[SOLVED]: latest antiX version not able to detect my internal HDD

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions [SOLVED]: latest antiX version not able to detect my internal HDD

Tagged: 

• This topic has 45 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Apr 2-2:21 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Xunzi_23

@PPC please look at the post I linked, the internal partitions are shown as mounted under /media

That is not same as antiX 22 and may be causing some confusion at user side.

antixman2

That is not same as antiX 22 and may be causing some confusion at user side.

Well than I guarantee you that each of these information are highly stick with each title. I mean I have double check before I post each output.

BobC

Has the machine’s BIOS been updated to the newest available?

I also wonder about the hard drive’s configuration in BIOS and any jumpering.

Those might be easy to check.

The antiX 22 dmesg didn’t have the errors, so I think trying the 4.9 or 4.19 kernels make sense.

Brian Masinick

Those might be easy to check.

The antiX 22 dmesg didn’t have the errors, so I think trying the 4.9 or 4.19 kernels make sense.

I know that many of us prefer to use the latest and greatest software, but in this case, it seems like repeatedly attempting to use antiX 23 or antiX 23.1 is analogous to repeatedly banging our head against a brick wall.

I repeat, hopefully more clearly: JUST USE antiX 22!

Some of us software geeks so desperately want to make everything work – I say: “at what cost?”
            Do we need bruises and broken bones before we realize we are fighting against seemingly immovable objects?

Ten or twenty years ago I may have been determined to FIX this. Today I say, if one scenario works, use the scenario that works, period. If you guys want to beat this into the turf, go ahead; I’ve said my last unless we’re forced to shut down the topic.

--
            Brian Masinick

antixman2

Yeah, I have already did that in the past. the reversion A29 are the latest one.

My device supports three methods of SATA operations (ATA, RAPID, SATA) and I have once tried settings all these modes and all has result in the same behavior. Also I always use the SATA mode by default since I assume RAPID mode will pressure on the disk and ATA kinda old so yeah SATA are always my default.

I think I have already pointed that In my first post, however replacing the kernel inside iso file seems an very complicated job which is something I cannot do or confirm right now.

I would link you my thread at Lubuntu forums If you would allow me, I think the admin there has write some notes but I cannot understand them well since my English are not best here.

BobC

My Dell Precision M2400 works with antiX 23, but its very slow to get to grub. I haven’t tried the other settings for the drive. I don’t use that machine much.

I guess Brian’s solution is best, at least until you have the time and willingness to try a different kernel.

antixman2

My Dell Precision M2400 works with antiX 23, but its very slow to get to grub. I haven’t tried the other settings for the drive. I don’t use that machine much.

Ops, I meant SATA mode by ACHI mode and RAPID by IPRT (please excuse since I have some other devices here), my current device has SATA operation mode set to ACHI and I have never faced any issues with it.

I guess Brian’s solution is best, at least until you have the time and willingness to try a different kernel.

Ok, I have time but I would mind downloading an extra huge files since my plan are really limited.

BobC

You might be able to do it somewhere that has free public wifi, like a library.

What can I say? We tried. Given none of the other new debian based distro’s work, either, I don’t think its an antiX specific issue.

You could try a non-Debian based distro, maybe something based on slackware? But that’s a lot more downloading than a replacement kernel.

Robin

however replacing the kernel inside iso file seems an very complicated job

Not at all. There is a Live Kernel Updater in the antiX control centre, section Live.

The path to follow is:
                      – Boot from the fully featured USB Medium (created by MX/antiX Live USB maker) in live mode, best without any persistence.
                      – in a Roxterm window: sudo apt-get update
                      – sudo apt-get install ›linux-headers‹ ›linux-image‹ (see details below)
                      – Run the Live Remaster Tool from antiX control centre, section Live. Use personal if you want to have all your settings saved.
                      – Reboot, so the new linuxfs container with the additional kernel and header files installed is in use.
                      – Run the Live Kernel Updater Tool from antiX control centre, section Live.
                      – Reboot, so the new initrd file with the changed kernel is in use.

That’s it. All the magic is done by the scripts running in the background, you just have to follow the instructions given by the GUI.

