LibreOffice eats up 100% CPU arbitrary after random time when it looses focus

Forum Forums General Software LibreOffice eats up 100% CPU arbitrary after random time when it looses focus

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Oct 29-10:58 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robin

All stable versions of LibreOffice (buster and bullseye both) suffer from a bug, which cause the following symptoms.

— When having opened a document for editing in writer, when switching to another window, e.g. Firefox or another document, the CPU load from soffice.bin process will rise to 100% after an arbitrary period of time of some minutes up to some hours. This renders the system mostly unusable on weak hardware, or drains battery in notebooks at least on powerful multicore systems, on which you probably wouldn’t see a notable slowdown from this. You can bring down CPU usage from soffice.bin back to normal by giving focus to its window, but when loosing focus or miniming, it will power up to 100% again then immediately. A quick and dirty workaround is to click on “save” each time it happens, which will temporarily set back this issue, but it will return as before after an arbitrary period, sometimes two minutes later already. No sensible work possible.

Single constant fix is to upgrade to bullseye backported version on antiX 21 and antiX 22.

$ apt-cache policy libreoffice-writer
      libreoffice-writer:
        Installiert:           1:7.4.1-1~bpo11+2
        Installationskandidat: 1:7.4.1-1~bpo11+2
        Versionstabelle:
       *** 1:7.4.1-1~bpo11+2 100
              100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

This version is proven not showing this issue on 4.0.9 , 4.19.x, 5.10.x and 5.19.x kernels in antiX 21 and antiX 22.

Unfortunately there is no backport of this fixed Libreoffice version present on buster by now, so this issue can’t get fixed permanently on antiX 19 (and also not on antiX 17), where it happens all the same.

Possibly it would be a good idea to make the fixed backported version the default in antiX 21 and 22, since the Libreoffice people probably won’t fix the 100% CPU load issue in the stable bullseye version, they simply don’t know what causes it and which of the updates they applied has fixed it in bookworm version. So single option for bullseye users is to install from the backports.

Reference:
      Debian Bugtracker: Libreoffice

Btw, right now there exist severe security issues with all Libreoffice versions in antiX 17 and 19, and with the default stable versions in antiX 21 and 22:
      See Debian Security tracker
      The bug allows arbitrary macro code execution found in a document without warning, just like we are used to see in MS-Office.
      By now no fix for buster is available, while in bullseye either the update from “security” and also the beforementioned update from “backports” fixes this severe security issue. So antiX users should be highly encouraged to update, even when using it from Live USB Device.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

ModdIt

Highly recommended to read the bugtracker thread robin quoted,

Dismissive, derogaratory, discriminating comments. from Mister Rene Engelhard. Shame shame shame.

Blissfully unaware that older hardware is not worthless junk and spouting power efficiency of newer processors.

Has he ever thought the environmental cost of producing new machines and the waste caused by binning perfectly
        usable hardware. I think not.
        On top the fact that the hardware Robin uses would be considered modern and highly desirable in much of the the
        third world.

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

Just to point out that antiX-21 and antiX-22 default to using the Debian backports version of libreoffice.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Robin

Maybe I’m mistaken, but I believe I’ve found default debian version 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u1 of libreoffice on the antiX 21 stick I started with. Then now I upgraded manually to the version 1:7.4.1-1~bpo11+2 from bullseye-backports. Has this changed in later antiX 21 ISOs than the one my stick was originally created from?

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

@Robin – you are right – antiX-21 did ship with Debian buster version of libreoffice not the backports one (It should have shipped with the backports version though, but I must have goofed somewhere).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.