that, but usually most folks just call it Linux. Being extremely modular, every “Linux” based OS basically selects, from all that are available, a series of “lego bricks” to take care of networking, managing pointing devices, the screen, audio, manage the screen, render windows, etc. There are hundreds of Linux based OSes, called “distros” (short for distribution).
        – One of the oldest distros is Debian (created by a guy called Ian, that was dating a gal called Deb). Many of the most used distros in the world are Debian based (Ubuntu and all it’s official variants/flavours, Linux Mint, Zorin, PopOS, etc), but there’s also Arch, Red Hat, etc. Those “families” of distros usually package programs using different incompatible ways with each other – by default a Debian app does not run in Arch or Red Hat, etc.
        – antiX is a Debian based Linux distro primed to use the less resources possible while still providing a desktop that is easy to use.
        – MX Linux, started its life an antiX based distro, but soon evolved to its own distro, while still sharing some roots (i.e. software) with antiX.
        – The current version of DSL is based in antiX (so it’s really based in Debian and in antiX)- it’s antiX, with just a single window manager (instead of 3 floating window managers), and different configurations and software choices (to try to make it even lighter than antiX, and without a lot of packages).

P.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by PPC.
        • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by PPC.
        grindstone

Thank you PPC, that was a completely generous and welcoming post. I can absolutely see how my post was read that way and I should apologize for not providing better background. I’ve been 100% Linux user (started w/ Slack) since ’98 (and was Unix at work from 80’s before that) and used to know basics when life allowed computers to be a hobby. Now I’m just an old dumbed-down computer-as-tool user (Xubuntu) for about the last ~12 years. I have no idea about frugal this or persistent that, and what I seem to remember no longer applies, etc 🙂 AntiX is cool, the forum is great and I thank you sincerely for the grand welcome and wonderful post! Reading and learning…a lot of new stuff for me. Runit is new, never used rfkill in my life until now…or isohybrid…or ceni or connman. New is fun, but it’s new. Thanks again and I’ll be back with questions when I know where to ask them.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by grindstone.
          Brian Masinick

@grindstone The reason you are not familiar with things like frugal and persistent states is that these are concepts that have been developed over the past ten to fifteen years.

Xubuntu, though different than antiX in terms of “lean efficiency” versus convenience, both are reasonably to install and use. Frugal and Persistent are NOT Xubuntu features; Puppy, antiX and a few distributions that can run from USB Flash Drives offer these features; they are similar but not identical in how they are implemented.

If all you intend to do is read Email and browse the Web, either Xubuntu or antiX can do the job; Xubuntu, though very easy to get and set up, is overkill for that kind of limited use.

If your usage is really simple, MX Linux and Xubuntu are very close; my personal bias there would be MX Linux, but either one could work.

Like you, I don’t do nearly as much as I once did; though I still check out other distributions from time to time, for both of us, antiX 23.1 Full runit is the simplest and most up to date. It can be run straight from a USB Flash Drive OR it can be installed and used with occasional updates.

If you want simple, but you also want to experiment around, I recommend installing the antiX 23.1 Full runit image. Use that for routine activities.

If you want to mess around a bit, try using the USB Flash Drive image live and create a persistent state – that means you create enough physical space on your disk drive to save information about changes you want to apply to the Live image; the USB Flash Drive contents DO NOT change; to see stuff you want to change, that is why you create the space on the physical drive. Once you do that, this “space” that you carve out can be configured in various ways; “Frugal” is the most space efficient and it saves the least information and is faster to set up and use BUT you cannot save as many changes. Full persistence takes quite a bit of room, but you can create a Live system that’s almost as complete as a full installation, but it can be run live from the same physical system.

The Flash Drive can also be inserted into other systems. Any persistence you created on your first system doesn’t automatically come along for the ride, but there are ways to do THAT too. You can REMASTER your image, then use the Live USB Maker to write it to a drive, USUALLY a different Flash Drive, UNLESS you simply want to replace the contents of your previous Flash Drive configuration.

There are other combinations of doing this, between the different methods of persistence, Frugal, Full Persist, etc. and the remastering. All said and done, there are probably a few dozen combinations possible between the various images we create for each release and the different methods to use those different images. You have a choice, you can decide on one and just use it or you can experiment with as many variations as you desire.

Personally I have THREE physical installations of antiX on my HP-14 – antiX 23.1 Full runit, antiX 23.1 Full “init-diversity” and antiX 23 runit. On top of that, I have several Flash Drives; some are the images for each of these, others are REMASTERED, use as is and install on additional systems instances, and more. I have them; I’d say I use these various images at a moderate level.

A few weeks ago though THREE of those REMASTERED images came in EXTREMELY convenient. Sometimes I choose to reorganize my systems, so it’s nice to have images available; other times I mess up or change my mind. Recently I MESSED UP! I had been using ANOTHER system, a Lenovo X201 laptop and I had installed one of those recent remastered images there. Then I put that system away and came back to my HP-14. But I must have been tired or in a daze, because I was still thinking I had the Lenovo in front of me, despite the fact that they don’t look the same I tried to install the image I had installed before, THEN I realized that I overwrote my multi-distro setup on my HP-14 with one distribution! That would be OK but I have plenty of room, so I reimaged the system again, installing the FIRST distro and resized the partitions, then put them in place!

