libgtk2-perl

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders libgtk2-perl

• This topic has 18 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Dec 20-1:14 pm by fungalnet.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    fungalnetfungalnet

Howdy,
    After my exciting new installation from 19-runit experimentation became all nice and boring I jacked it up to sid. Some clean-up and all seemed ok but mirage stopped working after all upgrading. Is anyone else using it and having issues?
    I also tried to install this pkg and it wouldn’t let me:
    ‘The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libgtk2-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.28.1 but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Now I know I have the same installed in my main installation so I looked for something broken but nothing appeared broken. –fix-broken install

So I went back to my very old antix and noticed it was installed, it provides the functionality that I needed it for (it helps add icons to my obmenu-generator menu). When I tried (after dist-upgrade) to reinstall it (even though it appears installed) it throws the same error. Nothing appears as broken here either.

I don’t know how to find out anything about perlapi-5.28.1 it doesn’t appear as a pkg or part of a pkg.

Weird?

{double-triple post removed}

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by anticapitalista.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by skidoo.

Holy smokes, the forum software is off the rails…

“I don’t know how to find out anything about perlapi”

on a working system:

locate perlapi
    ^–v
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/CORE/perlapi.h

dpkg-query -S /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/CORE/perlapi.h
    ^–v
    libperl5.24:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/CORE/perlapi.h

visit h t t p s : //packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libperl&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
    From there, you can investigate which package version is (or is not) available from each debian repo suite,
    can read the linked changelogs, can inspect the archetecture-specific linked “list of files” page, etc.

perl-modules-5.28 has been removed from sid/buster
    because it depends on libgtk2-perl (which has been culled from sid and buster)

libgtk2-perl is pkg which (check my math, eh) doesn’t pollute the namespace, contains no known vulnerabilities, has no outstanding debian package BugTickets… it’s simply the victim of “declared deprecated” status.

(I suppose you’re aware of this, but mentioning the following b/c other readers may not be.)
    Perl programs are an architecture-agnostic, interpreted scripts. We can reasonably expect that this “dropped from sid/buster” perlish .deb, if retrieved from older debian repository (or, retrieve the pkg source code recompile it on your system) would still be fully functional…
    Because our past conversations have soured (to the point where you labeled me (“us” plural?) as a sissy teacher ), I’m not motivated to invest further effort here toward coaching discussing how to deal with the turmoil inherent to tracking sid.

fungalnetfungalnet

You have good memory but so do I. You said you were leaving but you are still around. Honestly, I am glad you are, even if exclusively never provided a single hint for me. I was new at antix then, you were a bit rough on your contact and I am a bit sensitive to such treatment, that’s all.
    Thanks for the locate hint, I never knew that such thing existed. Pacman and xbps have such tools incorporated into their pkg management, in similar fashion you expect apt (an antiquity) to do too many things and it can’t.
    One reason I always like to shift up to sid is because I have my cache from my main installation already available, but even then it still takes for ever to upgrade.

Anyway, locate perlapi returned nothing, so from what you are saying perl2.4 needs to be installed first, let’s see if it can. Again this is all for adding icons to my obmenu-generator and these old eyes have been trainned to identify icon shapes and colors instead of reading menu-entries. There is nothing else on my desktop, a picture, a conky screen, and a right click obmenu-generator menu when I need it. 99% of the time it is to open a terminal.

If antix can boot and run fine with s6/66 and ALL of sysvinit removed, then antix can boot and run with runit, that is a given. I am wondering what it will do on live, but I will not know till I try.

You are a good man skidoo, don’t let me discourage you or ruin your day, and thanks for your “coaching”.
    PEACE (bamn)

xinomiloxinomilo

libgtk2-perl isn’t installable in sid atm. check https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libgtk2-perl, it has some useful info/bug reports.
    there’s a working libgtk3-perl replacing it, since debian is slowly removing gtk2 parts from bullseye/sid.

fungalnetfungalnet

Thank you sourapple, I noticed the gtk3 pkg but I don’t think I can figure out a way to fool obmenu-generator to use it instead in order to be able to draw icons on the menu. Making temporary false links to stuff ends up creating a mesh eventually as I tend to forget I made them and something breaks thinking the real thing is there. Other distributions have kept gtk2 stuff and gtk3 stuff on, and some are still resisting the move to gtk3 retaining all of gtk2. Debian just abides by what the freedesktop gang dictates.

WRESTLING SPAMFILTER, WOUND UP WITH MULTIPLE POSTS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.