kernel updates

Forum Forums News Announcements kernel updates

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Apr 12-8:00 pm by greyowl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

There have been various security patches applied upstream so users are strongly advised to update to the latest kernels via Package Installer, synaptic or cli-aptiX.

5.10.27 (antiX-19, bullseye, testing and sid)
    4.19.184 (antiX-19, bullseye, testing and sid)
    4.9.264 (antiX-19, bullseye, testing and sid)
    4.4.264 (antiX-19, bullseye, testing and sid)

kernel-updates2

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

KooKoo

Thanks anticapitalista
    5.10.27-antiX-19

Installed on 9.2.1 & 21a2 all is fine..

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

4.9.264 updated on Dell Latitude D610 and D620 laptops–working well.
    Thanks for the updates and all the work that went into them.

Dell Latitude D610 laptop with antiX 19.3 (32 bit)
    Dell Latitude D620 laptop with antiX 19.3 (64 bit)

oopsoops

Thank you again.
    All is OK:
    amd64: 5.10.27 &
    eepc x32: 4.19.184 & 4.9.264

The antiX mirror
    deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/buster buster main nonfree nosystemd
    is obviously broken, no complete package lists are delivered, download hangs for some minutes before it stops incomplete.
    the kernel updates from above are not present until 06.04.2021, 13:42 MEZ also, what means this are about 24 hours delay, which would not be the worst, but the package lists are delivered damaged (or partly old, partly new), causing incomplete installations.
    The status on antixlinux.com/mirmon-packages claims the mirror to be completely green, renewed, updated 5 hours ago, and OK

I had to switch away from this server on antix 17.4.1 already, since it had turned out to be way too unreliable most of the time. Now the same with antiX 19.3. No idea what they are doing at rwth-aachen…

Switched now to another mirror from the list (Frankfurt), and apt update was performed completely and fast as expected, new kernels present. Will give them a try and report as soon as possible.

Hi everyone,

many thanks to anticapitalista for the info regarding the kernel-updates and Robin for the hint to change from the default repo to a different mirror. As described by Robin my default repo at the “RWTH Aachen” didn’t work for me neither.

After I used the “Repo Manager” to switch to the mirror run by the “TU Chemnitz” (Technical University Chemnitz / Germany) the update of the packages including the new kernel-versions and the installation of the new kernel “Linux antix-laptop 4.9.264-antix.1-486-smp” on my old Notebook worked just fine.

For the final switch of the kernel from version “4.9.261-antix.1-486-smp” to version “4.9.264-antix.1-486-smp” this time it was not enough to only log out of the session and log in again as usual. I had to restart the whole operating system. But after that was done, everything works just fine now.

As I said: Many thanks and keep going the good work.

Best wishes, NNO

———————————————————————————————————-

“So I don’t throw away that old computer yet!”:
    Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V 3515, Intel Celeron M 440 (32 bit), 1,25 GB RAM, antiX 19.3-sys-v-init (32 bit) now with kernel 4.9.264-antix.1-486-smp 😎

4.4.264-antix.1-486-smp (32 bits) seems to be OK for a Toshiba Satellite 2450, Pentium 4 laptop. Many thanks.

Short report, as promised:
    Kernel: 4.19.184-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 (32bit)

This is the very fastest and most stable kernel version I have ever seen on my machine. It works that rock stable now, I was able to have about 120 (!) tabs opened in firefox simultaneously (since working on some different projects at the same time, switching from one to the other on the fly). Moreover running geany, some roxterm terminal windows, thunderbird and claws mail email clients running parallel, writing on a lengthy text in Libreoffice Writer, casually hexchat, leafpad for fast notes, mirage and MTPaint, making screenshots using antiX standard screenshot tool, converting files using imagemagic in terminal window, and finally playing along music with Xmms, moreover connected wireless to WLAN. All this at the same time running, everything always responsive, without any delay, no interruption in sound or any artefacts on screen while moving, opening minimising or closing windows. All this while CPU load stays at 20 to 50% maximum during this stress test, with some short peaks to 100%. Never seen something like this to that extent on this single core 1,7 GHz notebook with 2 GB RAM only before… Its an antiX 19.3 persistent Live from USB system, most recently apt-upgraded. Even suspend-to-ram and wake-up works flawlessly out of the box now.
    Have to add one possibly important difference to antiX default full ISO as delivered: Due to need of nvidia 304 legacy drivers I had to downgrade xorg-core to version 19 only. Moreover I had to do some finetuning to some programs, which otherwise would eat up complete cpu at once if settings left to default.

Thank you very much, anticapitalista! Great work.

$ inxi -zfrSG
    System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.19.184-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 bits: 32 Desktop: IceWM 2.3.1 
               Distro: antiX-19.3_386-full Manolis Glezos 15 October 2020 
    CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Intel Pentium M bits: 32 type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
               Speed: 1333 MHz min/max: 800/1733 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 1333 
               Flags: acpi apic bts clflush cmov cpuid cx8 de dts est fpu fxsr mca mce mmx msr mtrr nx pae pbe pge pse 
               pti sep ss sse sse2 tm tm2 tsc vme 
    Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA NV43M [GeForce Go 6600] driver: nvidia v: 304.137 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: nvidia FAILED: fbdev,nouveau,vesa unloaded: modesetting 
               resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: GeForce Go 6600/PCIe/SSE2 v: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.137 
    Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
               1: deb https://mirror.eu.oneandone.net/linux/distributions/mx/packages/antix/buster buster main nonfree nosystemd
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/buster-backports.list 
               1: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main contrib non-free
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
               1: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
               1: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
               2: deb http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
               No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list 
               No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 

