JWM based distro to a "free home"

Forum Forums General Other Distros JWM based distro to a "free home"

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jun 23-6:05 pm by HJ.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    manyroadsmanyroads

If you are interested in examining what looks to be a ‘forgotten’ jwm distro, check this out, I think it is beautiful and I’ll be trying to use aspects of it on antiX19 (the prototype I’me developing).

https://kibojoe.github.io/index.html
    https://forum.manjaro.org/t/kibojoe-no-longer-maintained/81555/5

Download with software to ‘use’.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/kibojoe/files/18.02/

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    MX-19 kernel: 5.2.21-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- bspwm, hlwm, xfce4

What would you say are the pros and cons of JWM that would make me want to use it instead of IceWM?

I have seen good looking JWM, ie SlakoPup 5.7.0 for example, but every time I have tried to configure a JWM desktop myself, it came out looking “cheap” for lack of better words. I haven’t looked at the antiX JWM desktop lately, since IceWM now seems to be actively being improved, and the antiX IceWM desktop is something I’m familiar with, I’m quite happy there currently. When 19 comes out, I will have a system already tweaked the way I like it, I’m hoping.

I liked lots of things about Manjaro, but didn’t like the systemd services where I had no control over what was running, the resulting slowness on lower hp machines, and that there were so many packages that had to come from AUR instead of pacman. I guess by using antiX as a base you would be eliminating those.

There are a few screenshots on the summary page. I like that they have the Keyboard shortcuts listed, but sad to see it took a 2nd conky to put it up there, maybe it would be good to put it up by default but have a key to turn it off/on

https://sourceforge.net/projects/kibojoe/

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
    manyroadsmanyroads

Many of your points @BobC involve personal preferences. I certainly can’t offer a useful response about better or worse. I can say it is different, internally. I guess I’d say it might be easier to fix jwm to your likings than some of the other wms. I can say that people here, in antiX, are all over the maps around which is better, best, whatever. I think that’s good. I tried making each of the wms look & feel “the same” to see what my thoughts on the matter were/are. Here’s what I come up with:

— jwm- is the hardest to find tweaks & improvements for; it seem to be supported by a tiny community.
    — iceWM- seems to be actively developed and also offers a pretty meager set of tweaks, to borrow from out in the wild
    — fluxbox- appears to be the most popular of the bunch; I have no idea why. It has ugly icon handling & forces the most the non-standard tweaking (from my perspective).
    — the missing wm, Openbox (OB)- is, to my mind, the most popular (world-wide) robust and easily tweaked of all wms (but it is no longer in development). OB is my personal favorite by a long shot.

There is my useless, opinionated list on wms. 😉

As for manjaro is used it for years and admire it immensely. I especially am fond of their development team. I moved away because of the non-systemd approach/ empahsis by the developers here in MX/antiX land. I, also, love the tools most notably the easy snapshot tools (which I’m having fits with on antiX19, right now.)

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Yes, to me, its all about being comfortable. Having the computer HELP ME accomplish the things I need to do well, with a minimum of effort and nonsense is a priority. If it can help me learn things I wasn’t able to learn before it’s even better. I have tried many, many desktups, and have decided that I like a hybrid, that allows a degree of tiling when desired, but lots of flexibility otherwise, and I do use both WinArrange and WinGrid actively to do so. I want everything available from the keyboard on sensible keys, but want the mouse to work just as well, anytime it would be easier for me to use it instead.

The Microslut world is just miserable for me. Let me choose what I want to do, how I want to do it, and get out of my way. Oh, and can I have that for a song, please?

Thanks for your perspectives on the different light WM’s. I wasn’t aware OpenBox was no longer maintained, but even though its not designed to run from a “Start Button”, I was able to tweak it to work the way I liked. OpenBox wasn’t pretty on AntiX, but that was more a function of my lack of “style” than anything else. Fluxbox just felt wierd to me, not to say that its bad, but with IceWM being comfortable there wasn’t much point. I have built IceWM desktops for about a half dozen other distros, including Manjaro, and so its the one I am best at tweaking. Its defaults for style are pretty much what I like, so its easy.