Make sure the linux-header and linux-image version matches, they MUST be identically.
                      Make sure to select an appropriate version for your hardware, i.e. don’t use 64 bit kernels on a 32 bit machine which must fail (or vice versa, which would work but is not recommended) or 686 kernels on a CPU only knowing the 486 instruction set… And you probably don’t want to use realtime or cloud kernels.

You can filter the kernel listing e.g. by grep:

antiX kernels and headers (64 bit):

$ apt-cache search linux-headers | grep antix | grep -v 486 | grep -v 686
                      $ apt-cache search linux-image | grep antix | grep -v 486 | grep -v 686

Debian kernels and headers (64 bit):

$ apt-cache search linux-image | grep -v antix | grep -v cloud | grep -v rt | grep -v 686 | grep -v 386 | grep -v dbg

If you select e.g. linux-headers-4.9.0-326-antix.1-amd64-smp as your ›linux-headers‹, then you must use linux-image-4.9.0-326-antix.1-amd64-smp as the ›linux-image‹ in the above command, so they match.

You may also install more than a single additional kernel and integrate them into your boot medium linuxfs container by remastering it, then you can switch between them by using the kernel updater later another time.

Once you have found a kernel working for your hardware, you can remove (purge) the superfluous failing kernels and headers from your system again before doing another live remaster. This will free up the space.

And then, there is an automatic ISO snapshot tool in antiX control centre, section Maintenance, which allows you to create from your running system on current Live USB another ISO file, including all your modifications, in case you actually need an ISO file for some reason. Btw, this tool also has a button to select the kernel to be used by the new ISO in live mode from the currently installed kernels.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

antixman2

I tried to follow the steps but I couldn’t success I stuck at step number 6 (updating the kernel) but I won’t give-up I’ll retry the steps again.
                        Btw same behavior exists with porteux distro:

porteux-v1.1-gnome-42.10-stable-x86_64

PPC

The path to follow is:
                          – Boot from the fully featured USB Medium (created by MX/antiX Live USB maker) in live mode, best without any persistence.
                          – in a Roxterm window: sudo apt-get update
                          – sudo apt-get install ›linux-headers‹ ›linux-image‹ (see details below)
                          – Run the Live Remaster Tool from antiX control centre, section Live. Use personal if you want to have all your settings saved.
                          – Reboot, so the new linuxfs container with the additional kernel and header files installed is in use.
                          – Run the Live Kernel Updater Tool from antiX control centre, section Live.
                          – Reboot, so the new initrd file with the changed kernel is in use.

If I understand Robin correctly (EDIT: I never updated the kernel on a Live antix):
                          1– Boot from the fully featured USB Medium (created by MX/antiX Live USB maker) in live mode, best without any persistence.
                          2– in a Roxterm window: sudo apt-get update
                          3– sudo apt-get install ›linux-headers‹ ›linux-image‹ (see details below)
                          4– Run the Live Remaster Tool from antiX control centre, section Live. Use personal if you want to have all your settings saved.
                          4.5- Create a live USB pen drive/ optical disk with the newly created iso and use that one
                          5– Reboot, so the new linuxfs container with the additional kernel and header files installed is in use.
                          6– Run the Live Kernel Updater Tool from antiX control centre, section Live (see the video below)
                          6.5- Create a live USB pen drive/ optical disk with the newly created iso and use that one??? (is this step really needed?)
                          7– Reboot, so the new initrd file with the changed kernel is in use.

edit2: How-to run the Live Kernel Updater- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-pktzFFiSc

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by PPC.
                          antixman2

Yay, I did it !!!

Thanks you all guys, you are the best team!

Actually @Robin guide was good enough but I were remasrting the USB-live every-time I start the Kernel Updater-tool, that’s was a noob of me I should click on “No thanks I have already remasted” but finally I figure it out.

