Keyboard not working

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Keyboard not working

• This topic has 44 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Apr 2-6:14 pm by Skrnet.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    leoven

Thanks. I added the number 3 right after $0, and then pressed CTRL X as it requires.

It does not boot to the full ANTI X program. It hangs. It shows the screen with the 7 dots with the words “udev done” underneath the dots, with (Alt F1 lower left and Alt F10 lower right).

I downloaded from 2 other sites and got rid of the last version as well.

What’s puzzling is everything else in the program works, just the keyboard.

Since my other computer is running ubuntu I just used Startup Disk Maker to make the ISO onto the USB and the program works except the keyboard.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by leoven.
      leoven

FWIW, I loaded up MX Linux as a test since AntiX and MX and somehow commingled I think, the keyboard does work in MX.

Thanks

antraY59

Hi leoven,
          at first i have to mention: you should give detailed information.
          Which version of antiX?
          What hardware?
          Exact timeline when the problem appeares.
          How can you run it on your chromebook when its quiet unusable?
          You said:”I am runing it on my chromebook with a USB”
          Do you mean a USB-Stick or a usb-keyboard?
          Do you run “live” or “installed”?
          Which startup menu do you mean?

In my opinion a startup menu appears after install to choose whether boot “linux” or “xxxx”.

So if your keyboard works for you there and you got a usb-keyboard (or usb-dongle) then, after your system booted,
          plug out and replug in the plug or the dongle.
          That has worked for me.

Forget Windows, use Linux!

leoven

I think most the answers are already in previous posts.
            I am not inclined to buy hardware to test a linux system when it is the only one out of 12 distros that the keyboard doesn’t work.
            (To be clear I am not disparaging anti-x at all – as mentioned in my original post it is very efficient and impressive).
            For whatever reason it is not picking up a keyboard driver or setting – the fact is hangs after adding ‘3’ to the boot option means there is a problem.
            I’ll have to chalk this up to a system issue but will keep trying to find a solution.
            Thanks to those who have posted possible solutions.

Forum Admin
            rokytnji

Well you mention your chromebook keyboard is picked up using other distros.

I have been installing this. Maybe it will help you identify your keyboard

I grabbed a .deb from here.

https://github.com/hardinfo2/hardinfo2/releases/tag/release-2.0.14pre

Since you say MX picks it up. Install the .deb during live session and maybe post back a screenshot like I did.
              What I use to post images here.
              https://postimages.org/

I Installed 64bit Full Iso antix 23.1 test runit on my chromebook and got lucky I guess.
              You can just post the link to the image if not wanting to insert the screenshot here also on that site.
              That way you can take a lot of shots and just post links to them.

Kinda hard when a user sets limitations on solving a problem here also.
              Good Luck.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

caprea

leoven, I think I read the whole thread, still can not see which version of antiX you have on the live usb.
                Did you already try to use another kernel?
                On the bootscreen go to the “advanced options” and then kernel options.
                Assuming you have antiX23.1 full (runit or sysvinit) installed on the usb, there are two kernels available to boot from.

If I were in your shoes, I would follow Robin’s advice, beginning from the start, creating a usb stick with a shasum tested iso,best on antiX live session.

Forum Admin
                rokytnji

Shucks. Just went into house and installed hardinfo2 on my chromebook.
                  Says nothing at all about make of keyboard