AntiX is the best out of the box for IceWM, but for me there are “personal preferences” as you would call them, that need to be tweaked, like the scroll bars and such, where maybe I just want it to work consistently to the Microslut products I suffer with all day long at work. I see others looking for similar things. Like why can’t Connman’s icon look something like WiFi on my phone or MS pc? Visually, they are looking for something familiar. They don’t know where to click to get connected. Why not just make it easy and give them familiar things as much as possible out of the box, and maybe make the creative stuff an option? Just thinking aloud. I’m getting kind of offtopic there, but I think that concept is important if you want someting new to be easily accepted and thrive.

manyroadsmanyroads

Here are couple of shots of my antiX19-openbox setup (current). I have piles of wallpapers… so that’s very changeable.

btw. I find OB very easy to adjust and manipulate on antiX.

Pax vobiscum,

Yes, congrats, yours looks dramatically better than my attempt in 2014.

Did you build it in as another “Desktop option” like I did or as a separate ISO, or something else? Trying to build it in as a desktop option was quite complex for a neophyte at Linux scripting, because antiX doesn’t use things like tint, for example, so that meant it had to be used for openbox, but not for the other desktops.

Again, I appreciate you adding the organized keyboard shortcuts lists. Life is so much nicer when you know what keys you need to hit.

JWM with 300+ MB RAM vs. fine tuned KDE Plasma based DE with 200 MB RAM. 😉

manyroadsmanyroads

@BobC I currently have it built as a distinct respin. I have done the same with xfce.
    I lost the link to the old antiX posting on how-to build wms ‘into antiX proper’. If you have it I’d appreciate the link.

I am also entertaining the notion of trying to use lightDM rather than Slim and allowing LightDM to manage the access to various Desktops. It does that ‘automagically’. The problem or challenge is with not breaking the antiX toolset.

Pax vobiscum,

I will look around, if I recall it was a thread on the forum, and Dave was helping me, and I made tar files. I still have them, somewhere, but need to look for them. If nothing else it might provide a hit list of obvious places needing to be changed.

But before you actually spend the effort to do that, maybe a better way is via the control panel’s “Package Installer” off the system tab you could have them do a normal Antix install, and then use the package installer (or menu option that runs it) to load in the OpenBox system, and then select either OpenBox or one of the others at the login screen at boot. Its not as seamless, but would avoid some of the the integration issues where the supporting components need to be different. There are 2 XFCE packages there. Is one yours?

Anyway, I’d be happy if you are able to save any effort by looking at or using anything from what I created.

PS: Here is the thread. I can find at least the last of the tar files if you want it and can’t get it here.

https://antixlinux.com/forum-archive/search-and-request-for-openbox-t5411.html

PPS: I looked at how the packageinstaller works, and there are .pm files for each package listed in /usr/share/packageinstaller-pkglist. Perhaps looking at the ones for XFCE and LXDE will be useful. I think that same program exists over on MX as well. I noticed there was a postinstall section, and perhaps you could bring in your custom configs there with a wget, git or something of that nature. Then it would be easy to reimplement it again for a different version or even distro. I guess the other good option *IS* to use AntiX’s live USB creation ability to create a completely separate ISO. So many reasonable options. We are like kids in a candy store! Just trying to help…

PPPS: Adding the last version of the tar file if the website will allow

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC. Reason: added old thread link

I noticed on your antiX-OpenBox screens above you have a keyboard shortcuts area. Do you have a way to turn that on/off separate from the main conky so it could be used for a separate keyboard shortcuts help window that could be configured/toggled on or off?

It looks quite nice really, but don’t be mad if I stay with my IceWM. I would be willing to help do some testing if you need help.

On the subject of “personal preferences” if I could have anything I wanted, it would be a system setup with a complete theme, that was interchangeable and easily switched to another theme if the user had different preferences. Linux via GTK2 and 3 themes, and IceWM with its many themes have for the most part achieved this for those willing to dig into how to configure them, thankfully, although maybe not as easily as wished for.

fluxbox- appears to be the most popular of the bunch; I have no idea why.
    It has ugly icon handling & forces the most the non-standard tweaking (from my perspective).

“non-standard tweaking” ~= wildly configurable

I remember when Puppy Linux used fvwm95 as default. I actually liked it. Wasnt super thrilled when they dropped it, but it was getting very long in the tooth and unsupported at the time they did drop it. Too much work to keep it patched. JWM combined with ROX (ROX was what sold me on Puppy) was fine or at least I got used to it quickly and any desktop that lets me have shortcut icons is fine, dont need super slick and stylish. What annoyed me were the desktops that didnt have icons/shortcuts. I guess they were supposed to look cleaner and uncluttered. But lot less convenient. I’ll take function over form anytime. What I dont like is useless bloat that slows whole system down, just to support eye candy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.