Short report, as promised:
    Kernel: 4.19.184-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 (32bit)

This is the very fastest and most stable kernel version I have ever seen on my machine. It works that rock stable now, I was able to have about 120 (!) tabs opened in firefox simultaneously (since working on some different projects at the same time, switching from one to the other on the fly). Moreover running geany, some roxterm terminal windows, thunderbird and claws mail email clients running parallel, writing on a lengthy text in Libreoffice Writer, casually hexchat, leafpad for fast notes, mirage and MTPaint, making screenshots using antiX standard screenshot tool, converting files using imagemagic in terminal window, and finally playing along music with Xmms, moreover connected wireless to WLAN. All this at the same time running, everything always responsive, without any delay, no interruption in sound or any artefacts on screen while moving, opening minimising or closing windows. All this while CPU load stays at 20 to 50% maximum during this stress test, with some short peaks to 100%. Never seen something like this to that extent on this single core 1,7 GHz notebook with 2 GB RAM only before… Its an antiX 19.3 persistent Live from USB system, most recently apt-upgraded. Even suspend-to-ram and wake-up works flawlessly out of the box now.
    Have to add one possibly important difference to antiX default full ISO as delivered: Due to need of nvidia 304 legacy drivers I had to downgrade xorg-core to version 19 only. Moreover I had to do some finetuning to some programs, which otherwise would eat up complete cpu at once if settings left to default.

Thank you very much, anticapitalista! Great work.

@Robin

I read with interest your experience with kernel 4.19.184.
    It has got me wondering if I would find a performance improvement if I used 4.19.184.
    I have a Dell Latitude D620 (64 bit) and a Dell Latitude D610 (32 bit).
    Up to now, I have been using the 4.9 kernal, and I just udated to 4.9.264.
    What do you think?

Below is the system info on the D620:

$ inxi -zfrSG
    System:
    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.264-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: IceWM 2.3.1
    Distro: antiX-19.3_x64-full Manolis Glezos 15 October 2020
    CPU:
    Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 T7200 bits: 64 type: MCP
    L2 cache: 4096 KiB
    Speed: 1667 MHz min/max: 1000/2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1667 2: 1333
    Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc
    cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est fpu fxsr ht kaiser lahf_lm lm mca
    mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nopl nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge pni pse pse36
    rep_good sep ss sse sse2 ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc vme vmx xtpr
    Graphics:
    Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics
    driver: i915 v: kernel
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1440×900~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM v: 1.4 Mesa 18.3.6
    Repos:
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
    1: deb http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/buster buster main nonfree nosystemd
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/buster-backports.list
    1: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main contrib non-free
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
    1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
    1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
    2: deb http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/megasync.list
    1: deb https://mega.nz/linux/MEGAsync/Debian_10.0/ ./
    No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list
    No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list
    user@antix1:~
    $

Hello @greyowl,
    I only can speak for 32 bit version on legacy nvidia graphics and a single core cpu with 2GB DDR RAM. On my system (specs see above) the differences were that striking, I wouldn’t have ever believed. For comparison: With kernel 4.19.180 I was only able to have approx. max 30 to 35 firefox tabs open simultaneously, before system started to get some problems with memory balance, observable in endless waiting for next new tab to be filled with content, if it came up at all (but always continuing to work normally after closing the additional tab again). Under heavy system load WIFI connection stopped completely for some seconds, but reestablishing immediately again afterwards always. Moreover I was was used to see system periodically freeze for some seconds (not completely, but only input system, keyboard and mouse buttons (not cursor movement itself) and movement of windows as well as buttons and menues from window frames, and delayed redraw of some window content), but always resuming to normal operation after short time, so I reckoned this to be some bottleneck thing of USB.

But with 4.19.184 kernel I did never see anything of the described happen again, so I was curious what would happen if I now start using extensively many programs and windows simultaneously. And I can add to what I said in my posting above, even to open a pdf file with about 1500 pages hires image content didn’t impress the system anymore in any way, it opened within seconds, which I was not able to open at all on any kernel before.

This is the background of my report. I don’t know whether any benchmark would show a difference, but the usability in everyday usage has improved to an unbelievable extent. Don’t forget, this is a 20 years old single core 32 bit notebook only.

I’m sorry I have to tell you I can’t say anything about whether you would see something similar on your 64bit core2 duo system, I can’t even guess whether it would speed up your 32 bit system, since it has a different graphic and probably a different amount and type of RAM installed.
    If you would have asked about a rim2000 notebook with 2GB RAM, identical to mine, I would have clearly stated “yes, this is the best thing you could ever do”

But why don’t you give it simply a try using an antiX live USB stick with persistency for testing the new kernel? The live kernel updater and remastering tools from antiX menu (same as from Control Center) will do all the work for you…

• This reply was modified 2 days, 23 hours ago by Robin.
    Forum Admin

Just to point out that the latest kernel versions include important upstream security updates so all users are strongly advised to upgrade (regardless of any performance improvements).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

@Robin
    Thanks for the added explanation.
    Just wondering if I actually install kernal 4.19.184 on either of my laptops, will it do any harm?
    If it didn’t work well, would I just be able to uninstall it and again do no harm to the system and go back to 4.9.264?

Forum Admin

@greyowl – it won’t do any harm.
    The grub menu will default to booting the latest version installed.
    If you want to remove it (4.19), make sure you boot into the 4.9 kernel first.

@anticapitalista

Thanks

capreacaprea

The antiX mirror
    deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/buster buster main nonfree nosystemd
    is obviously broken

Must confirm regretfully. As soon as I switched to another mirror, new updates appear immediately. Tried this several times now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.