After I have rebooted the partitions were shown but I couldn’t view the contents I was getting this message:

udevil: denied 88: device /dev/sda3 is an internal device and you're not root

I just went into the “Disk Manager” and mounted the partitions from there, and finally I could browse my partitions normally with antix23.1

inxi output:

$ inxi -zv7
                            System:
                              Kernel: 4.9.0-326-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                                v: 12.2.0 clocksource: hpet Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0
                                Distro: antiX-23.1_x64-full Arditi del Popolo 21 February 2024 base: Debian
                                GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                            Machine:
                              Type: Portable System: Dell product: Precision M4400 v: N/A
                                serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 8 serial: <superuser required>
                              Mobo: Dell model: 0G328M serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Dell v: A29
                                date: 06/04/2013
                            Battery:
                              ID-1: BAT0 charge: 8.9 Wh (22.4%) condition: 39.8/57.7 Wh (68.9%)
                                volts: 11.2 min: 11.1 model: Sanyo DELL RG04997 type: Li-ion
                                serial: <filter> status: charging
                            Memory:
                              System RAM: total: 3 GiB available: 2.93 GiB used: 959.7 MiB (32.0%)
                              RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges
                                required.
                            CPU:
                              Info: single core model: Intel Core2 Extreme X9100 bits: 64 arch: Penryn
                                rev: 6 cache: L1: 64 KiB L2: 6 MiB
                              Speed (MHz): 1600 min/max: 1600/3067 core: 1: 1600 bogomips: 6118
                              Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc
                                cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est flexpriority fpu fxsr kaiser
                                lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nopl nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge
                                pni pse pse36 rep_good sep ss sse sse2 sse4_1 ssse3 syscall tm tm2
                                tpr_shadow tsc vme vmx vnmi xtpr
                            Graphics:
                              Device-1: NVIDIA G96GLM [Quadro FX 1700M] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau
                                v: kernel arch: Tesla ports: active: LVDS-1 empty: DP-1,DP-2,VGA-1
                                bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:065a class-ID: 0300 temp: 67.0 C
                              Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                                unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: nouveau gpu: nouveau display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
                              Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1200 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 508x317mm (20.00x12.48")
                                s-diag: 599mm (23.57")
                              Monitor-1: LVDS-1 model: LG Display 0x018f res: 1920x1200 hz: 60 dpi: 147
                                size: 331x207mm (13.03x8.15") diag: 390mm (15.4") modes: max: 1920x1200
                                min: 640x350
                              API: EGL v: 1.5 hw: drv: nvidia nouveau platforms: device: 0 egl: 1.4
                                drv: nouveau device: 1 drv: swrast gbm: egl: 1.4 drv: kms_swrast
                                surfaceless: egl: 1.4 drv: nouveau x11: egl: 1.4 drv: nouveau
                                inactive: wayland
                              API: OpenGL v: 3.3 vendor: nouveau mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4 es-v: 3.0
                                direct-render: yes renderer: NV96 device-ID: 10de:065a
                            Audio:
                              Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
                                bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:293e class-ID: 0403
                              API: ALSA v: k4.9.0-326-antix.1-amd64-smp status: kernel-api with: apulse
                                type: pulse-emulator
                              Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.3 status: active with: 1: pipewire-pulse
                                status: active 2: wireplumber status: active 3: pipewire-alsa type: plugin
                                4: pw-jack type: plugin
                            Network:
                              Device-1: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network vendor: Dell driver: e1000e
                                v: 3.2.6-k port: efe0 bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:10f5 class-ID: 0200
                              IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                              Device-2: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus-ID: 0c:00.0
                                chip-ID: 8086:4232 class-ID: 0280
                              IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                              IP v4: <filter> scope: global broadcast: <filter>
                              IP v6: <filter> scope: link
                              WAN IP: <filter>
                            Bluetooth:
                            Logical:
                            RAID:
                            Drives:
                              Local Storage: total: 163.66 GiB used: 4.17 GiB (2.5%)
                              ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HTS723216L9A362 size: 149.05 GiB
                                speed: 3.0 Gb/s tech: HDD rpm: 7200 serial: <filter> fw-rev: C39F
                                scheme: MBR
                              ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Blade size: 14.61 GiB
                                type: USB rev: 2.1 spd: 480 Mb/s tech: N/A serial: <filter> fw-rev: 1.00
                                scheme: MBR
                            Partition:
                              ID-1: /live/boot-dev size: 14.26 GiB used: 4.16 GiB (29.2%) fs: ext4
                                dev: /dev/sdb1 label: antiX-Live-usb
                                uuid: f060f53d-06f4-4d4f-ab24-ab2993ffa87b
                              ID-2: /media/ANTIX-UEFI size: 48.2 MiB used: 12.4 MiB (25.6%) fs: vfat
                                dev: /dev/sdb2 label: ANTIX-UEFI uuid: 64AB-9EA7
                            Swap:
                              Alert: No swap data was found.
                            Unmounted:
                              ID-1: /dev/sda1 size: 579 MiB fs: ntfs label: System Reserved
                                uuid: 8E9CA0D39CA0B75D
                              ID-2: /dev/sda2 size: 28.73 GiB fs: ntfs label: Windows7
                                uuid: 207ECCB07ECC7FD0
                              ID-3: /dev/sda3 size: 10.75 GiB fs: ntfs label: Windows10
                                uuid: A430D3E730D3BE8C
                              ID-4: /dev/sda4 size: 1 KiB fs: <superuser required> label: N/A uuid: N/A
                              ID-5: /dev/sda5 size: 19.96 GiB fs: ext4 label: N/A
                                uuid: 268268df-d3ce-4cf4-afe2-8e9f8b3b02b1
                              ID-6: /dev/sda6 size: 32.76 GiB fs: ntfs label: MyFiles
                                uuid: 01DA7011AAEA07B0
                              ID-7: /dev/sda7 size: 56.27 GiB fs: ntfs label: PRO uuid: 9898DF5C98DF3808
                            USB:
                              Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
                                chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
                              Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0
                                speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
                              Device-1: 2-2:2 info: SanDisk Cruzer Blade type: mass storage
                                driver: usb-storage interfaces: 1 rev: 2.1 speed: 480 Mb/s power: 224mA
                                chip-ID: 0781:5567 class-ID: 0806 serial: <filter>
                              Hub-3: 3-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                                chip-ID: 1d6b:0001 class-ID: 0900
                              Hub-4: 4-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                              Hub-5: 5-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                              Device-1: 5-1:2 info: Broadcom BCM5880 Secure Applications Processor with
                                fingerprint swipe sensor type: smart card driver: N/A interfaces: 2
                                rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 100mA chip-ID: 0a5c:5801 class-ID: 0b00
                                serial: <filter>
                              Hub-6: 6-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                              Hub-7: 7-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                              Hub-8: 8-0:1 info: full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                            Sensors:
                              System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0 C mobo: 57.5 C sodimm: SODIMM C gpu: nouveau
                                temp: 67.0 C
                              Fan Speeds (rpm): cpu: 0
                            Info:
                              Processes: 144 Uptime: 12m Init: SysVinit v: 3.06 runlevel: 2 default: 2
                              Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12 Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1753 Shell: Bash
                              v: 5.2.15 running-in: roxterm inxi: 3.3.31
                            demo@antix1:~

