Known usb wifi adapters?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Known usb wifi adapters?

• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Apr 4-5:52 pm by grindstone.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    FM285X

Hi guys,
      Ive recently installed Antix and now been using it for a week or so.Im wondering if anyone has a list of working usb wifi adapters that are known to work on Antix.I have 4 usb adapters at the moment and only one has been seen by connman ui,nothing happens with the other 3 once plugged in.
      The one that works is a mediatek 5572, i tried a RTL 8811/8812 AC 1200 usb 3.0 also another mediatek 7601,150mbps and a tenda 650ac 200mbps on 2.4ghz & 433mbps on 5ghz,looking online it says it has a RTL8811CU chipset but connman didnt see it at all which i was actually hoping this one would work.Id used the ac1200 one on windows 7 and didnt get a very high mbps rate when i was testing it,the 5572 always got a higher DL & UL score.

Im wondering if anyone has a list of known wifi adapters that work on Antix that just plug in and connman ui see straight away without having download or installing anything?

Ive found some details here about installing the tenda 650ac on ubuntu,

The first step is to download the code
      mkdir -p ~/build
      cd ~/build
      git clone https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU.git

With some other instructions including using modeswitch.

Ill see what people say before i might buy a new one or follow these instructions ive found to try get the tenda 650ac working.

Ok thanks in advance for any info regarding my question.

fatmac

I use TP Link, they work for me, so got hold of 5…. 😉

TP LINK TL-WN822N

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
        Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

Robin

Im wondering if anyone has a list of known wifi adapters that work on Antix that just plug in and connman ui see straight away without having download or installing anything?…

It’s all about having working drivers, and not being at the mercy and good will of the manufacturer concerning e.g. proprietary firmware blob updates to follow linux kernel updates.

Best guess for antiX is one of the devices natively fully supported by linux, without any need of a firmware blob. See the listings.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers (make sure to select a device for which the entry in column “phy modes” matches your needs, and all the other feature columns read “yes”“)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_wireless_drivers (Entry in column “non-free firmware required” should read “no“)

…before i might buy a new one

If being in your shoes, I’d check the above list and select a device which is fully supported by free linux drivers without need of additional firmware blobs.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Xunzi_23

My favorite
            One of the few adapters left with external antenna

TP-Link tl-wn722N

Recommended by many users of Kali
            Deal4GO AR9271 802.11n 150Mbps Wireless USB WiFi Adapter Network WLAN Card for Kali Linux/Linux/Ubuntu/CD Linux/Windows 7/8/10/Centos
            byDeal4GO on amazon.com

Seems product quality has been an issue for some few users but overall a good choice.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Xunzi_23.
            • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Xunzi_23.
            techore

Using TL-WN725N for installs if the built-in wireless adapter is unsupported.

Forum Admin
              rokytnji

Been so long since I bought it. Been through summer and winter for years attached to my Dish Network Satellite dish that is my wifi spot for the motorcycle shop computer.

Device-2: Realtek RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter driver: r8712u
                    type: USB bus-ID: 2-5.2.4:6

Can’t remember the brand name and am not going to take things apart to check presently. I get excellent dist-upgrade speed with it.
                Don’t wanna mess with with a working antenna today.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

I use TP Link, they work for me, so got hold of 5…. 😉

TP LINK TL-WN822N

I’ve had a couple of these over the years too; the one I keep handy is a classic –
                  TP Link AC 600, also known as Archer T2U PLUS; it handles IEEE 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz
                  and IEEE 802.11a/n/ac 5 GHz and it plugs into a USB 2.0 interface; never had an
                  issue getting this one to work, though I rarely actually NEED it; most systems work
                  properly as is.

--
                  Brian Masinick

FM285X

Hi, Brian
                    Thanks for the reply, looked your device up and its 300mbps, 150mbps on each channel so its not much diffent than my mediatek 5572.
                    Im getting between 3-5 megabytes per second,not megabits, in speedtests but when actually downloading something its actually much slower.

Ok thanks!