harry@chromebook:~
                  $ pinxi -zv7
                  System:
                    Kernel: 6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                      v: 12.2.0 clocksource: tsc
                    Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0
                      Distro: antiX-23.1-runit_x64-full Arditi del Popolo 26 January 2024
                      base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                  Machine:
                    Type: Laptop System: GOOGLE product: Candy v: 1.0
                      serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 9 serial: <superuser required>
                    Mobo: GOOGLE model: Candy v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
                      UEFI: coreboot v: MrChromebox-4.18.1 date: 10/27/2022
                  Battery:
                    ID-1: BAT0 charge: 36.3 Wh (89.4%) condition: 40.6/44.5 Wh (91.3%)
                      volts: 12.3 min: 11.4 model: Samsung DELL XK type: Li-ion serial: <filter>
                  Memory:
                    System RAM: total: 4 GiB available: 3.75 GiB used: 1.22 GiB (32.6%)
                    Message: For most reliable report, use superuser + dmidecode.
                    Array-1: capacity: 4 GiB slots: 2 modules: 2 EC: None
                      max-module-size: 2 GiB note: est.
                    Device-1: Channel-0-DIMM-0 type: DDR3 detail: N/A size: 2 GiB
                      speed: 1333 MT/s volts: N/A width (bits): data: 64 total: 64
                      manufacturer: Hynix/Hyundai part-no: HMT425S6AFR6A-PB serial: N/A
                    Device-2: Channel-1-DIMM-0 type: DDR3 detail: N/A size: 2 GiB
                      speed: 1333 MT/s volts: N/A width (bits): data: 64 total: 64
                      manufacturer: Hynix/Hyundai part-no: HMT425S6AFR6A-PB serial: N/A
                  CPU:
                    Info: dual core model: Intel Celeron N2840 bits: 64 type: MCP
                      smt: <unsupported> arch: Silvermont rev: 8 cache: L1: 112 KiB L2: 1024 KiB
                    Speed (MHz): avg: 1066 high: 1067 min/max: 500/2582 cores: 1: 1067 2: 1066
                      bogomips: 8666
                    Flags: 3dnowprefetch acpi aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon bts clflush
                      cmov constant_tsc cpuid cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts epb ept erms
                      est flexpriority fpu fxsr ht ibpb ibrs ida lahf_lm lm mca mce md_clear
                      mmx monitor movbe msr mtrr nonstop_tsc nopl nx pae pat pbe pclmulqdq pdcm
                      pebs pge pni popcnt pse pse36 pti rdrand rdtscp rep_good sep smep ss sse
                      sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 stibp syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc tsc_adjust
                      tsc_deadline_timer tsc_known_freq tsc_reliable vme vmx vnmi vpid
                      xtopology xtpr
                  Graphics:
                    Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
                      driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-7 ports: active: eDP-1 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1
                      bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0f31 class-ID: 0300
                    Device-2: Suyin Integrated_Webcam_HD driver: uvcvideo type: USB rev: 2.0
                      speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 1-3:3 chip-ID: 064e:c236 class-ID: 0e02
                    Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                      unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
                    Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1366x768 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 361x203mm (14.21x7.99")
                      s-diag: 414mm (16.31")
                    Monitor-1: eDP-1 model: AU Optronics 0x235c res: 1366x768 hz: 60 dpi: 136
                      size: 256x144mm (10.08x5.67") diag: 294mm (11.6") modes: 1366x768
                    API: EGL v: 1.5 hw: drv: intel crocus platforms: device: 0 drv: crocus
                      device: 1 drv: swrast gbm: drv: crocus surfaceless: drv: crocus x11:
                      drv: crocus inactive: wayland
                    API: OpenGL v: 4.2 vendor: intel mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4 es-v: 3.0
                      direct-render: yes renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics (BYT)
                      device-ID: 8086:0f31
                  Audio:
                    Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio
                      driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:0f04
                      class-ID: 0403
                    API: ALSA v: k6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp status: kernel-api with: apulse
                      type: pulse-emulator
                    Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.3 status: active with: 1: pipewire-pulse
                      status: active 2: wireplumber status: active 3: pipewire-alsa type: plugin
                      4: pw-jack type: plugin
                  Network:
                    Device-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel pcie:
                      speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:08b1 class-ID: 0280
                    IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                    IP v4: <filter> scope: global broadcast: <filter>
                    IP v6: <filter> scope: link
                    WAN IP: <filter>
                  Bluetooth:
                    Device-1: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB
                      rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 1-4:5 chip-ID: 8087:07dc
                      class-ID: e001
                    Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: up address: <filter> bt-v: 4.0
                      lmp-v: 6 sub-v: e00 hci-v: 6 rev: e00 class-ID: 6c010c
                  Logical:
                  RAID:
                  Drives:
                    Local Storage: total: 72.63 GiB used: 27.7 GiB (38.1%)
                    ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 vendor: SanDisk model: SD64G size: 57.95 GiB tech: SSD
                      serial: <filter> scheme: MBR
                    ID-2: /dev/mmcblk1 vendor: Hynix model: HAG2e size: 14.68 GiB tech: SSD
                      serial: <filter> fw-rev: 0x7 scheme: GPT
                  Partition:
                    ID-1: / size: 12.56 GiB used: 5.33 GiB (42.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk1p4
                      label: rootantiX23.1 uuid: 79bb9810-2cfd-4fbd-b89a-5ebbb7d90a31
                    ID-2: /boot/efi size: 598.8 MiB used: 288 KiB (0.0%) fs: vfat
                      dev: /dev/mmcblk1p2 label: EFI-SYSTEM uuid: 9528-51EE
                    ID-3: /home size: 56.74 GiB used: 22.37 GiB (39.4%) fs: ext4
                      dev: /dev/mmcblk0p1 label: N/A uuid: e4dc9da1-50f6-4052-a587-ebf5fddaf0c4
                    ID-4: /media/EFI-SYSTEM size: 252 MiB used: 1 KiB (0.0%) fs: vfat
                      dev: /dev/mmcblk1p1 label: EFI-SYSTEM uuid: 1EA0-224A
                  Swap:
                    ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 1001 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2
                      dev: /dev/mmcblk1p3 label: swap uuid: 4b8cb26c-a024-4248-a7a0-84a2681b0d9f
                  Unmounted:
                    ID-1: /dev/mmcblk1boot0 size: 4 MiB fs: <superuser required> label: N/A
                      uuid: N/A
                    ID-2: /dev/mmcblk1boot1 size: 4 MiB fs: <superuser required> label: N/A
                      uuid: N/A
                  USB:
                    Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 6 rev: 2.0
                      speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
                    Hub-2: 1-2:2 info: Genesys Logic Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
                      lanes: 1 power: 100mA chip-ID: 05e3:0610 class-ID: 0900
                    Device-1: 1-2.3:4 info: Microchip Composite HID + CDC APP-ESS14-1
                      type: HID,abstract (modem),CDC-data driver: cdc_acm,hid-generic,usbhid
                      interfaces: 3 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s lanes: 1 power: 500mA
                      chip-ID: 04d8:0b28 class-ID: 0a00 serial: <filter>
                    Device-2: 1-3:3 info: Suyin Integrated_Webcam_HD type: video
                      driver: uvcvideo interfaces: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1
                      power: 500mA chip-ID: 064e:c236 class-ID: 0e02
                    Device-3: 1-4:5 info: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface type: bluetooth
                      driver: btusb interfaces: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s lanes: 1 power: 100mA
                      chip-ID: 8087:07dc class-ID: e001
                    Hub-3: 2-0:1 info: super-speed hub ports: 1 rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s
                      lanes: 1 chip-ID: 1d6b:0003 class-ID: 0900
                  Sensors:
                    System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A
                    Fan Speeds (rpm): N/A
                  Info:
                    Processes: 140 Power: uptime: 13m states: freeze,mem,disk suspend: deep
                      wakeups: 0 hibernate: platform Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2
                    Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1732 Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15
                      running-in: roxterm pinxi: 3.3.33-5
                  $ 

