Learning

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by noClue Feb 6-9:45 am.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

SolusUmbra

Can anyone recommend a book or really good website to learning more about using the linux systems?

noClue
    noClue

See if it helps.

P.S.
    Upload Error.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I use https://www.sendspace.com/

when sending big files online. It requires email exchange between users.

Go to youtube and watch Run with the dolphin videos for video help.There are tons of AntiX videos on youtube.

Besides Help in the menu selection.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

noClue
    noClue

Thanks rokytnji. Problem was already solved over PM.

P.S.
    Stupid thing about this forum software is:
    One writes something like I did, one marks the file for upload and clicks on ‘Send’ and then, after the message gets published, the file doesn’t get uploaded and quits with some ‘Error XYZ’ message. That’s what you get when you let monkeydonkeys program. That’s why ‘P.S.’
    😉

SolusUmbra

What was suppose to help?

noClue
    noClue

no Clue … Did you check your PM (private messages)? 😉

SolusUmbra

i have a pm?

noClue
    noClue

As it seems no. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Attachments:

seaken64

skidoo

seaken64, the page you linked to, it has the reader jumping through hoops
    (site registrations, download “ebooks”, find a suitable “ebook reader” program…)

I’ll suggest this as a starting point: tldp.org (The Linux Documentation Project)
    The TDPL basic linux guide, bash bash guide, advanced bash guide

For debian -centric documentation: https://wiki.debian.org/
    Because some of the material in debian wiki nowadays does focus on systemd, I don’t recommend reading the wiki as a “starting point” but it will be a valuable source of info for later learninig (also wiki.archlinux.org ~~ useful later, but can confuse a new debianite or antiX user who doesn’t yet recognize that some details mentioned in arch wiki do not apply, universally, across various distributions.)

i have a pm?

indeed, this forum’s PM notification is easily missed

caprea
    caprea

skidoo, The Linux Documentation Project is a very helpful link, didn’ know it.
    Bash-Scripting Guide and Bash guide look very interesting, thank you for that.
    Otherwise
    Always valid, there is no way around it, but especially for beginners:Learning by doing is the best

seaken64

I actually started with three books, one from Slackware, one from Red Hat, and one from SuSE. But mostly it is by doing. And there is always the MAN pages built in to the system.

Seaken64

BobC

You didn’t really clarify what you need to learn about. Linux is a big subject. Roky’s idea sounds good for basic how to install/configure/use info. There are a lot of antiX how to videos, and many more linux in general ones. skidoo is the Ace when it comes to technical info.

Myself, still learning forever it seems. Post the ideas and what was useful or not here so that others searching and finding this thread don’t just see someone sent a PM with answers, which might have been perfect for you at the time, but doesn’t help others finding this thread another day.

noClue
    noClue

@ BobC

I tried to upload a book without checking its size. It exceeded the max. upload size and gave out the error.
    Then I send him a PM with a download link, but he never found his PM. There’s not much more in that story.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.