PDP-8

Another option is to bypass drivers and use a small ethernet to-wireless dongle. I used one in years past made by Iogear model gwu637. Only 2.4g frequencies. Have to set it up first. May be useful for FreeBSD users. (cough). Wish I had kept it!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by PDP-8.
                      FM285X

Hi Brian, How do you turn the usb wifi adapter between 2.4ghz & 5ghz using Antix? Its done in the control panel in windows,not figured out how to do it using antix.

Ok thanks!

FM285X

Hi PDP-8, Looked one up from your listing, you need a router to plug it into though? I couldnt connect it to my ethernet port on the back of the computer and the use it to search for wireless networks,also it needs to be powerd via usb.

Unless i read it wrong on the company webpage?

Ok thanks!

FM285X

Hi rokitnji,
                            Looked at your dish in the picture, it looks like its pointing downwards? Is the dish being used to bounce the wifi signal to the wifi adapter? I like that idea if thats what your doing, how much better signal does that give you?

Your adapter isnt in the list someone else supplied of known working adapters,the RTL8191SU isnt on the list and i looked them up,they are another 300mbps wireless n adapter,again simular to my mediatek 5572.

Ok thanks!

Forum Admin
                            rokytnji

No. It is angled slightly upwards. Shop is 2 story tall 20×40 foot long. Because of the Dish antenna. Conman shows 100% signal strength from in side of home routers from blocks away. I get more routers shown also. Best idea I ever had. Good thing I am not into penetration distros or tools used to do that.

Edit: Look at my pic better. You can see my usb stainless cable covered with nylon hose going through wall . It plugs into usb port in back of t3500. No signal bouncing.

Looks like I jinxed myself or it is just time.

Cuz right after I posted that. Wifi dropped while dist-upgrade was being done.

Looks like I might finally have replace it. Had such good longevity use and speeds in harsh outdoor conditions for years.
                              I would like to find the same brand. But who knows till I take it apart and look.

Just woke up and posting on antiX 23 runit laptop right now. Will be windy here till noon so I won’t start early on this .
                              Hopefully a nice day today .

$ pecos-w.bash
                              07:12:26 AM
                               Weather in Pecos: 48 °F 
                               UVI: 6.85 
                               Wind: 3.44 mph ESE 
                               Humidity: 49% 
                               Pressure: 29.97 inHg 
                               Sunrise: Apr 02 06:40:30 AM 
                               Sunset: Apr 02 07:13:51 PM 
                               Pecos forecast: Tue Apr 02: 68/48 °F ☁ 
                               Wed Apr 03: 80/52 °F ☀ 
                               Thu Apr 04: 85/59 °F ☀ 
                               Fri Apr 05: 88/61 °F ☁ 
                               Sat Apr 06: 72/60 °F ☀ 

Good luck with what ever you decide works best for you.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

Hi Brian, How do you turn the usb wifi adapter between 2.4ghz & 5ghz using Antix? Its done in the control panel in windows,not figured out how to do it using antix.

Ok thanks!

It has been a while since I’ve had to use it so I’d have to look it up to figure it out all over again.
                                Where I live I have ONLY WiFi service at our senior citizen complex; it has decent speed and it is provided
                                by Spectrum, a networking, television, and Internet service, so it can handle digital phone signals too.
                                As far as selecting a band, I simply connect to the service that I was given (including the authentication
                                provided for our unit; as for any kind of other selection with the TP/Archer Link or anything else, offhand
                                I do not know; best guess on how to determine that would be to do some lookups for 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi
                                antennas; IF I use this thing again some day, that’s probably what I’ll have to do, or just allow it
                                to select whatever is available; that’s probably the most common scenario.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

From a very vague recollection of how this USED to work when I had a condo and my own
                                  wireless router connected to a cable network service, selection between bands was a
                                  combination of whatever is available and what band that particular interface happened
                                  to have open; if your unit offers either band, I’d GUESS that it would select the
                                  fastest services first and default to whatever is left; to be honest, other than
                                  that speculation I’m not certain of the method or techique but I suspect it’s automatic.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.