Launching ratpoison

• This topic has 16 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jun 22-10:04 am by macondo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    macondo

Installed rp, changed the .xinitrc to read: exec ratpoison

I’m still getting icewm, what is my error?

thx

antiX Core 64 Bit Runit IceWM

"Sometimes a man finds his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

Anonymous

F1 at the login screen to select it?

Anonymous

forum search “startx” and read the previous posts by Dave, in reply to same/similar questions

macondo

Thank you,noclue, it does not appear on the list.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by macondo.

macondo

thank you skidoo, no dice!

Nothing Found

Sorry, but nothing matched your search terms. Please try again with some different keywords.
              Search for:

Anonymous

my recommended followup search term, after startx, would be xinitrc…

F1 at the login screen to select it?

…and, in that case, you’ll discover among the search results
                “on an antiX system, we must edit /etc/slim.conf and manually add the name of newly-installed desktop session
                so that it will be available among the available F1 choices offered from the SLiM login”

Xecure
                  Anonymous

macondo, immediately prior to replying, I checked. I used the forum search.
                    Suggested YOU search because the search results contained more than I could reasonably copy-paste here.

FYI, in my use, the forum search is only effective when I navigate to the homepage and use the right-side searchbox displayed there.

Anonymous

macondo, immediately prior to replying, I checked. I used the forum search.
                      Suggested YOU search because the search results contained more than I could reasonably copy-paste here.

FYI, in my use, the forum search is only effective when I navigate to the homepage and use the right-side searchbox displayed there.

ps:
                      Yes, the links provided by Xecure display the same sets of results that I reached when searching.

h t t p s : / / w w w . antixforum.com/forums/search/the_search_term/
                      So, thanks Xecure. I’ll try to remember that replies advising “use the forum search” should include a hyperlink

macondo

1. Thank you gents, went to slim.conf and put rp as the default.
                        It appeared on the F1 list, but never started, gave me an error, back to icewm.

2. Yesterday, I deleted/purge slim and rox-filer, conky says it is not installed, and chose “3” in the default run level at /etc/innitab, rebooted
                        nothing! re-installed slim, changed the run level back to 5 and rebooted, zip.
                        Did a quick reinstall and that’s how I am here.

3. Forgive me, am an old man, “lean and mean” to me, means no eye candy and superfluous stuff. Why slim? you still need a username and password to be entered, which can be done in startx, save space and headaches. That conky, I need it like another hole in my head, KISS it.

4.Net installation CD, is a mess! All you need is the regular installation CD (base or full) but without the apps just the base ones, the user installs xorg and whatever he wants, use .xinitrc and startx. antiX has one of the best installers hands down, quick. Grub does not fail like in other distros.
                        Being modern and flashy doesn’t necesarily means advanced. Just my opinion, no insult intended, last thing I want is to ruffle some feathers.

Anonymous

antiX is more a kitchen sink approach, not so much KISS, IMHO. It is also focused on the final release to work OOTB as is, not so much on extensibility (as other distros like Arch for example).
                          Maybe the issue is specific to ratpoison session. You can disable SLiM and use startx, just try some search for documentation.
                          Edit: A propos Arch: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ratpoison#Ratpoison_and_display_managers

To allow display managers to find ratpoison one may need to copy the ratpoison.desktop file from /etc/X11/sessions/ratpoison.desktop to /usr/share/xsessions/ratpoison.desktop. If the /usr/share/xsessions directory does not exist, create it as root.

Xecure

I am no expert with tiling window managers, as I have barely spend 10 minutes with one. Are there many differences between ratpoison and herbstluftwm that would make it impossible to transition to the later?
                            herbstluftwm comes with antiX 17.4, so you must have tested it already. If you find no way to get ratpoison to work, you could still manage with the herbstluftwm.

Hopefully you can find the error on the net and fix it. Alternatives I can’t give you.

Good luck.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                            General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Anonymous

Two man standing in front of a blank canvas.

