Latest browsers available

Forum Forums News Announcements Latest browsers available

• This topic has 17 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 11-9:03 am by greyowl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Latest browsers available

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

My system is fully up to date, but Firefox is only upgraded to 74.
    Synaptic also only has Firefox 74.

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

XecureXecure

After a sudo apt update

$ sudo apt install firefox -s
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Recommended packages:
      adobe-flashplugin
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      firefox
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Inst firefox (76.0~mozillabinaries-1mx19+1 antiX repository:3.1/buster [amd64])
    Conf firefox (76.0~mozillabinaries-1mx19+1 antiX repository:3.1/buster [amd64])
    XecureXecure

On antiX 17

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libminizip1 libre2-3
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    Recommended packages:
      adobe-flashplugin
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      firefox
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 62 not upgraded.
    Inst firefox (76.0~mozillabinaries-1mx17+1 antiX repository:3.1/stretch [amd64])
    Conf firefox (76.0~mozillabinaries-1mx17+1 antiX repository:3.1/stretch [amd64])

Thanks for the information.

Here is what I get when I run the instructions:

user@antix1:~
    $ sudo apt update
    Hit:1 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
    Ign:2 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
    Hit:3 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
    Hit:4 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stretch Release
    Hit:5 http://mxlinux.csail.mit.edu/mxlinux/antix/stretch stretch InRelease
    Get:7 https://mega.nz/linux/MEGAsync/Debian_9.0 ./ InRelease [2,464 B]
    Fetched 2,464 B in 3s (775 B/s)
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    All packages are up to date.
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    firefox is already the newest version (74.0~mozillabinaries-1mx17+1).
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    fuseiso9660 libjsoncpp1 libmikmod2 libumlib0
    Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    $

Palemoon and SeaMonkey are the latest on my system.
    Is 76.0 the latest version of Firefox Quantum?
    68.8.0esr (32-bit) is the one installed on my system.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by andfree.

Hi andfree, FF76 is latest quantum version. You can very quickly find the Monthly release schedule at Mozilla site.

Some bugs fixed, some wonderful features which I switched off immediately. Insecure ciphers still enabled, more telemetry.

Opening new about:config.

chrome://global/content/config.xhtml

shows new settings setup. Plenty of info in the forum on making ff in to the product which fits mozillas claims.

All the bad parts are opt out so at first start Moz will get the info they want. Unless you turn off or disconnect Internet. Do your settings, install no script and user.js to take back control.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by ModdIt. Reason: spelling mistake
    XecureXecure

Hit:5 http://mxlinux.csail.mit.edu/mxlinux/antix/stretch stretch InRelease

For some reason, the mit mirror is not up to date. We can see here that it is OK and updated, but navigating the repo, we see that firefox is still vs 74:
    http://mxlinux.csail.mit.edu/mxlinux/antix/stretch/pool/main/f/firefox/

Use the antiX Repo Manager tool to change the antiX repo. For example, using the la.mxrepo.com , firefox newest version is 76
    http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch/pool/main/f/firefox/

FF76 is latest quantum version. You can very quickly find the Monthly release schedule at Mozilla site.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. But I don’t think I found such a thing at Mozilla site. Nevermind. Palemoon and SeaMonkey are enough for me. I just wanted to inform the community which version of Firefox Quantum appears to be installed, after having run “sudo apt-get update” & “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade”.

System:
      Host: dragon Kernel: 4.4.212-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
      Desktop: IceWM 1.6.5 Distro: antiX-19_386-full Marielle Franco 16 October 2019 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
    Forum Admin

@andfree – If you really want firefox 76, do as Xsecure says and change the default antiX repo.
    We have no control over the mirrors – the vast majority seem to be reliable, a few are not.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

I use the antiX Repo Manager tool to change the antiX repo. I choose the la.mxrepo.com and press “Apply”. This message appears:

Your new selection will take effect the next time sources are updated.

I restart the antiX Repo Manager tool and I see that the antiX repo has turned to the default one (“Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh”).

XecureXecure

I think we are all mixing things up.

In antiX, there are always 2 different firefox versions available from the repos:
    firefox – The normal, the newest firefox Quantum, anticapitalista has updated it to vs 76
    firefox-esr – The long time support (something like LTS) version of Mozilla Firefox, the one that comes installed by default in antiX.

You can have both installed at the same time, so no problem there. I prefer to stay in the esr version (less bugs and doesn’t update so often).

About antiX Repo Manager, it has been my experience that it always “displays” the last repo mirror (in this case, Vietnamese mirror), but that doesn’t mean it is the one selected.
    You can check what repo you are using by going to the “Individual sources” tab in the Repo Manager. Under antix.list you should be able to see what repo mirror is being used.

Hopefully this will also help @greyowl, who is interested in the latest version of firefox.

Forum Admin

Once you have set your new repo, you also need to do
    sudo apt update

before

sudo apt dist-upgrade

@ Xecure
    I change my repo manager to LA, California, as suggested and was able to get the new FF version 76 as well as the new youtube-dl which fixed MPS-YouTube problem that I have also been experiencing.
    I now have tunes!
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks for all the replies.

About antiX Repo Manager, it has been my experience that it always “displays” the last repo mirror (in this case, Vietnamese mirror), but that doesn’t mean it is the one selected.

I think I had this experience in the past, too.

You can check what repo you are using by going to the “Individual sources” tab in the Repo Manager. Under antix.list you should be able to see what repo mirror is being used.

Indeed, under antix.list I see the la.mxrepo.com. The problem is that I didn’t see which one mirror was used before I made the change!

In antiX, there are always 2 different firefox versions available from the repos:
    firefox – The normal, the newest firefox Quantum, anticapitalista has updated it to vs 76
    firefox-esr – The long time support (something like LTS) version of Mozilla Firefox, the one that comes installed by default in antiX.

I used the Package Installer and installed the latest firefox. It’s the 76.0 (32-bit) version, but it says “Firefox Browser” and not “Firefox Quantum” as the firefox-esr version does.
    It doesn’t seem to be too slow even for this old P4 laptop with the 1gb ram. I say it, because this was the main reason I turned to palemoon in the past.

You can have both installed at the same time, so no problem there. I prefer to stay in the esr version (less bugs and doesn’t update so often).

Actually, I have both of them installed now. Is the 68.8.0esr version the newest esr version?

We have no control over the mirrors – the vast majority seem to be reliable, a few are not.

Is the la.mxrepo.com a reliable one? Is it suggested to keep on with it now?

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.