Laptop booting extremely slow

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Laptop booting extremely slow

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Feb 10-7:09 am by wildstar84.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    danimal1968

Greetings…just installed AntiX on a 2009 Acer Aspire 1410 (3GB RAM, SSD). It booted up the Live USB and installed without any issues. Upon reboot and removal of the USB, I get to the AntiX launch screen, choose boot AntiX and…get a black screen for approximately 4 minutes with a cursor blinking at me in the upper left corner. After 4 minutes or so it seems to boot as normal.

If I go into advanced options and choose the older kernel, it boots right up.

Questions:

1. what’s causing this?
      2. would i be losing anything by just using the older kernel?
      3. If the answer to (1) is beyond me to deal with, and the answer to (2) is “nothing significant,” how do I make the older kernel the default?

Would try to post more information on my machine but I’m fighting it trying to get it to boot.

Additional note – system has had MXLinux Fluxbox installed on it and it boots normally. This is not my primary computer by any means so I’m just trying to get it into a workable state and get the best distro on it I can.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by danimal1968.
      PPC

Questions:

1. what’s causing this?
        3. If the answer to (1) is beyond me to deal with, and the answer to (2) is “nothing significant,” how do I make the older kernel the default?

I don’t have much time so, answers:
        1. Some problem that your hardware has with the modern kernel
        2. Yes. Usually newer kernels include drivers for newer hardware and also some bug fixes, etc. On a 2009 computer, you probably won’t be needing modern drivers, and usually older Kernels that are still maintained do have security updates.
        3- antiX, by default always boots to the last kernel you selected. If you selected the older kernel, it will always boot into that kernel unless you select a different one.

P.

danimal1968

Questions:

1. what’s causing this?

I don’t have much time so, answers:
          1. Some problem that your hardware has with the modern kernel
          2. Yes. Usually newer kernels include drivers for newer hardware and also some bug fixes, etc. On a 2009 computer, you probably won’t be needing modern drivers, and usually older Kernels that are still maintained do have security updates.
          3- antiX, by default always boots to the last kernel you selected. If you selected the older kernel, it will always boot into that kernel unless you select a different one.

P.

Thank you…that is very helpful

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

Welcome to antiX.

Just use the old kernel and remove the newer one.
            You might also want to remove various *-dkms packages as well.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

marcelocripe

Hello danimal1968.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

Please learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum by reading the threads I linked in my real welcome. Please note that there are 3 editions of antiX from series 19, 21 or 22 and 23 that have technical support in this forum. Each edition has 4 ISO images (full, base, net and core) on two different boot system types, SyVinit and Runit. If my sum is not wrong, at the present date there are about 32 different types of operating systems. That’s why you need to learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum.

You use the kernel that works for you. I need kernel 4.4.0-296 to keep several computers running here in Brazil.

Start antiX with the legacy kernel, run the Terminal emulator and type:

sudo apt purge linux-image-6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp linux-headers-6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp

marcelocripe
              (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, danimal1968.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Por favor, aprenda a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX lendo os tópicos que eu indiquei na minha verdadeira boas-vindas. Saiba que existem 3 edições do antiX, das séries 19, 21 ou 22 e 23 que possuem suporte técnico neste fórum. Cada edição possui 4 imagens ISOs (full, base, net e core) em dois tipos de sistema de inicialização diferentes, o SyVinit e o Runit. Se a minha soma não estiver errada, na presente data são cerca de 32 tipos diferentes de sistema operacionais. É por isso que você precisa aprender a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX.

Você utiliza o kernel que funciona para você. Eu preciso do kernel 4.4.0-296 para manter vários computadores funcionando aqui no Brasil.

Inicie o antiX com o kernel legado, execute o emulador de Terminal e digite:

sudo apt purge linux-image-6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp linux-headers-6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp

marcelocripe
              (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

wildstar84

You might take a look at the output from “sudo dmesg” from the bad (new) kernel (after it boots). It might contain some error msg(s) about drivers (possibly wifi) having issues. Each message in dmesg output will also contain a timestamp number representing how many seconds have elapsed since the beginning of the boot process. Perhaps you will notice your “long delay” in there and what was going on when the delay ocurred. If necessary, compare w/dmesg output from starting your good (older) kernel.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.