„What does it represent?“

„Can’t you see?? It‘s a dog, eating a piece of meat, on the green meadow!“

„Ahmmm … and where‘s the meat?“

„The dog ate it!“

„OK … but, … where‘s the dog?“

„It ate the meat and left!“

„Well, fine … but, … where’s the meadow?“

„What for when there’s no dog and no meat any more?!“

What I wanna say … would it be somehow possible that …

The Rat got poisoned on Herbstluft?

At the end of the day, they‘re both tilling.

Anonymous

ratpoison?
                                strange but true
                                when I checked whether I’ve gathered any ratpoison tips in my browser bookmarks, I found two
                                http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1695
                                http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2934
                                and both were authored by a fella named Lou
                                aka macondo, which would be… YOU !

Each O/S has a different approach to handiling xinit and Xsession startup, eh?

went to slim.conf and put rp as the default.
                                It appeared on the F1 list, but never started, gave me an error
                                . . .
                                I deleted/purge slim and [..] chose “3” in the default run level at /etc/innitab, rebooted
                                nothing! re-installed slim, changed the run level back to 5 and rebooted, zip.

In another (possibly related) topic, anticapitalista pointed to a debian forum post:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=134425
                                Problem solved.
                                After installing xserver-xorg-legacy I needed to add the following line to /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config:
                                needs_root_rights=yes

After this startx works for normal users. Running dbus is not necessary.

EDIT: Also need to add user to video group or /dev/dri fails to open due to lack of permission.
                                man Xwrapper.config

I’m unsure which version of which antiX release you’re using (your post mentions 3 versions)

Why slim? you still need a username and password to be entered, which can be done in startx
                                . . .
                                Net installation CD, is a mess! All you need is the regular installation CD (base or full)
                                but without the apps just the base ones, the user installs xorg and whatever he wants, use .xinitrc and startx.

Did you overlook the availability of antiX “core” version?
                                No SliM, and as far as I can tell… it would fit what you described.
                                If you check it out, and it too misses the mark, please post back and provide a list of its unwanted (or missing) packages vs what you think would be ideal.

I cannot resist asking:
                                What is appealing in antiX?
                                What was lacking from the devuan+ratpoison system you already had (or still have) up-and-running?

macondo

Did you overlook the availability of antiX “core” version?
                                  No SliM, and as far as I can tell… it would fit what you described.
                                  If you check it out, and it too misses the mark, please post back and provide a list of its unwanted (or missing) packages vs what you think would be ideal.

I will try the core, but I don’t think it will be different from the net one. In an attempt to look geeky it fails, errors appear when there is no need for it IMHO.
                                  The regular installer (base and full) is perfect. For net and core just leave the base apps in and the rest of the apps out, including xorg. After reboot, the user installs xorg and whatever he wants, but use the SAME installer, do not invent the wheel or like we say in my neck of the woods: don’t look for a fifth leg in a cat.
                                  I find the menus cumbersome and with too many apps some of them repeated.

Whatever hapenned to “lean and mean”? You cannot be everything to everybody, lean and bloated with apps to make life easier for windoze refugees who will not learn Linux because we are trying to make life similar to what they had before. They continue “pointing and clicking” without understanding anything.
                                  I have to use slim, I cannot get rid of it without locking myself outta the OS,
                                  and leaving .xinitrc unusable because slim controls most of the options that otherwise would go there. If you want to use slim fine, but let the user be able to use startx.

The way it is now, you got things networked together with the (xxxxxx.antix)dependencies, you can’t get rid of something without the .antix dependencies, it’s endemic, reminds me of systemd in a way. I will probably be thrown out of the forum, but you wanted to know what I thought :)

I cannot resist asking:
                                  What is appealing in antiX?
                                  What was lacking from the devuan+ratpoison system you already had (or still have) up-and-running?

I like:
                                  1.No systemd
                                  2.Installer is great.

Nothing was lacking. Curiosity. I use the bsd distros (freebsd and openbsd) to see, compare… Been using antiX on and off for many years, since anti was a
                                  tongue-wagging revolutionary fluxbox addict. :)

Of course, I’m ignorant of the repercussions and politics that are involved in single-handled creating a distro, a man has to do what a man has to
                                  do. Peace!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.