Hope you have better luck.

$ xinput
                  ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
                  ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                  ⎜   ↳ Elan Touchpad                           	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                  ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
                      ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                      ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                      ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                      ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                      ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                      ↳ Integrated_Webcam_HD: Integrate         	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                      ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                  $  setxkbmap -query
                  rules:      evdev
                  model:      pc105
                  layout:     us
                  options:    grp:lalt_lshift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp_led:scroll

In the above output,
                  rules represent current XKB rules
                  model indicates the keyboard model
                  layout represents the current keyboard layout

leoven2

Thanks

(Forum Moderator – your system blacklisted me for no reason).

I did mention in the first post I installed AntiX, I just assumed it would be interpreted as the latest version since I mentioned it was installed unless otherwise noted.
                    It is the latest – Installed 64bit Full Iso antix 23.1.

I will have to go back and try to change the kernel and run the deb. Although I do remember running the output like Harry did and similarly could not find the keyboard data.
                    But I will run it again and look for the identifiers you posted.

I Installed 64bit Full Iso antix 23.1 test runit on my chromebook and got lucky I guess.

Yes, I believe this might be a hit and miss with Chromebooks.
                    As for changing the kernel, I’ll have to try that.

I find it odd MX Linux works out of the box for the Chromebook.

PPC

Without giving the usual recommendations to try to install the same kernel MX Linux uses, etc: if antiX does not really detect your keyboard, probably the next best thing would be trying MXFB (the Fluxbox version of MX Linux) – it’s very, very close to antiX (when used with a Flubox “desktop”), and you can very easily trim it to use even less resources (just disable what you don’t need, like desktop icons, the “dock”, the automatic updater, etc).

EDIT: just I case you already said sometheting about that but I missed it: did you try running antiX Live with the modern Kernel? By default, when running antiX Live is uses the older 5.1 Kernel (not the more modern 6.1 Kernel, that’s also included in the .iso, and that antiX defaults to, once installed).

P.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by PPC.
                      abc-nix

I may have missed something in the topic, but did you try using the
                        load=all
                        boot parameter on the live USB? Instead of the “3” boot cheat code, the load=all will try to load all relevant kernel modules on the live USB, and maybe the keyboard module will also load before booting into the graphical environment.

