LibreOffice version for Antix 17?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions LibreOffice version for Antix 17?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by noClue Mar 5-2:43 am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DaveW

Hi, I’m using Antix 17.3.
    I’m having a minor problem with LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 (which seems to be the latest version in the antix repository). L.O. forum suggests upgrade to L.O. 6.1. Is there any reason not to download and install the file from their site (eg., system compatibility problems with Antix)? The issues are primarily with conversion of existing PPT presentations.

I recently tried SoftMaker Office 2018. It worked somewhat better in converting previous PPT presentations, but it also had a few conversion issues. Besides that, I was a little slow and missed their close-out sale on the 2018 version.

Thanks for your thoughts…

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I am not a clerk or office expert. I know though 6.0 is now using

Using LibreOffice with xmlsec from the system

https://vmiklos.hu/blog/system-xmlsec.html

Good luck. Maybe the MX package guys might have a say on this one.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libreoffice

locate xmlsec

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

caprea
    caprea

MX has a backported version, it’s 6.0.1, though.
    You could carefully give it a try
    http://la.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/libr/libreoffice/

or enable the debian-stretch-backports repo for just one installation.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by caprea.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

You could also download and try the provided appimage for LO

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

seaken64

You could also download and try the provided appimage for LO

when you say “provided appimage” does this mean from the LO site or from MX?

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by seaken64.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

LO site

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

DaveW

Okay. I successfully downloaded and installed LibreOffice 6.1.5 (deb.tar.gz) from the LO site.
    It appears to run fine on Antix 17.3. The new version did correct some minor frustration issues with Impress (but not all).

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I was worried that the LO deb install might conflict with Antix in some way, since the Antix repository holds an older version. So far, so good.

noClue
    noClue

I’m having a minor problem with LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 … The issues are primarily with conversion of existing PPT presentations.

I recently tried SoftMaker Office 2018. It worked somewhat better in converting previous PPT presentations, but it also had a few conversion issues. Besides that, I was a little slow and missed their close-out sale on the 2018 version.

If you often need PPT, neither one will work. Best bet is to simply install MS Office. LO & SMO are both having their issues with anything but the simplest PPT’s.

As for: “Besides that, I was a little slow and missed their close-out sale on the 2018 version.”, if you would need it, you would buy it, close-out sale here or there.
    If it’s too expensive, then you don’t need it. Besides, there is a completely free version of SoftMaker Office too. And — there’s also WPS Office for Linux. 😉

Or … you could try if the PowerPoint Online works for you.

Attachments:

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.