KDE Neon

Forum Forums General Other Distros KDE Neon

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Sep 13-2:43 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

I decided to replace one of my test distributions that I don’t regularly use with KDE Neon.

Years ago I used KDE a lot and I enjoyed using it, but I really haven’t needed a lot of the capability. I tried the Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE) not long ago and it still worked well so I tried the recent return of MX Linux to the KDE so commonly used in Simply MEPIS of past generations and it also works well so I thought I’d try KDE Neon and evaluate it once again.

It has worked well in

It sucks up 745 MB using only a konsole and htop but I do have 8 GB available so memory is not a critical resource.

Initial impression is good…

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

MX KDE Linux uses around 645 MB when starting up with htop monitor in a terminal.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

MX KDE Linux uses around 645 MB when starting up with htop monitor in a terminal.

Out of curiosity I have tried MX 19.2 KDE and I am also getting just above 600M initial memory use with Htop. This seems not too bad for KDE, considering XFCE version appeared to have been using just above 500M initial.
    I have done just initial rudimentary testing and my initial observation is:
    – With FF started memory used jumps to just above 1G. First shutting down FF recovers memory to below 700M – pretty good recovery.
    – Starting FM (Dolphin) and shutting down then Clementine and shutting down, now just Htop – memory use appears to be stuck above 1G.
    – FF again – memory just above 1.5G – consistent with your observation, shutting down FF – recovers memory use to just above 1.2G
    – Going forward with Htop alone memory use seems stuck permanently above 1.2G
    – Curious about File Manager impact – started and closed a few times. Each time memory use increased some
    – Memory use appears to stabilize at just over 1.4G. Subsequent starts and closing of Dolphin appear to recover memory now.
    – Now memory use with just Htop stuck at just over 1.4G

This looks to me that there seems memory leak reflected both in Htop and Conky, although some may look like caching apps, not sure…
    In antiX it appeared to me memory leak seems minimal in comparison…

So what I am curious is:
    With fully configured antiX/IceWM what is there in this KDE implementation that would be worth while, aside from support for WebDAV and SMB discovery built in Dolphin, which is an asset to me in itself?
    Thanks and Regards…

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by olsztyn.
    seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

So what I am curious is:
    With fully configured antiX/IceWM what is there in this KDE implementation that would be worth while, aside from support for WebDAV and SMB discovery built in Dolphin, which is an asset to me in itself?
    Thanks and Regards…

KDE is not going to suit everyone. There is a lot of stuff that many of us may never use. But some people just find it more comfortable to use than IceWM or Fluxbox, or even XFCE. And the eye candy is important to some.

It’s just another choice. And there are a lot of people who appreciate the option to use KDE instead of XFCE or IceWM. I think I share your preferences but not everyone does.

But I would suggest that MX-KDE is best when you have 4GB of RAM or more, which a lot of people do.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Regarding memory use, the memory manager may not be clearing or resetting reusable immediately if sufficient memory is available. Rather than dismiss this as a memory leak it may be a task and memory scheduler matter, that is, if no immediate shortage of memory, don’t use many cycles for releasing memory.

I’m speculating but that’s a reasonable kernel scheduling method.

Regarding KDE it’s definitely a full-featured desktop environment. It’s not a mandatory choice but for those with the capacity it’s a very good desktop environment.

Xfce is more nimble with fewer object oriented features.

IceWM is significantly lighter than either of them but it’s a window manager and not a desktop environment.

Brian Masinick

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

But I would suggest that MX-KDE is best when you have 4GB of RAM or more, which a lot of people do.

Understood. The machine I am testing it does have 4G memory. So after applying updates showing in Package manager, which permanently raised the used memory to above 3G for the sake of testing I have started FF with several tabs and then Dolphin. This raised memory used above 3.5G and the entire system became unresponsive. Frozen solid.

I’m speculating but that’s a reasonable kernel scheduling method.

Understood. However from my rudimentary test looks like memory leak is real and abundant with KDE implementation…
    Thanks seaken64 and masinick…
    Regards…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.