Without a keyboard it is difficult to get any dmesg output, so it is difficult to troubleshoot this problem.

Brian Masinick

Without giving the usual recommendations to try to install the same kernel MX Linux uses, etc: if antiX does not really detect your keyboard, probably the next best thing would be trying MXFB (the Fluxbox version of MX Linux) – it’s very, very close to antiX (when used with a Flubox “desktop”), and you can very easily trim it to use even less resources (just disable what you don’t need, like desktop icons, the “dock”, the automatic updater, etc).

EDIT: just I case you already said sometheting about that but I missed it: did you try running antiX Live with the modern Kernel? By default, when running antiX Live is uses the older 5.1 Kernel (not the more modern 6.1 Kernel, that’s also included in the .iso, and that antiX defaults to, once installed).

P.

I know that MX Linux has three alternatives that they offer: 1) Xfce desktop environment, 2) KDE Plasma desktop environment, and 3) Fluxbox window manager environment. One thing about 3) is that you get a bit more than JUST Fluxbox. A fourth, unwritten, but still possible alternative is to use synaptic or apt to install icewm on MX – yes, that works, and it’ll be slightly heavier than our antiX setup, but if you’re struggling with our distribution, that may help.

--
                          Brian Masinick

leoven2

Thanks for the ideas.
                            I didn’t know MX and Anti X were that intertwined.

probably the next best thing would be trying MXFB (the Fluxbox version of MX Linux)

and 3) Fluxbox window manager environment. One thing about 3) is that you get a bit more than JUST Fluxbox.

I installed MX XCFE and it worked fine. Funny thing, before reading your replies and still experimenting, I was intrigued by MX Fluxbox since it mentions very lightweight, so I installed that as well – works fine out of the box. And yes, wow, lower resources as well.

So I think in terms on not messing with too much, and considering MX Fluxbox and Anti X are so close, I will use the MX Fluxbox, which essentially means using pseudo Anti X it sounds like.

I will try to change the kernel and use ‘the load all’ and report back in the next few days, just in case someone else has the same issue down the road.

I said the anti-x was impressive, the responses from you all and help are impressive as well. Thank you for you input.

Brian Masinick

Thanks for the ideas.
                              I didn’t know MX and Anti X were that intertwined.

probably the next best thing would be trying MXFB (the Fluxbox version of MX Linux)

and 3) Fluxbox window manager environment. One thing about 3) is that you get a bit more than JUST Fluxbox.

I installed MX XCFE and it worked fine. Funny thing, before reading your replies and still experimenting, I was intrigued by MX Fluxbox since it mentions very lightweight, so I installed that as well – works fine out of the box. And yes, wow, lower resources as well.

So I think in terms on not messing with too much, and considering MX Fluxbox and Anti X are so close, I will use the MX Fluxbox, which essentially means using pseudo Anti X it sounds like.

I will try to change the kernel and use ‘the load all’ and report back in the next few days, just in case someone else has the same issue down the road.

I said the anti-x was impressive, the responses from you all and help are impressive as well. Thank you for you input.

No objections to your choice; the entire reason for using ANY Linux distribution is flexibility, usability and choice.

One minor item: we refer to our distribution as “antiX”, not Anti X or anti-x; no big deal, that’s just the way our founder chose to name our distribution.

--
                              Brian Masinick

leoven2

Hi
                                Update:
                                I tried the updated kernel to 6.1, no keyboard. Also changed the option to load-all, no keyboard unfortunately.

I’ll tinker with other things but I have to use a distro and since MX is closest will use that for now.

(re: antix wording: no problem. Funny thing is looking outside in, saying antics reminds one of amusing behaviour (antics) but saying anti-x sounds more opposed to something, which I assume was the intent with tag lines such as: antiX Linux – Proudly anti-fascist “antiX Magic” in an .

But what do I know, I can’t get my keyboard working :).

Thanks

Forum Admin
                                rokytnji

Member response just kidding around. Just curious as all get out.

But what do I know, I can’t get my keyboard working :).

Know more than me. I sure would like to see a link on what kind of chromebook you are dealing with.
                                  A laptop review site would suffice. That Dell Chromebook I posted with. Every long time member here knows about
                                  my trials and tribulations to get all hardware detected and working on a Dell II Chromebook. All my hardware specs
                                  for the world to see.

I own another one my wife bought me and I barely use it. I am pretty sure it is not EOL yet. But now you get me curious if we have the same model.
                                  Mine is HP Chromebook x360 14″ inch Touchscreen

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.