Kodi on 32-bit Acer Inspire 1 ZG5

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Kodi on 32-bit Acer Inspire 1 ZG5

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 13-2:46 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    forestcomber

Hi, I just installed antix-21 on my Acer Inspire One. Thank-you for keeping my old laptop useful ! I installed Kodi from the default repository installed with Antix but it crashes on start. I recall it working on my “AcerAntix” previously. Does anyone know what is wrong ? Thank-you !

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by forestcomber.
      Forum Admin
      rokytnji

RUN IT FROM COMMAND LINE IN TERMINAL. OOps. Caps lock on. Not yelling.

or maybe dmesg in terminal

dmesg | kodi

or

grep Kodi .kodi/temp/kodi.log | head -3

I suspect hardware limitations are the cause and the cpu is probably hammering trying to open Kodi.
        I gave my zg5 to my father in law so I had one for a while.

On my touchscreen clam shell single core atom n270 netbooks.
        I live off of Streamlight for online video watching.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

forestcomber

Thank-you for your reply. I tried dmesg and got this reply :

$ dmesg | kodi
          failed to open zone.tab
          libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
          libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i915_drv_video.so
          libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
          Segmentation fault
          Crash report available at /home/garrison/kodi_crashlog-20220111_112556.log
          garrison@AcerAntix:~

The grep option returns this reply :

$ grep Kodi .kodi/temp/kodi.log | head -3
          2022-01-11 11:25:55.577 T:2390 INFO <general>: Starting Kodi from Debian (19.1 Debian package version: 2:19.1+dfsg2-2+deb11u1). Platform: Linux x86 32-bit
          2022-01-11 11:25:55.577 T:2390 INFO <general>: Using Release Kodi from Debian x32
          2022-01-11 11:25:55.577 T:2390 INFO <general>: Kodi from Debian compiled 2021-11-04 by GCC 10.2.1 for Linux x86 32-bit version 5.10.70 (330310)
          garrison@AcerAntix:~

Do you know what this means ?

PPC

Not a media center, like Kodi, but a nice media player that should run fine in even 32bits devices: try installing “xine”, available from the antiX repository- it plays full HD video (in “default” codecs) on my old 32bits laptop like a charm!

P.

Brian Masinick

I agree; I’ve used xine on 32-bit devices and it’s a stable app.

--
              Brian Masinick

seaken64

Hi forestcomber, welcome to antiX. What are you wanting to do with Kodi? The newest Kodi version 19 will be missing a lot of add-ons support. Also, Kodi keeps moving on and continues to support only newer hardware in general. If your hardware is older you will probably need help changing some configurations. I would try the Kodi forums, although they tend to be pretty apathetic about older hardware.

If you absolutely need Kodi you may consider going back to antiX-19 and Kodi version 18.x That’s what I did on my antiX HTPC, where I use Kodi for an ESPN add-on.

Seaken64

forestcomber

I would like to use it for the addons. Maybe I will downgrade to get this working. I guess I can also dig into the error messages to try and tweak stuff. Looks like it might have something to do with getting video hardware acceleration working for the older Intel display adapter ? I’m not not a programmer or a Linux guru so not sure about tackling that. Thank-you for yours and for everyone’s replies.

seaken64

I’ve often struggled to get Kodi to launch on old equipment. Sometimes a command line option worked. Once you figure out the correct command line options you can edit the launcher in the GUI. Kodi does have an editable config file. But most of it is over my head. I learned a few things by reading on the Kodi forum or reddit. But for me, staying at version 18.x, or 17.x in some cases, seems to work best. The problem with antiX-21 is that only the Kodi version 19.x is in the default repos. Version 18.x is in antiX-19, and also maybe 17.6?

Kodi version 19 does support add-ons. But if the add-ons you use were programmed in Python-2 they will not work. Version 18.x still works with Python-2. Version 19.x only supports Python-3.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by seaken64.
                    olsztyn

The newest Kodi version 19 will be missing a lot of add-ons support.

Kodi version 19 does support add-ons. But if the add-ons you use were programmed in Python-2 they will not work. Version 18.x still works with Python-2. Version 19.x only supports Python-3.

Thank you… Perfectly explained.
                      I have both versions, on two separate android tv boxes and I noticed the above as well. However the arising issue is on Kodi 18.X is that although Python-2 add-ons do work while they do not work on Kodi 19.3, the content providers for the older Python-2 add-ons are dropping and re-developed or new ones seem to be moving to support 19.3.
                      It is just my subjective observation, I have not done much side by side analysis…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

seaken64

@olsztyn, I think it is inevitable that most of the Python-2 stuff will no longer be supported. If a developer is going to keep an add-on going they will most likely move it to Python-3. We are right now in state where some things work in Kodi 18.x and other things work in 19.x. Some add-ons will be lost, depending on whether the developer decides to move to Python-3. I am using Kodi less and less these days. I now use Roku or Chromecast Google TV most of the time.

Seaken64

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.