It wasn’t difficult, but any very recent changes had to be done again; that’s why I occasionally REMASTER various images to keep the remaster images reasonable as backup configurations.

So that’s my story; if you are a one distribution person, just occasionally remaster your system and this can serve as the backup for your system; that’s the way I recommend doing it whether you have one or ten distributions; there are other ways to backup and restore; I personally like the remastering method; it’s super easy and it can be used to install on multiple machines and double as a backup IF you remaster occasionally when you have changed a lot of stuff.

--
            Brian Masinick

grindstone

Wow — most-generous of you as well. Thank you for taking the time to bang all that in–that was really helpful. My primary interest was honestly trying to understand AntiX basics to know DSL basics, but I admit it’s growing on me fast because it screams 🙂 There’s just a lot to learn, here and I’m still drinking from the firehose. Thanks again to everyone for making AntiX happen at all! Back to reading docs for me…

Forum Admin
              rokytnji

Howdy and Welcome from the Motorcycle shop.

Use antiX for work.
                Just got through with a solar light hookup so I can work outside in the dark.
                We are a good bunch here.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

Wow — most-generous of you as well. Thank you for taking the time to bang all that in–that was really helpful. My primary interest was honestly trying to understand AntiX basics to know DSL basics, but I admit it’s growing on me fast because it screams 🙂 There’s just a lot to learn, here and I’m still drinking from the firehose. Thanks again to everyone for making AntiX happen at all! Back to reading docs for me…

Even among the “old timers”, it’s taken quite a while to establish our favorite configurations, and then when we’ve added new software, sometimes we change the way we do our regular stuff. Lots of choices, and you’re free to use as few or as many of them as you wish (and change at any time).

There are a few things that we remind people to do IF they want support and to keep their antiX working the way we designed it, but those things are flexible too for those who can support themselves. We have plenty of guides in our pages and forums, and we’re also willing to suggest things to you too. Have a good time!

--
                  Brian Masinick

grindstone

Thanks again — and I am having fun, even if lost for a while. I see what you mean–the flexibility in configurations is just plain DEEP and the depth is all around, here, in pages and pages (and tuxfamily and gitlab (holy Build-iso script!) and on and on).

Now I just burned more time skimming your blog (wow–you were pals with maddog? That just makes you A-ok, man 🙂 Time to get going on growing a big old greybeard!)

Indeed a good bunch, here. Thank you all!

Brian Masinick

Yeah, I first met Jon “maddog” Hall in the second building in Merrimack, NH – MKO2 near the coffee and popcorn makers.
                      The early meeting was WAY BACK in 1985. We had no integrated UNIX systems then; our “UNIX” efforts were disjointed
                      and mostly BSD-based. Jon and I talked about including BOTH System V AND Berkeley Standard UNIX traits and libraries;
                      that actually happened in the late eighties to early nineties; we had ULTRIX and were able to brand newer versions
                      as “Digital UNIX”. Other UNIX vendors beat us to the 64-bit world but we had a good story – all 32-bit AND 64-bit
                      programs would run in our 64-bit version, and in fact we rebuilt a LOT of programs to be true 64-bit, so we renamed
                      our version of UNIX as Tru64 UNIX; that was the main (and LAST) version of UNIX that I worked on.

By then, both Jon and I became interested in Linux. I departed Digital in early 1998, but I managed to hand pick
                      the people I wanted, made my own “going away” event at a Seafood and brew location, and of course Jon was invited.
                      I had intended to buy several people drinks; insteaad Jon opened his pocket (not sure if he “expensed” that one or
                      not, but we remained friends; we’ve written to one another a couple of times, and when I occasionally find a column
                      he’s written or a magazine he’s featured in, I pick up a copy.

By the way, in an earlier job, Jon had worked as a university instuctor; I’m sure he has advanced credentials;
                      he is both fun and articulate, as well as opinionated; we get along quite well!

--
                      Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

Hello grindstone.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

Please learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum by reading the threads I linked in my real welcome. Please note that there are 3 editions of antiX from series 19, 21 or 22 and 23 that have technical support in this forum. Each edition has 4 ISO images (full, base, net and core) on two different boot system types, SyVinit and Runit. If my sum is not wrong, at the present date there are about 32 different types of operating systems. That’s why you need to learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum.

Have you already read this text The Most Extensive Live-usb on the Planet!?

marcelocripe
                        (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, grindstone.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Por favor, aprenda a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX lendo os tópicos que eu indiquei na minha verdadeira boas-vindas. Saiba que existem 3 edições do antiX, das séries 19, 21 ou 22 e 23 que possuem suporte técnico neste fórum. Cada edição possui 4 imagens ISOs (full, base, net e core) em dois tipos de sistema de inicialização diferentes, o SyVinit e o Runit. Se a minha soma não estiver errada, na presente data são cerca de 32 tipos diferentes de sistema operacionais. É por isso que você precisa aprender a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX.

Você já leu este texto The Most Extensive Live-usb on the Planet!?

marcelocripe
                        (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

grindstone

Thank you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.