uname output:

Linux antix1 4.9.0-326-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 26 22:25:30 EEST 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux

What next now ? should I tell Lubuntu/Puppy guys how antiX awesome is :D.

Thanks you guys again for everything!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by antixman2. Reason: a minor typo fix
                            • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by antixman2. Reason: a minor typo fix
                            antixman2

I have now antiX 23.1 installed on my internal HDD, but every time I want boot with it I should go to advanced mode then select kernel 4.9 to boot.
                              How can I remove all kernels and make grub boot antix with kernel 4.9 by default ?
                              Another note is when I boot normally without going to advanced mode the device stuck and throws too many weird errors and finally end by force rebooting the device.

Forum Admin
                              rokytnji

dpkg --list | grep linux-image

To find the names of what you have installed. Use linux-headers on the end instead of linux-mage to list headers.

Then go into synaptic and remove what you have listed and don’t want.

When done.

sudo update-grub

Re-boot. Hopefully you did things right. Cuz there has been lot of work in this thread to get things right.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                                I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                                Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

antixman2

Re-boot. Hopefully you did things right. Cuz there has been lot of work in this thread to get things right.

I have followed your hints and I have used the search box in Synaptic, and I was able to remove the unused kernels without any kind of problems. Now my system boots normally without going to advanced mode from grub menu.

I think it’s time to mark this thread as solved or something.

Thanks you all again for your support!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.