Latest IceWM 1.8.1 available

Forum Forums News Announcements Latest IceWM 1.8.1 available

• This topic has 50 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Sep 16-10:24 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Icewm is in no way abandoned, it is not under heavy development as pretty much bug free.
    I consider it to be the best desktop I have ever used. Once users get used to it no complaints either.
    Speed and efficiency wins.

Thanks ModdIt. Glad to hear this… I agree that in general IceWM has been working very well, except minor glitches as occasional erratic auto-hide and the right mouse drag and click.
    I did not mean to revisit that thread and issue but also thank you for your trying to help in the referenced thread suggesting a few parameters on IceWM preferences, which as I reported did not help, unfortunately… As I stressed before it is not a significant issue for me, just an annoyance.
    So I do not mean to engage again help of friendly antiX team and waste more of your time

However I would like to make this closing statement:

In spite of denials I do not believe it is occurring just for me. I think most users have their mice steady and flat on their desk so mice are not typically moving by themselves during right click causing drag effect, so this behavior may not be commonly experienced. I experience this behavior more often as I am often using Thinkpads on my lap and track point stick in the middle of keyboard, causing slight movement during right click. In such case instead of menu IceWM displays the famous hand holding text document, which behavior someone attributed to using SpaceFM, but I have not seen any explanation from any of our antiX team what the meaning of that hand holding document is, which would shed some light on this phenomenon. There are IceWM preference parameters, which appear to handle ‘mouse drag time delay’ before being interpreted as drag instead of click. And rightfully so it is indeed a drag, before click. However playing with those parameters did not do much.
    Again, I believe that my experience is not unique to my settings or hardware and anyone among antiX team can reproduce one by dragging right clicked held mouse on empty desktop, which is expected to produce menu but under such circumstances instead of menu it produces that famous hand holding document on Space-IceWM.
    So even with mouse on desk if you click right mouse button, hold it and drag a bit across desktop before releasing right button, then instead of menu it produces a hand holding a document on Space-IceWM.
    So what is the meaning of this hand holding a document? Perhaps it can point me to resolution…
    Thanks and Regards…

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

It could be a Thinkpad issue. I can’t make it happen no matter how hard I try. All of my laptops are Dell’s.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I use Thinkpad laptops (mainly) and cannot see this issue either.
    Not denying the problem, I just can’t reproduce it.

Should we move the latest IceWM in dev to main?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you…
    So forget my issue, I can live with it. But can I have some clue what is the meaning of that hand holding document on Space-IceWM, when you hold right button and drag mouse across desktop? It is the same hand/doc as when you drag/move file in SpaceFM, except instead of small ‘+’ there is a small mouse pointer… On desktop such hand/doc is not showing on IceWM (without SpaceFM)… I understand that analogous to one in SpaceFM, which is file ‘drag’ it is meaning to drag something on desktop, but on empty space of desktop? To stress again, this is a general question on the meaning of such ‘drag file’ image and NOT continuing my issue… Just to help me understand…
    Thanks again and Regards.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by olsztyn.
    Forum Admin
    SamK
    Helpful
    Up

Unable to reproduce it here on Thinkpad.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

On space-fluxbox, space-jwm and space-icewm I can
    Thinkpad t440

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

On space-fluxbox and space-icewm I can
    Thinkpad t440

Thank YOU caprea!
    This is exactly what happens…

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Weird, T440, T420 with 2 different Logitech Mouse, unable to provoke the described behavour.

Might be some kind of on click action in spacefm has been (inadvertantly?) invoked.

@ anticapitalista, No issues encountered, as far as my experience goes ice is good for mainstream.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

On space-fluxbox, space-jwm and space-icewm I can
    Thinkpad t440

Just to add, as previously discussed in corresponding thread, SpaceFM was at that time considered as the source of the hand holding doc behavior, which happens both for Space-IceWM and Space-Fluxbox and resembles very closely the file drag one in SpaceFM.
    Whatever this weird ‘drag’ behavior on desktop is similar and I have not found why dragging mouse on empty desktop would actually drag anything, this weird behavior still remains to be explained but it is secondary importance. The primary bug raised in my original post and attributed to Space-IceWM was:

– On Space-Fluxbox: Although the ‘drag’ icon appears on dragging right mouse click (bug?), menu does appear (expected and correct result)
    – On Space-IceWM: Although the same drag icon appears on dragging right mouse click, the expected menu does not appear (incorrect result of right click)

As I said before: I consider this a bug in IceWM causing the menu to not pop up as expected, regardless what that hand/doc is supposed to mean.
    However, if nobody else complains and I believe there are more users affected than those complaining about such annoyance, then I can live with this. I do not have a choice, do I?
    Thanks and regards…

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hallo all,
    I have now reproduced the Issue Olstyn has described on a T420 with it occurring on Spacefm Ice, Spacefm fluxbox and Spacefm JWM.

Switching to pure desktops without Spacefm, no occurance.

So pretty sure Spacefm is where the issue is coming from. The symbol looks like it could be clipboard to me.
    Will have a dig in settings to see if a click action is defined for that as standard. Just a hunch.

Hallo Olstyn, actualy you do have a choice, just Ice 🙂 Anyway we now know where to look for a solution which is good.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Switching to pure desktops without Spacefm, no occurance.

So pretty sure Spacefm is where the issue is coming from. The symbol looks like it could be clipboard to me.

Just to stress, this is a secondary issue.
    The primary issue – menu not popping up – happens on IceWM (no Space) as well, taking SpaceFM out of the picture. Menu is expected after mouse drag, does not appear. On Fluxbox (no Space) works as expected.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

$ spacefm –desktop-pref

Opens up the settings,

Moving with the mouse is set to automatic, that is default it seems.
    please try other setttings as I think we are seeing a copy function. Sorry t420 is not available
    until later and I dont want to risk my desktop settings getting messed up on main box..

Addition: if you move the symbol over a document or e mail you can get a paste nothing in to document dialog, so copy or clipboard
    is being activated.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I also experience the same dragging when using SpaceFM as desktop handler. Hold right-click on the desktop, move the mouse, release the right-click, and no icewm menu pops up.
    I got use to it. I couldn’t get use to it on the tablet (touch is finicky), so ROX controls my desktop icons there (though fluxbox is my WM of choice there, and it is a different issue related to selecting icons, and the left click action is involved; if my finger wiggles while tuching a desktop icon, instead of launching it performs a dragging action).

Good thing antiX has Rox as an alternative desktop-icon handler.

As olsztyn says, it is not a deal breaker. I prefer launching the right-click menu with a key combination.

ile
    Helpful
    Up

Hello anticapitalista and everyone
    Qualifying self as not a icewm user, it is not until this twelfth day of discussion that I curiously looked into this thread; wondering what is of discussion for so long a time. Pardon the lateness, and ultimately off-topic, is the spacefm-desktop right-click copy interference glitch appearance here.
    The right-click problem is nothing to do with icewm. It is spacefm-desktop.
    Like a mouse gesture. once it is on the cursor it can change with keyboard key control and shift, showing paste, paste link icon changes. similar to the spacefm edit sub-menu entries. I cannot get it to actually paste anywhere. Playing with it long enough crashes spacefm-desktop; spacefm remains on / spacefm-desktop off.
    spacefm preferences for “Desktop” where there is a checkbox for right-click shows WM menu:changing this still allows the mouse gesture glitch to show the copy function instead of the spacefm-desktop right-click menu. Nothing to do with icewm. has been happening on spacefm-fluxbox here long time.

oops
    Helpful
    Up

… Should we move the latest IceWM in dev to main?

For me , yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.